Thread: Intermittent Fasting video from PBS...very interesting stuff...!!! page

rspacher is offline Member

Intermittent Fasting video from PBS...very interesting stuff...!!!

Found this link...

Its a very interesting take on Intermittent fasting...they call Alternate Day Fasting...
    Gonna show this to several of my family members...they don't understand it at all when I do it...think i am nuts...

I usually do any IF on the weekend, Saturday and Sunday...like it that way...

Not trying to promote any idea over any other...

Just more information to think about...

Video: Eat, Fast and Live Longer with Michael Mosley | Watch Michael Mosley Online | PBS Video

Added this link...The Truth About Exercise with Michael Mosley
    http://video.pbs.org/video/2364989581
    Last edited by rspacher; 04-11-2013 at 10:53 AM.

HayMaker is offline Junior Member
    This originally ran on the BBC last year I believe. There are a number of threads discussing it if you do a search.

I only caught it last week or so and was really intrigued by the 5:2 approach he adopted. I started doing this myself and am just finishing my first week. I've had 2 fasting days and didn't find them hard to do at all. I went on a 4 mile run the day after my first fast and really struggled quite a bit. Then I ran on my next fasting day where I had breakfast about 7:00am and then did my run at 6:30pm and found it much easier. I'm going to stick with it and see how far I can go, but I like the flexibility of any 2 days a week fasting versus the more regimented alternate day fasting.
    The question is, are you going to die sitting on the sofa - or doing something interesting?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Really interesting video. I have been thinking about doing 2 full fast days a week again. Lost my ability to fast a year ago or so, hoping it will be easier well.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    DH DVRed this and we watched it last night. It was an interesting show. It annoyed me a bit, though, that it was so superficial. Can you eat crap on non-fast days and still get all the benefits? Really? How does a daily 16/8 compare? They made the calorie restricted guy look as unappetizing as possible, I'm sure to make the 5/2 promoted in Mosley's book look easier. I mean 1900 cal/day for a 140 lb guy is lowish, but not crazy. If he was doing 16/8 with a modest lunch, dinner could be pretty normal.

It kind of reminded me of "Super-size Me" that way. Set up for maximum drama with tons of questions not addressed at all.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Can you eat crap on non-fast days and still get all the benefits?
    Yes, apparently! Someone just joined the ADF support thread and shared this:

Yep, I ate the typical SAD diet, with JUDDD, and lost almost 40 pounds-started in November, took time off for Christmas and had a week of uds/parties, got back on plan in January and hit goal beginning of March. Switched to Mosley's 5:2 plan for maintenance and kept losing so now I do one 700-900 md on Mondays and a 600ish dd on Thursdays. Lost the weight eating gobs of sugar, bad carbs etc. JUDDD really does only cares about the calories. However, even though recent blood work came back good, I want to switch to a more primal way of eating, in big part because I know too many people my age (30s), who are being diagnosed with cancer. Now IF/JUDDD is supposed to reduce your risk of cancer, but I want to stack the odds as much in my favor as possible, by cutting out sugar, processed carbs etc

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I wish they had done a bit more analysis of the variation in IGF levels. Do they go down during a 24 hour fast? For how long? How long do they need to be down to get any benefits?

I would do this in the context of primal eating for the additional health benefits.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I wish they had done a bit more analysis of the variation in IGF levels. Do they go down during a 24 hour fast? For how long? How long do they need to be down to get any benefits?

I would do this in the context of primal eating for the additional health benefits.
    Yeah, this is the part that annoyed me. They measured a few things, but were kind of vague on what's really necessary to realize actual health benefits beyond weight loss.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related