Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any point in learning to lift heavy? page 4

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I actually do squats once a week in addition to BBS with the leg presses. They are definitely good for core, and you can feel them getting worked while you are going up and down with the weight. My point is that planks are a decent safety measure and complementary to squats and dead lifts. I ignored core for most of my life and now that I have more of a focus I feel like I have more control when lifting -- I'm using more of my body.
    Abs by Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    So, to summarize: Your informed opinion as someone who doesn't squat or deadlift is that planks have a more profound impact on your "core" than squatting, and deadlifting?

Planks are a great exercise, but stabilizing your trunk while holding yourself up on your elbows and toes can't compare to stabilizing your trunk while pulling 2 or 3 times your body weight.
    Nice summary, Rich

miata is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Thanks. Good link. Rippetoe really doesn't like sit-ups and crunches and nether do I. I'll still do the planks, but may have to finally add dead lifts to my routine.

Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Thanks. Good link. Rippetoe really doesn't like sit-ups and crunches and nether do I. I'll still do the planks, but may have to finally add dead lifts to my routine.
    Planks are an isometric contraction, the same kind of contraction produced during a heavy barbell lift. If you do heavy barbell lifts, and thus train your abs to contract under a heavy load, do you honestly think a bodyweight isometric contraction will have any effect on abdominal strength? It's a bit like doing bodyweight squats after barbell squats to make your legs stronger.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    So, to summarize: Your informed opinion as someone who doesn't squat or deadlift is that planks have a more profound impact on your "core" than squatting, and deadlifting?

Planks are a great exercise, but stabilizing your trunk while holding yourself up on your elbows and toes can't compare to stabilizing your trunk while pulling 2 or 3 times your body weight.
    Agreed. I do compound lifts which work my core, but I do planks too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234