Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any point in learning to lift heavy? page 2

boomingno is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    http://startingstrength.com/articles...e_sullivan.pdf

Read this. You'll decide to lift heavy.
    Damnit man, I'm at work here... but I cannot follow a link to that article without reading it.

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spuggygirl View Post
    Do it. Because it's great fun, if for no other reason. It'll also make you feel awesome!

Best thing I ever did.
    *high five*

plus, doing deadlifts gives you an excuse to wear fun knee-socks

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Do it. Because it's great fun, if for no other reason. It'll also make you feel awesome!

Best thing I ever did.
    This.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    I've been taking a weights class twice a week for a year or so now. I love it and it has helped me get strong and fit. Along with eating primal I have lost weight and inches and feel great.

Now I have the opportunity to learn to lift heavy (whatever that means, I only have the vaguest idea).

It kind of intrigues me but on the other hand I am not into extremes and do not want to risk injuring myself when I'm feeling the best ever.

So, just wondering, what would be the point in me upping the ante here? Pros and cons? Other suggestions for new goals.

My details: Age 48, Gender F, height 5'4", weight 59kg.
    I think lifting heavy means that you will specifically attempt to make progress in how much you can lift. In other words, strength training, as opposed to just exercising.

The pros of strength training:
    - It really feels great to see progress. It's quite reinforcing to put more weight and succeed in lifting what you could not lift before.
    - Building muscle feels great.
    - Building muscle tells your body that you are still growing and if you are growing you are not dying. It's healthy. It stimulates all sorts of healthy hormones in your body.
    - You will probably have to eat a lot more. Some women feel this is a good thing.

The cons:
    - You can outlift your capabilities and hurt yourself. I did that. So be careful and don't be afraid to take your progress slower if you need to. Progress is progress.
    - Your waist might get smaller and your thighs bigger. Pants seemed designed for big waist, tiny thighs so this will make you mad.
    - You will probably have to eat more to get stronger. Most women struggle with this, especially with giving themselves permission to eat enough.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Your waist might get smaller and your thighs bigger. Pants seemed designed for big waist, tiny thighs so this will make you mad.
    Oh, yes, this drives me nuts. I'm a guy, and 80% of the jeans out there are now "skinny" or "slim", which I don't think can even fit around my arms, much less legs. I basically always have to choose baggy pants, or go up in waist size. So annoying!

I also noticed some stores are doing the same with dress shirts. I tried on these nice shirts recently, one size my arms would literally not fit in the sleeves. A size larger and my arms would fit very tight but there would be a giant amount of space in the stomach area, like you could easily fit a basketball in there.

It seems fashion is designed for men with big stomachs, and tiny arms and legs. Spider fit?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    I tried on these nice shirts recently, one size my arms would literally not fit in the sleeves. A size larger and my arms would fit very tight but there would be a giant amount of space in the stomach area, like you could easily fit a basketball in there.
    Oh this made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I think lifting heavy means that you will specifically attempt to make progress in how much you can lift. In other words, strength training, as opposed to just exercising.

The pros of strength training:
    - It really feels great to see progress. It's quite reinforcing to put more weight and succeed in lifting what you could not lift before.
    - Building muscle feels great.
    - Building muscle tells your body that you are still growing and if you are growing you are not dying. It's healthy. It stimulates all sorts of healthy hormones in your body.
    - You will probably have to eat a lot more. Some women feel this is a good thing.

The cons:
    - You can outlift your capabilities and hurt yourself. I did that. So be careful and don't be afraid to take your progress slower if you need to. Progress is progress.
    - Your waist might get smaller and your thighs bigger. Pants seemed designed for big waist, tiny thighs so this will make you mad.
    - You will probably have to eat more to get stronger. Most women struggle with this, especially with giving themselves permission to eat enough.
    Oh thanks for this feedback. I do love to eat, and I am already at a stage where I have enough muscle that I need to/can afford to eat plenty. In fact sometimes it's already annoying like on a workout day, I get so hungry and roam around looking for more food. I will weight up your other points, thanks.

Best thing I ever did.
    Thanks Spuggy, and it seems there are plenty who agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    http://startingstrength.com/articles...e_sullivan.pdf

Read this. You'll decide to lift heavy.
    Excellent article, thankyou Rich.

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I think there is no reason NOT to lift heavy, and every reason to give it a go!! What's the worst that can happen, really? (Uh... I can't think of any... aside from not fitting stupid clothes designed for fat people!)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast