Thread: Raise starch, lower fat... raise exercise? page

Raise starch, lower fat... raise exercise?

Primal Fuel
    I've noticed I feel much better on slightly higher starch, slightly lower fat, so I'm thinking of adding a whole yam (aka what many people know as a sweet potato) into my daily diet and reducing some of the added fats.

My total carbs will top off around 70-80g every day, and my fat will move down to around 70g, as well.

With the added starchy carbs (assuming calories are held constant), will I need to increase my exercise in order to maintain the same weight? (I'm not trying to lose, just maintain/build muscle)

otzi Guest
    This is exactly what I have been trying to work out as well. I think it all comes down to insulin sensitivity. I read this recently, written a few years ago by Lyle McDonald (who isn't the most loved person around), but it seems to make sense:

Insulin Sensitivity and Fat Loss | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald

If you have good insulin sensitivity and low insulin secretion, odds are you will do well with a traditional bodybuilding type of diet which means high protein, highish carbs and low fat. Let’s say you’re consuming 1 g/lb of protein at 12 cal/lb. That’s 33% protein. If you go to 1.5 g/lb, that’s 50% protein. That leaves you with 50-67% of your calories to allocate between fat and carbohydrate. 15-20% dietary fat is about the lower limit as it becomes impossible to get sufficient essential fatty acids below that intake level. So, at 1 g/lb, your diet will be roughly 33% protein, 47-52% carbs (call it 45-50%) and 15-20% fat. If protein goes to 50% of the total, carbs should come down to 35% of the total with 15% fat.

If you’re not insulin sensitive and/or have high insulin secretion, a diet lower in carbs and higher in fat (don’t forget that protein can raise insulin as well) is a better choice. Assuming, again, 40% protein, a good starting place might be 40% protein, 20-30% carbs and 20-30% fat. A further shift to a near ketogenic (or cyclical ketogenic) diet may be necessary, 40% protein, 10-20% carbs and the remainder fat may be the most effective. If protein is set higher, up to 50% protein, carbs would be set at 10-20% with the remainder (20-30%) coming from dietary fat.
    See my other started thread today about Second-Meal Effect, it fits right into what you are asking.

Thanks otzi! interesting stuff.

With this new macro intake, I come out to about 50% fat, 25% protein, 25% carbs. I guess what I'm wondering is, since I replaced some of my usual broccoli/onions/peppers/tomatoes with a starch (a yam) with slightly higher carbs, will that have an affect on body comp?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ForgotMyOldUsername View Post
    Thanks otzi! interesting stuff.

With this new macro intake, I come out to about 50% fat, 25% protein, 25% carbs. I guess what I'm wondering is, since I replaced some of my usual broccoli/onions/peppers/tomatoes with a starch (a yam) with slightly higher carbs, will that have an affect on body comp?
    If it increases insulin sensitivity, it will have a positive effect. If you are insulin resistant, it will have a negative effect.

The way to tell is track your blood glucose following a meal of starch and your fasting blood glucose for a while. They sell meters at Walgreen's for $15 and test strips are about 50 cents each. Buy a meter and 25 test strips and you will learn a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    If it increases insulin sensitivity, it will have a positive effect. If you are insulin resistant, it will have a negative effect.

The way to tell is track your blood glucose following a meal of starch and your fasting blood glucose for a while. They sell meters at Walgreen's for $15 and test strips are about 50 cents each. Buy a meter and 25 test strips and you will learn a lot.
    Sounds like a good idea. I'll try it and post back with my results (although I can't promise how soon that'll be, haha)

Zach is offline Banned
    An entire yam?! Good god lady, ease up.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    FYI- meters and strips are cheaper at Walmart. Meters are around $9.00. You can get 100 strips for that meter for around $36 or 50 for around $19.

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    FYI- meters and strips are cheaper at Walmart. Meters are around $9.00. You can get 100 strips for that meter for around $36 or 50 for around $19.
    Thank you!!