Thread: Pick the Least-Offensive Items on these Menus page

BoldAsLove is offline Member

Pick the Least-Offensive Items on these Menus

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I have three days of eating out in a row coming up (not sure of the third menu). Help me make some wise choices!

http://www.rosamexicano.com/file/12997/Dinner_DCweb.pdf

Estadio DC ~ Dinner

... note that I can't eat red meat (my body doesn't like it!). Thanks for input!

Kata is offline Senior Member
    Wow, this all sounds delicious! There are a lot more paleo-friendly dishes on this menu than any of my local Mexican places. Any of the ceviches would be good. I wonder what "skillet style" means. You could get any of the tacos and just eat the fillings. If you do dairy, you could get almost anything and then get a side salad instead of the rice or beans. If not, they could probably do it without the cheese if you ask.

Bifcus is offline Senior Member
    I have never seen such primal friendly menu's. You could order most things on the menu, assuming you aren't gluten intolerant. Just push the rice to one side. Wow.

Of course, if it were me I would be contacting the restaurants in advance to see if I could judge if they really know what gluten free means. If I wasn't convinced they knew what was in their spice mixes etc, I would just BYO. sigh.

Very Jealous.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    The Rosa Mexicano here in NYC (I think that's the DC menu you posted?) was awesome about special requests like grilled Serrano peppers on the side -the food was pretty darn yummy, too.

I think the skillet style taco is more of a fajita style - meat/veg in a skillet, tortillas in a basket. And I'm sure you could get veggies instead of rice/beans on almost any dish.

I'm guessing they use some sort of veggie oil for cooking, even though lard would be waaaaay more traditional... That's something you could call and ask ahead of time (I wouldn't trust getting the right answer during dinner rush).

BoldAsLove is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalMama View Post
    The Rosa Mexicano here in NYC (I think that's the DC menu you posted?) was awesome about special requests like grilled Serrano peppers on the side -the food was pretty darn yummy, too.

I think the skillet style taco is more of a fajita style - meat/veg in a skillet, tortillas in a basket. And I'm sure you could get veggies instead of rice/beans on almost any dish.

I'm guessing they use some sort of veggie oil for cooking, even though lard would be waaaaay more traditional... That's something you could call and ask ahead of time (I wouldn't trust getting the right answer during dinner rush).
    That is good to know. I was leaning towards that. My go-to at mexican places is fajitas, extra veggies instead of rice.

Estadio looks pretty easy - I think I'm going for the crispy brussels sprouts and the Pork Loin with sofrito.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    we've got one in boston now which is decent. the ceviches and guac are both good.

oh, and yeah, no, they do not cook with lard.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway