Thread: Starting A New Primal Life page

kmblue is offline Junior Member

Starting A New Primal Life

Primal Fuel
    Hi.

This will not be the typical journal to start. I'm currently on partial bed rest after suffering a severe leg injury. I just started going Primal a week and a half ago and right now, my meals/food aren't purchased or prepared by me yet. I've given my caregiver (mom), directions on the kind of food I want (meats, veggies, some fruits, nuts, no wheat) but since my parents refuse to go Primal right now, I've decided that I'm going to probably end up 75/25 right now and when I'm back on my feet and in my own place again, I'm going to go 90/10.

Height: 5'8
    Weight: Last time weighed, 236. I have no idea right now except that my clothes haven't felt tighter or looser since I started bed rest
    Goal: 150
    I'm not diabetic or any other diseases. Before I got hurt, I was doing a lot of Chronic Cardio, working out every day of the week for 1-2 hours. I started doing that at 300 lbs and I got down to 230 and I've been bouncing between 230-240 for two years. I used to feel proud that even though I was in the 230s, I still wore size 12 jeans and size 12-14 for dresses. I'm interested in seeing what I'll be able to wear while primal.

I usually have horrible springtime allergies, like literally sneezing everywhere with red eyes, red nose, really itchy and watery eyes and allergy meds didn't work. I'd have to pop 2-3 Day quil pills in the morning with my coffee and take 2 doses of NyQuil to sleep.

This year, since cutting out as much wheat as possible, my allergies are dramatically less. My eyes are still itchy but not as bad but my nose isn't constantly running/sneezing, I can get by with just once a day Zyrtec. And my energy level has increased as I'm sleeping more in tune with nature's clock (waking earlier at 7 feeling rested, taking just one nap a day during the midday, going to bed at a more reasonable time of 11 pm instead of 2 am and sleeping in until 12 noon). And now, I'm doing rehab and I have the energy to complete the exercises given to me without a lot of muscle strain and pain. It's been barely 10 days and just from changing my diet, I'm healing faster (my injury takes 6-24 months to completely heal depending on health. My doctors think I may end up closer to 6 months now.)

Today's Meals;

BK: Apple with almond butter, yogurt w/ probiotics, oatmeal with blueberries
    L: Tuna made with mustard, celery, pepper, dill, and an orange
    Snack: A small, .5 oz piece of dark chocolate and a handful of almonds
    Dinner: 4 small baked spring rolls with shrimp and rice noodles inside; steamed broccoli and carrots
    Dessert: An orange

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Sorry about the accident but glad Primal is going well, even if only 75/25.

The last few days, we had high winds here. Before Primal I would have been wearing a face mask and walking around with a box of tissues under my arm, all numbed out from allergy meds. Now, only a bit of stuffiness. (I have followed Primal for about three years.)

Are you getting enough protein?
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Welcome! Sorry about the accident but glad Primal is going well, even if only 75/25.

The last few days, we had high winds here. Before Primal I would have been wearing a face mask and walking around with a box of tissues under my arm, all numbed out from allergy meds. Now, only a bit of stuffiness. (I have followed Primal for about three years.)

Are you getting enough protein?
    Today, I woke up with really itchy eyes, the worst it has been so far this season.

As for protein, it varies. Yesterday was rather low, Tuesday, I had ham and eggs at breakfast, free-range chicken at lunch, and then tilapia for dinner. Days I have rehab (wake and leave earlier), I don't have as much protein in my meals as I would like. The days I don't have rehab, I tend to have more protein. Right now, since I don't make my own meals, I'm really dependent on what my mom and dad want to cook. And since they aren't primal, it's challenging.

So today was not a good primal day. I indulged in a sandwich with lunch meats and bread and I had french fries and onion rings for dinner. Yesterday wasn't that much better even though I had ham for breakfast and a nice rib-eye steak for dinner. I don't even want to type out what I had, I just plan not to indulge in any of it again. I don't feel sick sick but I feel not optimal. And after the previous 2 weeks, I don't like this feeling at all.

One good thing: my PT says I'm looking thinner and that my movement is getting better in my left ankle. I attributed to eating Primally and keeping my body free of poisons (except for today.)