Thread: Nutrient balance page

Vick is offline Senior Member

Nutrient balance

My research since going primal has indicated that nutrient balance is very important when it comes to long term health.

We know about the omega 3 to 6 ratio is important. So is potassium to sodium.

Rather than highjack another thread... when I posted that question Katherine gave me this answer.

Mg:Ca
    D:A (heavy fish liver and fish liver oil consuming populations have very high fracture and osteoporisis rates....and depression rates. true they tend to have little sun much of the year, but they also have very high circulating A levels in ratio to D levels....they will compete for the same receptor cites. in short: don't take CLO. optimize d levels asap and go from there with A)
    Zn:Cu (grain based diets likely supply to much Cu)
    Se:Hg might be another - though not due to inborn requirements - it appears that Se binds with Hg to keep it from buiding up in the brain. The seychelles child development study indicates more fish consumption is better for developing brains from the fetal period on - perhaps as long as the fish being eaten have higher Se than Hg levels. The study that showed harm was the Faroe Island study - they eat almost exclusively whale meat - which compared to just about anything else, has high high Hg levels in ratio to Se.

Off to a neuroscience conf at Emory or I'd write more.....

Best,
    katherine

I want to make myself clear. I'm not suggesting you leave the primal diet. Just the opposite. Continue with it... but you may have to fine tune it to meet your own needs.

What else is out there?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I find myself having to take calcium, magnesium, copper and potassium supplements. I suppose I could get that from food but I'm just too lazy to play around with animal innards and the like. Not that I wouldn't have a good time of it.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    D:A (heavy fish liver and fish liver oil consuming populations have very high fracture and osteoporisis rates....and depression rates. true they tend to have little sun much of the year, but they also have very high circulating A levels in ratio to D levels....they will compete for the same receptor cites. in short: don't take CLO. optimize d levels asap and go from there with A)

Off topic but in another thread (about acidic/alkaline diets) someone posted a link that claimed eskimos have osteporosis and their diets are high in fish at times and they would have very little (if any source of vitamin D) so I wonder if this is the cause of their osteoprosis.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    I've up my potassium with avocados. I've also up my Vitamin E along with a general vitamin and I also take an O3 capsule.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Haha same here stabby. I take coral calcium, magnesium, and zinc. I was even thinking about potassium but Im unsure of how much 99mg will help.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com