Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Anyone out there porkless Primal? page 4

ombat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    the cannibalism aspect makes me want to eat it even more
    Oh thank god I'm not the only one who thought that.

Why aren't we also having this discussion about chicken? Poor living conditions, inhumane slaughter, corn/soy diet, high PUFA content. I'm just curious as it seems they would go together in this type of argument, neglecting the "pigs are cute" part (which, going back to the OP, that is kind of what this is about...) Anyway, I'm more concerned with the health aspects.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ombat View Post

Why aren't we also having this discussion about chicken?
    I agree.

Just because it seems cannibalistic, what's so bad about that anyway? I get the thing about bacteria and viruses easily infecting human flesh, but is there anything else wrong with that...not that I'm saying cannibalism is awesome; just wondering why it's bad for health.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I agree.

Just because it seems cannibalistic, what's so bad about that anyway? I get the thing about bacteria and viruses easily infecting human flesh, but is there anything else wrong with that...not that I'm saying cannibalism is awesome; just wondering why it's bad for health.

Why aren't we also having this discussion about chicken? Poor living conditions, inhumane slaughter, corn/soy diet, high PUFA content. I'm just curious as it seems they would go together in this type of argument, neglecting the "pigs are cute" part (which, going back to the OP, that is kind of what this is about...) Anyway, I'm more concerned with the health aspects.
    Cannibalism: remember what happened when people decided to feed cows to cows? Bovine spongiform encephalopathy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pig meat is very inflammatory: I knew this even before I knew what a PUFA or Omega six was. For a few years I was dating a guy who grew up on a farm where they raised their own pigs. Organic, healthy blah blah blah. Anyway, while we were together, he developed a chronic, acute pain in his leg. There were times when he literally couldn't walk more than 100 metres without excruciating agony. We got a lot of taxis He went to doctors, got scans, and he tried everything for it. No one could diagnose what it was.

Years later we were talking, and I asked about his leg. He told me that he'd gone to a natoropath who told him to give up pork. Guess what? No more pain. His mum is back raising pigs again, but he says that even if he has a bite of an organic piggie he'll start to feel the twinge.

That's enough evidence for me!

But in addition to the health aspect, pigs are extremely intelligent animals: more so than dogs. I wouldn't eat dolphin either.

And yeah. The cuteness factor (that was me, Ombat, not the OP. Not everyone is so superficial about how good looking their food is )

I would love to have one as a pet but it might be too dangerous...

chanchi0206.jpg
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by Dickson View Post
    You really can't kill a pig ethically, primarily because it needs to be bled out.
    patently false. every small mom+pop pork operation i can think of or have seen on tv, etc, does 1 shot to the head, hung up and throat cut immediately. i've even seen some operations actually feed the pig a dish of food so the pig is just nibbling away when it meets its instant demise. as far as i can tell, thats just about the most humane way i can think of dying. practically nobody/no animal dies in their sleep in some sort of fairytale fashion. so i bullet to the brain pretty much seems like a humane death to me.

that being said, for health reasons, i still limit my pork consumption to once per week, usually some sort of local uncured bacon with my breakfast.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Why aren't we also having this discussion about chicken?
    "Okay, have you ever been around chickens? They are stupid, uncooperative, inconvenient, ill-tempered creatures. They get what they deserve. F*$% chickens" -Mark Rippetoe

But good point. I limit chicken and pork and meet most of my (significant) needs for meat with delicious ruminants.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    also, baby anythings are cute but when they grow up.. woo. fell down the ugly tree and hit every branch
    Mmm... Suckling pig...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I would really like to know how we "react to cannibalism". Outside of it being taboo and giving a person the heebee jeebees, what physiological damage does eating humans actually do? And who did the research? Cultures that practiced cannibalism did so ritualistically. Nobody ever eats people as a dietary staple. I can't imagine that it would do any long term damage other than the kind of damage it might do to eat killer whale or some other top-predator species.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Faumdano is offline Member
    Food for thought: pork is by far the most eaten meat in Japan (not to mention Okinawa). Beef (domestic) is loved of course, but it's much too damned expensive to eat on even a semi-regular basis.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    It's nice to see the paleo folks drifting away from excessive bacon consumption, because that's a common stereotype amongst the blogosphere.

Pork is really nasty. Whenever I ate it, I always felt real awful, an awful feeling so awful it was only rivaled by seed oil consumption, soy(dear god pls no) and nuts(sans peanuts, those are more tolerable to me)
    nihil

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hmmm. Whenever I eat a Berkshire pork chop, I feel downright zippy. No ill effects from bacon, either. Different strokes.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast