Thread: What kind of spatula do you use? page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

What kind of spatula do you use?

Shop Now
    I have searched the forum and Mark's blog, and have found out about the benefits of using a cast iron pan rather than those non-stick pans. I've been sauteing and frying my food in my new cast iron pan, and I love it. I've been wondering though, is my old plastic spatula still the best choice for cooking? What is a good material spatula that can withstand the heat of the cast iron pan without leaching chemicals into the food?

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    I use my regular metal spatula in the cast iron pan. Sometimes a wooden one or a silicone one if I'm just pushing veggies around. I avoid the plastic ones as the cast iron can get screaming hot!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I ruined my best plastic spatula when I accidentally left it leaning on the side of my cast iron pan. From that moment on, nothing but sturdy metal. I do have silicone spatulas that I use for scraping jars, but for the pans, the only thing that touch them are metal and wood.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    Ditto to the metal spatulas - plastic just can't hold up well enough...

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member
    I like sillicon. The problem with metal ones also comes from the same source as the problems with the plastic - leaving them resting against the pan a bit too long. And hot metal looks like cold metal - ouch!

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I use on old wooden one - not sure there are any benefits (although it doesn't get hot), I just happen to have it handy. Has lasted decades, while my non stick ones didn't last so long.

Buteo is offline Member
    I use wooden ones to avoid scratching my pans.