Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I have diabetes... Help? page 2

momrn is offline Member
    Shop Now
    See someone today.

I volunteer in a free clinic. We sent a diabetic with a nonhealing ulcer straight to the ER yesterday. I am praying he doesn't lose his lower leg.

Go today. If you truly have an emergency, they will see you. If you cannot pay, they will work with you.

Go.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    You ever seen the movie "Saw"? That could take care of that foot problem.

In all seriousness it sounds like some sort of infection. Could be anything since we can't examine or order blood work from across the interwebs.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 04-11-2013 at 09:40 AM.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KT79 View Post
    unexplained weight-loss, vision and/or attention issues, short temper, really bad thirst.
    Don't forget acanthosis nigricans.
    That can shows up before it progresses to diabetes.

Dark velvety patches on your neck, groin, and pits

They aren't normal. Usually they mean you're insulin resistant.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ForgotMyOldUsername View Post
    Hi everyone. I apologize for starting two threads in one day, but as we speak I'm laying in bed and my feet feel like they are on fire. I've also had large blisters on both feet for about a month now which aren't open sores, but they still don't look totally healed. I'm really becoming concerned that I might have diabetes, which is a realization I haven't wanted to face for quite some time.

I notice the burning feeling becomes extremely acute when I cheat with large amounts of sugar. I was hoping if I could get pretty strict with primal, I could avoid seeing a CW doctor who would put me on all kinds of medication/insulin which may not really be healthy. But now I'm becoming very concerned and frightened. If anyone has any advice, I can't tell you how much I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for any typos - I'm doing this on an iPhone.
    You need to see a doctor, ASAP. If you have diabetes pronounced enough that you have peripheral neuropathy, you're playing with nasty stuff like amputation, blindness and even death. My step-children's grandmother died of complications from diabetes at a fairly young age. It's unnecessary. Refusing to go to the doctor is understandable- as long as you don't *know* you have diabetes you can remain in denial...but you do know there's a problem. Get your butt to the doctor. If it's type II, then perhaps as you modify your diet to Primal you will resolve it but for now if you have diabetes you need medical treatment.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Well you all scared the crap out of me sufficiently enough that I practically ran to my school's on-site doctor. They looked at the blisters and said it wasn't diabetes, but I insisted they test further, and a urine test came back negative.

So that's a relief. They also took blood to check for any weird inflammatory diseases, but mostly they think it's probably poor shoes/sensitive feet/possibly fungal.

otzi Guest
    Well you all scared the crap out of me sufficiently enough that I practically ran to my school's on-site doctor. They looked at the blisters and said it wasn't diabetes, but I insisted they test further, and a urine test came back negative.

So that's a relief. They also took blood to check for any weird inflammatory diseases, but mostly they think it's probably poor shoes/sensitive feet/possibly fungal.

Go to Walgreen's and buy the cheapest blood glucose monitor they ahev and as many test strips as you can afford. Then start testing your FBG and post-meal blood glucose for a while. That should set your mind at ease.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    ...mostly they think it's probably poor shoes/sensitive feet/possibly fungal.
    When I was in my 20s I developed a weird sensitivity to synthetic socks and shoe materials. I had burning, itchy spots on my feet. Went away as soon as I started wearing cloth or leather shoes with natural fiber socks.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    Good for you for going to the doc. Diabetes is something that should be tested for routinely anyway, since it's relatively a "silent disease" for a long time. I have an acquaintance that got a routine test recently - his blood sugar came back at 1200. Yes, 1200. They don't know why he was even conscious, let alone able to walk and talk.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Well it's good you went, because even if it isn't diabetes, any skin problem that's gone on for a month...it's time to go to a doctor.

Now I have some good news and some bad news:
    The bad news - they probably just did the urine test to shut you up, because while glucosuria is a classic marker of type 1 diabetes, it isn't always present in type 2 diabetes. A random or fasting blood sugar test, a1c test, or oral glucose tolerance test is a better indicator.
    The good news - if they said the sores didn't look like diabetes, there's a good chance they're right. Diabetes ulcers are usually pretty distinctive.

Food ulcerations and wound healing problems tend to be a marker of advanced diabetes, so it could very well be something else. Is there another reason you think you have diabetes?

I will also echo that, if you're concerned, there's no reason you can't monitor your own blood sugar if you're willing/able to purchase the monitor and supplies on your own.
    Last edited by s-piper; 04-11-2013 at 12:13 PM.

momrn is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    If you are a student, you should watch for health fairs. They're usually around a lot.

They can do a fingerstick and check your blood glucose. It would be best to be fasting, but at least know how long it's been since you've eaten.

Your blisters must really look like plain old blisters if they didn't even do a fingerstick. that's good

Keep your feet clean and dry and give them a little extra attention every day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast