Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest blood panel numbers - yikes!! page

rmbrich is offline Junior Member

Latest blood panel numbers - yikes!!

Shop Now
    So I'm not one to freak out over a single blood panel test, as numbers can certainly fluctuate from day to day. But I had my quarterly blood screening at work today and my trigs (which were already "high") have more than doubled!!

I've been primal for almost a year now and feel great. I am 6'0" 175 lb. I move slowly and work out 2-3 times a week. Granted, I haven't been as good at doing those things over the winter, but now that spring has arrived I have worked out over the past couple weeks.

Check these numbers. Any ideas or thoughts on what I should do next?

Test October '12 April '13
    Total Cholesterol 213 221
    HDL-C 33 26
    LDL-C 150 126
    Triglycerides 153 341
    Fasting Glucose 87 94
    Systolic Pressure 120 118
    Diastolic Pressure 76 82

This test was at 8:00 AM and I fasted since dinner the night before (8:00 PM). Whats with the trigs?? The only thing I can think is my meal the night before: homemade crock-pot chili (ground beef), of which I ate copious amounts. Maybe since insulin in my blood is low, all those fatty acids are still floating around in my blood from the night before? I still think it looks high.

Maybe my LDL receptors are down regulated for some reason.

Any other thoughts or recommendations?
    Thanks,
    Rob

GKL
    GKL is offline Member
    What's your typical carb intake like? How about fructose? And, are you losing weight? And if so, how fast?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I don't know. That does seem pretty odd that trigs are so high. I would not think it is LDL receptor downregulation since your LDL is in a good range. Your HDL also seems reallllly low. What is your typical day of eating like? Are you still losing weight?

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    When your body burns body fat, your triglycerides go up. People who are losing weight or fasting (especially if their blood sugar is low) will present higher trigs than when they are regularly meeting their kcal requirements.

Even with that factored-in, your trigs ARE a bit high, but I see no reason for concern until you've had a non-fasted test or until another test has shown you are having problems related to trigs. One symptom doesn't an illness make.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

I am not losing weight (I don't think!). I have fluctuated between 175-178 for the past 9 months or so.

My carb intake is low. Example meals past few days:

Breakfast: none
    Lunch: Salad w/ roasted chicken and roasted veggies
    Dinner: Taco salad (lettuce, steak, cheese, sour cream, salsa, guac)

Breakfast: Smoothie (apple, banana, spinach, pear, greek yogurt)
    Lunch: Leftover taco salad
    Snack: Smoked oysters in olive oil
    Dinner: Almond-crust pizza (cheese, pepperoni, roasted red pepper)

Breakfast: none
    Lunch: Leftover pizza
    Dinner: Crock-pot chili (beef, tomatoes, spices)

My HDL has always been low. I know exercise is the best way to get this up, but I also want to avoid the "30 minutes of cardio every day" that my doctor recommends.

I forgot to add - I take a fish oil omega-3 supplement every night and have 1-2 glasses of wine or beer most nights.

How often do you have fruit smoothies? If you have a whole apple, banana, and pear plus Greek yogurt, that's a good amount of carbs (and fructose) first thing in the morning (studies suggest that it's better to partition carbs later in the day). Do you have any signs of liver problems?

Not every day on the smoothies. And it's not whole piece of each of those fruits. My wife makes them in the Vita-mix and we split them. So probably 1/2 pear, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup greek yogurt, handful spinach, coconut milk. Sometimes she makes green smoothies featuring mostly kale and spinach with 1/2 an apple for taste. On days I don't have a smoothie in the morning, i'll usually have nothing, or sometimes either an apple or a banana with a handful of assorted nuts.

No signs of liver problems.

Quote Originally Posted by rmbrich View Post
    Not every day on the smoothies. And it's not whole piece of each of those fruits. My wife makes them in the Vita-mix and we split them. So probably 1/2 pear, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup greek yogurt, handful spinach, coconut milk. Sometimes she makes green smoothies featuring mostly kale and spinach with 1/2 an apple for taste. On days I don't have a smoothie in the morning, i'll usually have nothing, or sometimes either an apple or a banana with a handful of assorted nuts.

No signs of liver problems.
    Sounds like the smoothies are not the culprit then. I am stumped.

Me too. I've been googling all morning and haven't found anything helpful either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast