Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To cheat or not to cheat - this is the question page

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member

To cheat or not to cheat - this is the question

Shop Now
    I have recently come back to the primal lifestyle and am enjoying it again. In everything I read about weight loss it says to remember to reward yourself. I have been looking at books and blogs for how to address some the issues that may be the underlying factor to my weight in the first place and while reading I came across a personal story of a guy who planned to have three "treats" a week as a way of helping him manage the cravings, limit the slip ups in eating and to stop him from binge eating outright. His treats could be anything he wanted. While online I came across the same guy in a blog and he has now overhauled his eating to cut out "treat days" completely. His rational is that you would not give an ex-smoker a cigarette to celebrate his quitting smoking nor would you give a recovering alcoholic a drink to celebrate his sobriety, so why would you give someone who binges the foods they are addicted to as a way of treating for staying on track. This got me thinking about how we celebrate staying on track or riding out a particularly harrowing day where we want foods that maybe are not right for us and also made me realize I need to do something other than eat the crap foods as my reward for sticking to the lifestyle. So fellow cave dwellers in an attempt to find some inspiration and ideas for rewards: what do you do to treat yourself for a job well done? Is it non-primal food, buying that new thing you always wanted, taking the trip of your dream, or is it something else entirely?
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    I have a glass of wine every night with dinner, I count it as part of my 20% allowance.

I also like to buy new clothes if I loose weight, sometimes its just new exercise gear (as in the not so baggy cover all type) or it might be something a bit nicer.

As part of my lifestyle I try to take time out to do things just for me, I work and have kids so I'm pretty busy, but I still try to make a real effort to do this. So I'll book myself in for an hour long massage, or a trip to the hairdresser or maybe a manicure or pedicure. Something along those lines. The other night I decided to have a night out with some friends and we did dinner and a movie. Those are kind of rewards that make life worth getting out of bed for.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I look at myself naked in a mirror.

I honestly don't feel the need to reward myself for eating delicious food that makes me feel awesome. But everyone's different and rewards are nice.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by little vase View Post
    I look at myself naked in a mirror.

I honestly don't feel the need to reward myself for eating delicious food that makes me feel awesome. But everyone's different and rewards are nice.
    Same here. Every meal's a treat. Buying new clothes that fit and flatter is a treat. Picking up a tennis racquet and finding myself inexplicably capable of chasing and hitting the ball is a reward.

Occasional eating of non-primal items is neither a treat nor a cheat, as long as it stays under 20%. Going above that, I would not consider I was still following primal.
    Last edited by Annieh; 04-11-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    I buy clothes, music, a kitchen gadget or something else I really want

I don't reward with food

peppermint is offline Member
    Do I want to eat something that will make me feel good or make me feel bad?

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Mark's done a few posts on sensible indulgences. I agree with the sentiment. When your compliant meals are grass-fed steaks garnished with buttered vegetables, why would you want to "cheat?"

If you mean a little dark chocolate and red wine, count them as part of the lifestyle and use them in a way that fits with your goals.

If you mean a bagel, there's something wrong in your head!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I don't see anything wrong with eating an occasional primal treat, I guess... if it helps you stay on track (I know when I started primal eating I liked the occasional treat). But I think non food rewards are best! Part of the issues many people have with their weight is that they've grown up considering junk food as a "reward" for some good behaviour.

There are lots of better ways to reward yourself for staying on track!

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    I guess it depends on how one views refined oil, sugar, and grains. Do we put them on a pedestal of delicious rapture and avoid them out of sheer cognitive restraint? Or do we toss them in the trash because we deserve better?

I definitely have "fat kid" brain and understand celebrating with food but nowadays it's going to be something like a large primal meal, expensive primal meal, or fruity/creamy/nutty dessert. In a past life I would have celebrated with a Subway combo and gas station donuts... *shudder*

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I guess it depends on how one views refined oil, sugar, and grains. Do we put them on a pedestal of delicious rapture and avoid them out of sheer cognitive restraint? Or do we toss them in the trash because we deserve better?
    Have to say losing my taste for all of the above (except for sugar in extreme moderation, a la 90% dark chocolate) sure made this an easy choice.

Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    I definitely have "fat kid" brain and understand celebrating with food but nowadays it's going to be something like a large primal meal, expensive primal meal, or fruity/creamy/nutty dessert. In a past life I would have celebrated with a Subway combo and gas station donuts... *shudder*
    My sentiments exactly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast