Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D (D3) supplements are a product of irradiation? page

OnTheRun is offline Junior Member

Vitamin D (D3) supplements are a product of irradiation?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

Something in my research on Vitamin D (D3 form, Cholecalciferol) has alarmed me.

Cholecalciferol is produced industrially by the irradiation of 7-dehydrocholesterol extracted from lanolin found in sheep's wool.
    Source: Wikipedia..verified elsewhere.

Aren't we all meant to be avoiding goods that are irradiated or is it ok in this instance? I hope I've missed something.

Unless it's a different kind of irradiation process, there's a worldwide fuss over the irradiation of food such as eggs, vegetables and so on, currently. They suggest it might
    cause chemical changes which are harmful to the consumer
    What's your take on it guys & girls?

P.S. also - even though I live in Australia, I spend a lot of my time in an office, so I feel I don't get anywhere near the amount of sun exposure I need to produce sufficient Vitamin D myself.
    Hence.. the hunt for a D3 supplement.
    Last edited by OnTheRun; 05-07-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: added info.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Most D3 supplements are fish liver-sourced (and will say so on the label) so I wouldn't worry about it. When I used to sell vitamins, we only had one brand that even made a lanolin-sourced D3.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    Most D3 supplements are fish liver-sourced (and will say so on the label) so I wouldn't worry about it. When I used to sell vitamins, we only had one brand that even made a lanolin-sourced D3.
    What? No. I have never found a D3 supplement that's not made from lanolin. It seems pretty safe. It's better than D2 at least...

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Arrggh now I want to throw my D3 away because of this.

john_e_turner_ii is online now Senior Member
    This is just what I was talking about on the thread I started today: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...sed-about-diet

OnTheRun is offline Junior Member
    With regard to Cod Liver Oil and Vitamin D, a Weston A Price article has the following to say:

from the 5 steps of typical CLO manufacturing:
    4. Deodorization, which removes pesticides, PCBs, most of vitamin D and quite a bit of the vitamin A.
    5. Add vitamins (either natural or synthetic) to meet standards or the requirements of the retailers.

Each of the first three stages removes some vitamins but it is the deodorization step that takes out the most. This is why processors then add the vitamins back in. The shocking discovery I made is that usually the vitamins added are synthetic--retinol palmitate and vitamin D3 made by irradiating lanolin with ultra-violet light.
    Source

I can't imagine the manufacturers would be able [or have incentive] to save the vitamins & minerals being removed during that process?

Interestingly in another article on their site, there are brand recommendations for high quality oils, with 'tips' geographically. From what I can tell, these oils will contain large amounts of 'natural' Vitamin D... so may be a far better source of Vitamin D than D3 tablets, of which a large proportion (99.99%?) seem to be made via the irradiation process I described in the original post.

Looks like the Blue Ice brand might be the go for me! Raw, organic flavoured options. Pretty expensive... Maybe I'll just go shirtless during my lunch break lol
    Last edited by OnTheRun; 05-08-2010 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    What? No. I have never found a D3 supplement that's not made from lanolin. It seems pretty safe. It's better than D2 at least...
    Well, I worked as a supplement retail buyer for a decade and there are plenty of brands that use fish liver oil and not lanolin.
    Here are some:
    Jarrow
    Carlson
    Nordic Naturals
    Bluebonet
    Solgar
    Solaray
    Kal

And, yes- it's safe.
    For those concerned about irradiated lanolin, it's not "irradiated" like food is; it's exposed to UVB radiation, which is necessary to convert it to cholcalciferol- just like our skin is exposed to solar radiation and produces D. Remember, there are different forms of radiation and "irradiation" is simply an umbrella term for radiation exposure. They're not "nuking" it, if that's what you're concerned about (since they're not using gamma rays or electron beams):

One practice for generating the D3 found in supplements involves sheep's wool. Sheep (and many other animals) have sebaceous glands in their skin that secrete a complex variety of substances, including cholesterol (in the form of 7-dehydrocholesterol). The secretions from the sebaceous glands naturally find their way into the animal's fur. A supplement manufacturer wanting to produce vitamin D3 supplements can remove the secretions from the fur (in this case sheep's wool), process and purify the 7-dehydrocholesterol, expose it to UVB (ultra-violet B) light, and thereby convert it into cholecalciferol.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    Most are lanolin sourced now. It's rare to find fish liver sourced by like hazyjane said, it's fine.

There is a huge and growing body of vitamin D evidence using supplements - lanolin sourced supplements.

Take them when you cant sufficient D from the sun (which is most of the time). It's too important. Too incredibly important.

K

It's been 2 years since I quit the supplement retail and I wonder if they are using lanolin more now due to dwindling fisheries? At any rate, I think lanolin is just fine and yes, it's so important to get adequate D. Many people of northern European descent and also people with thyroid issues don't adequately manufacture D from sunlight.
    There's a doc in San Diego (very sunny all year-round) who says that the majority of his patents test deficient in D. That doesn't bode so well for the rest of us in non sunny locales! I'd like to get my levels tested.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast