Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone out there porkless Primal? page

Dickson is offline Senior Member

Anyone out there porkless Primal?

Shop Now
    So this may go against the grain a bit, especially since Primal and pork (specifically, bacon) go hand and hand. I'm trying to go pork-free permanently, and while it isn't necessarily hard, it also isn't as easy as I'd like.

Growing up on a small poultry farm, I did a lot of chicken butchering as a teen (sounds really creepy...). I greatly respect chickens/turkeys, and always enjoyed raising them. That being said, it was never difficult to butcher chickens because I can honestly say the birds are quite dumb.

My friends would have me help with slaughtering their swine after the County fair, and let me tell you that it is an incredibly difficult affair. These were small, ma-and-pa operations that raised the pigs ethically and the pigs had pretty great lives. They sold the meat in co-ops, and people like the fine folks here would pay a premium for the product. Even in these conditions, the butchering is pretty horrifying. You really can't kill a pig ethically, primarily because it needs to be bled out. Interestingly, some places will inject the pigs with sedatives before slaughter to be humane, but that ruins the organic aspect. I'm not trying to sound soft-hearted, but I think most consumers are separated from the process and the animals.

It just seems strange to me that because eating pork is so normal (and let's be honest, it's delicious), we overlook the fact that domestic swine are a very evolutionary advanced species. On top of that, the physiological similarities to humans also makes it strange. If a pig-heart can last longer in a human than another human's/chimp heart, what does that say? As a western culture we abhore eating dogs/cats for their symbiotic relationship with us, and apes/dolphins for their intelligence.

Anyways, sorry for the long/rambling post with no clear purpose, but does has anyone else drawn the line on eating pork (besides 1/2 the world who does so through religion)?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Nah, I'm with the other 1/2 of the world .

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    My husband and I rarely eat pork except for bacon and certain kinds of sausage, but that's because neither of us care for the taste of pork. While pigs are a decent human stand in in many cases, anatomically; I've never drawn a line on what I'll eat, so long as I didn't personally know the animal. Anything, when prepared correctly, is fair game. Were it legal and not compounded by other murky ethics, I'd gladly eat the still beating heart of my enemy.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Nope. Pastured Heritage Breed (Berkshire and Large Black) pork are my favourites (especially the belly).
    Last edited by Metric; 04-11-2013 at 09:55 AM.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    For the most part, I am. I actually like the taste of pork, but have read and been told by my doctor that pigs and humans are so similar genetically that our bodies react to pork similar to cannibalism. And then having been told that cannibalistic societies refer to humans as "long pork"...well, let's just say I've got a mental block on it now. Maybe there is something to all these cultures that have long considered pork "unclean".
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Dickson is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    My husband and I rarely eat pork except for bacon and certain kinds of sausage, but that's because neither of us care for the taste of pork. While pigs are a decent human stand in in many cases, anatomically; I've never drawn a line on what I'll eat, so long as I didn't personally know the animal. Anything, when prepared correctly, is fair game. Were it legal and not compounded by other murky ethics, I'd gladly eat the still beating heart of my enemy.
    So, if cooked to be tasty you'd eat a stranger's golden retriever? Sounds pretty brave, but I don't buy it. Even as a hunter and an ex-farm kid, I think the world would have a lot more vegetarians if everyone had to kill their own food with a knife.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    If I knew it to be safe food, yes, I'd try a bite. After eating venison liver from a deer killed earlier that morning, my only line is that I know the meat to be clean. (One reason I refuse to eat squirrel.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    It just seems strange to me that because eating pork is so normal (and let's be honest, it's delicious), we overlook the fact that domestic swine are a very evolutionary advanced species. On top of that, the physiological similarities to humans also makes it strange. If a pig-heart can last longer in a human than another human's/chimp heart, what does that say? As a western culture we abhore eating dogs/cats for their symbiotic relationship with us, and apes/dolphins for their intelligence.
    Yip, that's the reason I avoid pork too! I never buy it or order it. The only time I eat it is when someone cooks it at a dinner party or something. Apparently we share 95% of our DNA with them... It just creeps me out a bit.

Then there's also Ray Peat's insight that pork is full of PUFA and therefore unhealthy.

Plus they are ridiculously cute

tumblr_mdyjm2Vt0f1rkq10eo1_500.jpg
    Last edited by YogaBare; 04-11-2013 at 12:03 PM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Except for the odd slice of bacon on my burger, I've been avoiding pork lately. I think it's psychological in part. It kinda happened after I read about all the similarities between pigs and humans. Now it just tastes off to me.

I tend to favor beef and lamb over pork and chicken - both because they are ruminant meats and because their economy from sustainbale farms is superior. The pork I do eat (Tamworth, Yorkshire, Berkshire and Large Black pigs) is vastly superior to the horrid stuff from grocery stores, which may as well be boiled rat. As for concerns over evolutionary similarities, we share ~97% of our genes with mice and rats, and that's not stopping me from killing the buggers if they get into the garage over winter and eat my grass seed. Actaully, we share most of our genes with other mammals, inviting the slippery slope argument toward vegetarianism. I understand that killing an animal and eating it is not pretty or happy business, but I have weighed all of this and decided to eat what I eat.

Yes, there is the argument that it's easy to eat what others kill, but that's the nature of societies: we have a division of labor, whereby people specialize in doing what others don't wish to do. I don't particularly care about automobile mechanics, so fix me up and get me on my way: here's a swipe of my card, which now enables you to go buy pork: and now the pork farmer can go buy clothing for his family: hooray for cooperation. That said, I think it is instructive for people to know where their food comes from, and moral to choose the most humane and sustainable practices. Vote with your wallet. In this we have the choice to remove power from the shitty conditions at Smithfield farms, and to reward Farmer Smith down the road a bit, with his pigs who have free run of pasture, sunshine, and rooting for apples and food appropriate for a pig.

In fact, supporting permaculture and sustainable farms, those with pastured livestock, helps larger environmental issues exacerbated by monoculture (whether they feed CAFOs or vegetarians). It's all synergistic. I'll eat a pork chop to save the earth, thank you.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast