Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second Meal Effect/Increased Insulin Sensitivity page 2

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm glad you understand the difference between physiological and pathological insulin resistance. What you said earlier "it leads to insulin resistance and other problems", led me to question this.

Did you ever think that maybe your stall was because you were overdoing the protein? Perhaps the spuds just displaced some excess steak you didn't need from your plate. Just a thought.

The key phrase in the quote from Mark is : Once you’re lean and weight stable, though, very low carb diets (less than 10% of calories from carbs) can reduce insulin sensitivity. This is normal and totally necessary in the context of a very low carb diet. If we didn’t become insulin resistant while eating very low carb, our brain wouldn’t be able to get the glucose it needed to keep us alive.

This is why the young dude bros around here do better with more spuds. I never said otherwise.

This is a normal body adaptation, not something causing irreparable damage. Physiological insulin resistance goes away with the first plate or two of tators.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    This sounds similar in premise somewhat to the split diets like Sommers.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This is a normal body adaptation, not something causing irreparable damage. Physiological insulin resistance goes away with the first plate or two of tators.
    I just get worried when I see my FBG hovering in the 110-120 range. Optimal FBG is said to be in the 85-95 range. I think for those of us who care about such things, finding out about the 'Second Meal Effect' and using that to our advantage could be wise.

I've been playing with my BG monitor for a couple weeks and find that the composition of my evening meal can cause a difference in FBG 12-18 hours later by 15-30 points. For instance, an evening meal with no starch but ample meat and LC veggies will cause an FBG of 110-120, but adding a potato to that meal, or eating a potato right before bed, will cause an FBG of 85-95.

Paleobird, I've read your posts and know what you eat. The difference between us is literally 1 or 2 potatoes a day. That's why I was very curious what your FBG was.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I just get worried when I see my FBG hovering in the 110-120 range. Optimal FBG is said to be in the 85-95 range. I think for those of us who care about such things, finding out about the 'Second Meal Effect' and using that to our advantage could be wise.

I've been playing with my BG monitor for a couple weeks and find that the composition of my evening meal can cause a difference in FBG 12-18 hours later by 15-30 points. For instance, an evening meal with no starch but ample meat and LC veggies will cause an FBG of 110-120, but adding a potato to that meal, or eating a potato right before bed, will cause an FBG of 85-95.

Paleobird, I've read your posts and know what you eat. The difference between us is literally 1 or 2 potatoes a day. That's why I was very curious what your FBG was.
    How ample is ample? The higher than you would like BG may be due to excess protein. Are you only "adding" a potato or are you substituting it for having a second slab of beef?

When I did track it, my BG was consistently around 90 and always less than 100.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 04-11-2013 at 05:47 PM.

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    The carb chapter in Perfect Health Diet mentioned something similar. Insulin sensitivity is a crucial signifier (whether or not its a determinant) and is much improved when going from 60%/300g carb to 20%/100g carb BUT we shouldn't assume that it's a linear function and that 5%/20g will be even better. They don't mention meal timing though. I kind of dread another layer of complication, especially when there seems to be a consensus that spreading carbs evenly reduces their hazards...

Paleofan is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to agree with the OP on this for me. VLC did a lot of good for me. Not much to lose, but that and weight training really changed my body type. Adding in 100 g. carbs a day at lunch now after 2 years seems to be working even better. Again, all body types are a bit different, so I respect that this works. After all, for me, 100 grams of carbs in the form of sweet potatoes, rice, fruit or veges is not the same as hohos and captain crunch.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
    The carb chapter in Perfect Health Diet mentioned something similar. Insulin sensitivity is a crucial signifier (whether or not its a determinant) and is much improved when going from 60%/300g carb to 20%/100g carb BUT we shouldn't assume that it's a linear function and that 5%/20g will be even better. They don't mention meal timing though. I kind of dread another layer of complication, especially when there seems to be a consensus that spreading carbs evenly reduces their hazards...
    Otzi loves layers of complication.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Otzi loves layers of complication.
    You'd be surprised! Actually, I love simplicity based on what works. Right now, for me, this means:

No breakfast, a starchy vegetarian lunch, a normal PB dinner. No snacks. Walk 30 minutes at lunch interspersed with numerous sets of bodyweight exercises. Walk another 30 minutes after dinner.

I hate layers. I hate counting calories and macros. I hate taking my temp and BG level. I hate going to doc for labs. I hate reading blogs and studies that turn out to be biased...but I've done them all ad nauseum to find what works.

One thing I love about MDA is the differing ends of the PB spectrum and people will to experiment and talk about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12