Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Bloodwork Since LCHF

Hybrid View

First Bloodwork Since LCHF

Hot off the press. Here are the results of my first blood work since going LCHF. I just listed the tests which changed a lot and/or are out of the reference range. For comparison, I am showing previous results from Nov 2011. I have been pretty hardcore LCHF for 6-8 months and weight has been steady during that period. I eat 90-95 grams of protein per day, 50 or less grams of carbs and the rest of my 2400 cals come from mostly mono and saturated fats such as pastured eggs, avocados, grass fed beef and bison, EVOO, 90% dark chocolate and LOTS of coconut and coconut oil.

Total Cholesterol 398 up from 242

HDL-C 130 up from 51

LDL-C 253 up from 163

Trigs 74 down from 140

Creatinine 1.34 up from .92

Alkaline Phosphatase 27 down from 52

My A1C is 5.1. I thought it would be a little lower but I did have a few nasty spikes during the last month, one of which exceeded 200.

My doc is freaking out. He wants to see me immediately to discuss these results and I know he is frustrated with me as I have been refusing his advice to take statins for almost 20 years.

Happy with the A1C but thought trigs would be lower and LDL-C is kind of scary. I know I have a great trig/HDL-C ratio but....Guess I better lay-off the coconut or at least scale it way back?

I would appreciate any and all comments. Thanks.

Do you drink French Pressed coffee?

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    No, but I wonder if the VLCHF diet is messin' with my thyroid? I am guessing dietary fat, especially coconut, is driving up my LDL-C.

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    No, but I wonder if the VLCHF diet is messin' with my thyroid? I am guessing dietary fat, especially coconut, is driving up my LDL-C.
    Yep, on both counts. I no longer go VLC, and am actively eating some safe starches for thyroid health, as well as supplementing with selenium and iodine.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Yep, on both counts. I no longer go VLC, and am actively eating some safe starches for thyroid health, as well as supplementing with selenium and iodine.
    Yes, I already supplement with iodine and selenium as recommended by Kresser and Masterjohn. I would like to eat more carbs, but it spikes my BG so much. I gave up eating fruit, oatmeal and sweet potatoes because I had to limit my portions so much, eg 1/4 apple or 50 grams sweet potato. I think I will work hard to replace some saturated fat with some good carbs and see if I can find a happy medium.

You have to admire a man who follows his own advice. Unless he's one who doesn't think for himself. I'd ask him if he's looked at any of the studies done on LC lately. Different people will certainly have different responses to his answer. But if he answers "no", I would look for a different doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Yes, I already supplement with iodine and selenium as recommended by Kresser and Masterjohn. I would like to eat more carbs, but it spikes my BG so much. I gave up eating fruit, oatmeal and sweet potatoes because I had to limit my portions so much, eg 1/4 apple or 50 grams sweet potato. I think I will work hard to replace some saturated fat with some good carbs and see if I can find a happy medium.
    Atbuc, for what it's worth: I was VLC for about six months, and when I first started eating pototoes and rice again I would crash if I ate even a bit too much. But gradually my response to them improved, and now I can eat big plates of both and just feel good afterwards.

I believe the crashing was due to impaired insulin sensitivity.

Do you actually have symptoms of hypothyroidism or are you just going by your LDL numbers?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

That, and there seems to be a subset of people that are hypersensitive to dairy in how greatly it affects LDL.

Have you been loosing a lot of weight?

Have you been moving frequently at a slow pace?

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    That, and there seems to be a subset of people that are hypersensitive to dairy in how greatly it affects LDL.

Have you been loosing a lot of weight?

Have you been moving frequently at a slow pace?
    Yes, I eat a lot of dairy. Weight has been rock steady for over 6 months. Lost about 20 pounds in the year prior. Yes, I lift weights, walk 2-4 miles every day up/down hills with my dog and do a lot of DIY stuff around the house. I am pretty fit and active for an old man (just turned 64). I am 5' 8" , 142 lbs. I drink Caribou decaf - no french press here.

How does french pressed coffee effect cholesterol?