Thread: Sweet saliva? page

rahallahan is offline Junior Member

Sweet saliva?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have an odd question that I, for the life on me cannot find an answer to. I started The Primal Blueprint with my husband about a week ago. I have been doing really well, staying between 60-75 carbs a day. I feel great, I am hardly ever hungry and I have tons of energy. I am not sleeping amazingly yet though, but I'm sure that will come. The weird thing that is happening is I have a sweet taste in my mouth ALL THE TIME. Almost as if my saliva is sweet now. It tastes very good and I am not bothered by it at all. I just want to know why it is happening. My breath does not smell any different, it is just the taste that is different. Anybody know what is causing this?

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like the results of ketosis. Is 60-75 carbs per day a lot lower than you are used to?

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Could be that your taste buds are adjusting to life without sugar. Everything tastes sweeter to me now.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Oh yeah!! I was on a normal American diet before we started this. I ate very well at dinner time but the rest of the day had plenty of carbs and grains.

That is what I thought too, but it is all the time. Like when I wake up in the middle of the night, my mouth is sweet, during exercise when my mouth salivates more, very sweet.

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Funky. I've never heard of that... you learn something new every day, I guess.

Perhaps it is simply that you used to have a BAD taste in your mouth for some reason, and now when it's gone, normality seem to taste better because it is a relief compared to the former, even if you never consciously recognized it?

I've also experienced that everything tastes sweeter. Grass-fed eggs come upon my tastebuds like a symphony, bacon is a thousand drunken Irish angels stepdancing over the green fields of taste! I had a jug of fanta a while ago, though... I had to spit it out, because it was so incredibly disgusting. All sugar, salt, and a bunch of things that tasted artificial and that I couldn't even swallow. I used to love Fanta. I used to friggin' live for Fanta. So, yes, taste does change with what you eat. I'm much happier this way, though - an egg and some salad tastes so much better to me now than Fanta ever did.