Thread: Whats everyone do for a Primal 'Crust'? (A Job) page

destructalux is offline Senior Member

Whats everyone do for a Primal 'Crust'? (A Job)

Shop Now
    Well, working 6 in the morning till 6 at night isn't very primal. I mean where do you squeeze in your 1 hour afternoon nap, get a tan, have fun, grow fresh healthy food?

Has anyone adapated the primal life into their working life? Curious to know what jobs people have taken on to help not giving up there new way of living?

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by destructalux View Post
    Well, working 6 in the morning till 6 at night isn't very primal. I mean where do you squeeze in your 1 hour afternoon nap, get a tan, have fun, grow fresh healthy food?

Has anyone adapated the primal life into their working life? Curious to know what jobs people have taken on to help not giving up there new way of living?
    This is the question. Follow this way of life long enough and we all seem to end up thinking this way. The normal way of doing most things seems more and more incorrect and we look for alternatives. I wish there were a simple answer to this question, but its probably just something we each just have to think about a lot over some Bulletproof coffee until we come up with our own answers.

The short term solution is to optimize everything you can while you work on the larger things. Offset the damages of modern life wherever possible.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Markbt View Post
    The short term solution is to optimize everything you can while you work on the larger things. Offset the damages of modern life wherever possible.
    Yeap, that's where I'm at. Switching to natural products where I can, supporting companies with good roots when I can afford it, especially local ones. The job is tricky. I love technology, I work in tech support. The only way my job could become more primal is if I ran my own business and controlled my own schedule. I don't think it's likely that would happen in any sustainable front for me anytime soon. I would not be able to afford to live on that salary.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

aliphian is offline Senior Member
    My job is slowly killing the caveman in me. I sit bored until some stressful emergency comes up. Always working overtime. My wife and I have considered buying a food truck and traveling the country with a rooftop greenhouse. I just haven't got the courage together yet to go for it.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    I like my job, it pays enough to cover my bills, it doesn't require excessive hours (by U.S. standards anyway). This all keeps my stress levels relatively low and I think that's good enough.

Pheebie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Violette_R View Post
    I like my job, it pays enough to cover my bills, it doesn't require excessive hours (by U.S. standards anyway). This all keeps my stress levels relatively low and I think that's good enough.
    Well said.

In December 2010, I quit a super-stressful job that was negatively effecting my health. I job-searched for almost 5 months before landing my current job. I work long hours (4 9-hour days, 1/2 day on Fridays - woo hoo, no weekends). Some days get hectic & stressful - that's any job - but overall I no longer feel as if I'm on the verge of cardiac arrest as I did with my previous job. While 'money isn't everything,' I'm way less harried now than I was during the 5 months I wasn't working, despite being able to indugle in lots of sunshine, naps, and still a fairly primal diet.
    Not all office/desk jobs are the devil, and having time to live primally isn't necessarily a savior.
    It's all about finding your own balance, peace of mind, and what works for you.

Ilythia is offline Member
    I work in an office full time, Mon-Fri. I dream about a more primal life but I'm not sure how to achieve it.

It doesn't help that it's been freezing lately and only recently stopped snowing but I realised last week how infrequently I see daylight. It bothers me.

I get away from my computer when I can and although I take my lunch to work, I plan to eat it outside now that it's warming up.

A couple of times a week I start work really early and leave early an take the kids to the park or cycling.

A few times a year we go camping. I really enjoy the simplicity of camping and we all sleep so much better when we are camping.

So aside from food, we find it pretty hard to live primarily but I'm working on it!

magicmerl is online now Senior Member
    I work as a software developer (sitting at a desk all day). On the plus side, I leave my house at 8.30am, and walk in the door at 5.30pm.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

otzi Guest
    I work in a hospital as an electrical systems engineer. For years, I would plop down at my computer, eat snacks all day, a huge lunch, a couple sodas, and reason I was a lard-ass because of my job. We get three 'breaks' a day: 15 min at 9am, 60 min at noon, and 15 min at 3. Breaktime usually meant going to the mini-mart and getting a snack.

For the last 3 years, I take a 15 minute brisk walk outside during the morning and afternoon breaks, at lunch, I spend 30 minutes doing pushups, pullups and squats and 30 minutes sitting shirtless in the sun in a secluded spot. I have a great tan by May 1st every year and lost almost 100 pounds.

I doubt there is a job in existence where you couldn't get in a bunch of squats, pushups, and walking. Pullups require a bit more thought--I use a pipe in a mechanical room. We also have 7 flights of stairs I climb at every opportunity and I park as far away as possible.