Thread: Newbie's night-time munchies page

barkingupthewrongdog is offline Junior Member

Question Newbie's night-time munchies

Hello all,

I'd like to start this post with a plea, which is: Please don't judge me.
    As a primal beginner, (been at this for almost a couple of weeks) I was wondering if anyone had any tips to avoid the temptations of late night snacks, a terrible habit which I think has been ingrained (please excuse the pun) from the highs and lows of eating too many grains!

It always gets to about 10pm and right now, even fruit, nuts a slice of bacon seems appealing, is late night snacks/ supper something Grok might have once done?

I'm trying to not eat anything after about 7:30, but obviously evening meals happens later on some nights due to other commitments etc...I'm not ready to throw myself into a routine of IF just yet, although I have dabbled in it, just how can I kick the habit of wandering down to the kitchen when I should really just suck it up and do something else?
    Any recovered evening munchers

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    It's probably not a great habit since the digestion might throw off your circadian clock and we tend to hold snacks to a lower nutritional standard than meal foods.

If it's only ritual, maybe switch to something noncaloric like herb tea or pickles. Over time you may decide you're already fully nourished and it's not worthwhile. If it's sincere hunger, take a second look at your dinner and reinforce it.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    You could approach it various ways. eg going to bed before the munches set in. eating more substantially during the day so that the munchies don't hit at all. staving them off with a herbal tea as suggested above. or feeding them with something primal.

Since you are just getting started I think it's probably more important to make sure that whatever you do have is primal and will nourish you than to battle trying to not eat at all. I sometimes like a warm milk drink and a piece of chocolate at that time if I have only had three small meals during the day, especially if I also exercised. Frozen berries blended with cream makes a delicious dessert/supper like softfreeze icecream.

However usually I'm no longer hungry because I would probably eat breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner and that's generally plenty for me.

kathyd is offline Junior Member
    I've always been a night time eater. I can go all day without eating, but as soon as I sit in front of the TV, that's all I can think about.

I know you shouldn't eat close to bed time - but what I've found works for me is not eating dinner until 7:00ish when I sit down to watch TV. Certainly not primal behavior, but it's been working for me for the last couple months.

barkingupthewrongdog is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the hinters and tips guys, yeah I'm definitely an evening muncher, I'm never that hungry first thing in the morning and usually have a late breakfast/ brunch then dinner with the odd handful of fruit or nuts in between. May make dinner more protein rich and see if that helps (I'm a girl btw to the person that asked!) I always keep my snacks primal, but it may raise a few eyebrows if I start grilling bacon at anything after 9pm!

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathyd View Post
    I've always been a night time eater. I can go all day without eating, but as soon as I sit in front of the TV, that's all I can think about.

I know you shouldn't eat close to bed time - but what I've found works for me is not eating dinner until 7:00ish when I sit down to watch TV. Certainly not primal behavior, but it's been working for me for the last couple months.
    What would Grok have done? Would he have said, "The roast is done and you guys haven't eaten since yesterday, but nobody should eat because it's too close to bedtime"? Not on your life. They'd have eaten themselves silly and slept for days.

november is offline Member
    I have the same problem! Except I also take Ambien (yeah real Primal, I know, but I've had severe insomnia since I was a kid and it's the only thing that works) which acts as a disinhibitor and makes that midnight bowl of walnuts and berries drizzled in maple syrup sound like a fabulous idea. The good news is that I usually do stick to approved foods whereas I used to go for bread, peanut butter, etc., but I still end up packing in a lot of calories at the end of the day. I'm not exactly the queen of willpower to begin with, but after Ambien, any resistance that I had totally dissolves. I've tried eating a large breakfast and getting the bulk of my calories earlier in the day, but that seems to make me hungrier at night if anything. I think the poster above who suggested herbal tea or something low calorie like some berries has the right idea...maybe give yourself the psychological benefit of having something to eat/drink but gradually reduce the amount or shift the type of food to something less heavy. Writing out a meal plan for the day and keeping it somewhere visible can be helpful too. Sometimes a reminder of the food I have eaten shows me that no, I really don't need 400 calories worth of almond butter right now!

I have noticed that I sleep better and my joints feel less inflamed if I avoid night eating which tells me it's probably for the best...but it's actually a really difficult habit to break.
    Last edited by november; 04-12-2013 at 06:19 PM.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    What has helped me is going to bed earlier... I find that with the late night snack (for me the craving shows around 11pm or 12am), if I am already in bed sleeping, or trying to sleep, I find I won't get the craving.

Stay out of range of the kitchen--I always never want to get out of bed once I've gotten in
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.