Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alternate fever reducers for paleo kids? page

paleoforlupus is offline Junior Member

Alternate fever reducers for paleo kids?

Primal Fuel
    We are a paleo family and my 1 year old has never had any processed sugar with one exception. About 2 months ago she had a really high fever due to teething and the pediatrician suggested giving her some children's tylenol. For whatever reason, I didn't even think to look at the ingredients (sleep deprivation I think), I just gave it to her to give her some relief. She ended up with the most terrible gas/gas pains for the next 3 days. This was far worse then the initial teething pain. I will never give it to her again.

So, now she and I are having, what I hope to be, the last cold/sickness of the season. She is now running a 104F fever and the nurse suggested tylenol again. She could not offer any alternatives to the sugar laden stuff except the artificial sweetener laden stuff.

Anyone have any suggestions for alternate fever reducers for kids?

greenari is offline Junior Member
    I know how much it sucks to watch your little one in pain. I don't have any knowledge of herbs or anything, I always ask myself, what would my grandmother have done before OTC meds were ever-present? Cool baths, washcloth to the forehead, let the little one hang out in just a diaper, sips of ice water, open a window or turn on the A/C even.

I wish both a speedy recovery!

PS My little one (now 3) has never had a fever that lasted more than a day, so you probably won't have to worry about this for long!

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Tough situation. I hate to say this, but if your child is that sensitive you might want to add a little bit of artificial sugar to her diet once all of this is over, so that she will have a chance to build up a resistance. It is a BAD thing to react that badly to medication - the paleo diet does not guarantee lifelong health after all, and even if she never get sick, you cannot guarantee she will never be injured. I'm not saying to give her diet coke or cake, but she can still eat very well even on a diet that have a tiny amount of processed sugar.

I can't give you any ideas on actual medication that will help with the fever - there are alternative medication of course, but I wouldn't play around with them when it comes to a fever in a one-year-old. However, here's something for teething especially: chamomile tea. Rose petal infusion supposedly works too, but it might be trickier to find at your local walmart Or you could try harmless herbs such as licorice, ginger or dandelion, commonly used for headaches. [/herb nerding]

I hope your kid gets better. I can imagine how much such a situation must suck. :<

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I went a-Googling.

How to Reduce a Fever without Medication: How to Reduce a Fever without Medication: 10 Steps
    Natural Home Fever Reducers: Natural Home Fever Reducer Remedies | LIVESTRONG.COM
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

paleoforlupus is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone. Light cotton clothing, open window (thank goodness it is finally spring!) and a lot of sleep and she's almost good as new. Fever was 104F yesterday and this morning 100F. She is back to her old self again.

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I remember once my daughter was burning up and I put her in a tub full of cool water. She stayed until it felt cold, and her temperature was almost normal at that point.

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    Have you thought of trying a suppository instead of the suspension? Over here (UK) GPs will prescribe suppositories for medicine refusers. They don't exactly advertise it, but they'll do it if asked directly. I believe it is routine in some other countries (eg France) to use suppositories instead of suspensions.

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    Fever isn't part of illness, but a refined recovery mechanism.
    Unless your child is dehydrated, the fever is serving a purpose. It is her body heating up to improve blood function and reduce pain; this will help her recover.

As long as she isn't dehydrating, don't suppress it. Feed her well (running a fever burns kcals!), keep her well-hydrated (maybe with extra minerals), keep her warm (her body needs to be hot to kill the illness; that's why she has a fever to begin with!) and let the fever do its job.
    Last edited by Kochin; 04-11-2013 at 08:18 AM.
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Kochin is offline Senior Member
    drmarksanders.com/fever.htm
    --
    Perfection is entirely individual. Any philosophy or pursuit that encourages individuality has merit in that it frees people. Any that encourages shackles only has merit in that it shows you how wrong and desperate the human mind can get in its pursuit of truth.

--
    I get blunter and more narcissistic by the day.
    I'd apologize, but...

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    I had febrile seizures as a child. I do not treat fever lightly. I will manage low grade fever non-medicinally, but once they hit 103, I medicate, usually with advil/ibuprofen. One of my kids spikes a high fever very quickly, and doesn't respond well to treatment. The other builds fever gradually, but responds well to meds and non-meds.

I am reluctant to over-medicate my children for anything -- and I cant remember the last time one of them saw a Dr. -- but I don't throw modern medicine out the window because I eat a clean, whole foods diet.

The OP will have no idea if the tylenol is what caused the gas/stomach pains until they try it again. I never gave my kids meds for teething, and they both would get upset tummies and nasty diapers when teething.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast