Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29

Thread: First Bloodwork Since LCHF page

  1. #1
    Artbuc's Avatar
    Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    471

    First Bloodwork Since LCHF

    Shop Now
    Hot off the press. Here are the results of my first blood work since going LCHF. I just listed the tests which changed a lot and/or are out of the reference range. For comparison, I am showing previous results from Nov 2011. I have been pretty hardcore LCHF for 6-8 months and weight has been steady during that period. I eat 90-95 grams of protein per day, 50 or less grams of carbs and the rest of my 2400 cals come from mostly mono and saturated fats such as pastured eggs, avocados, grass fed beef and bison, EVOO, 90% dark chocolate and LOTS of coconut and coconut oil.

    Total Cholesterol 398 up from 242

    HDL-C 130 up from 51

    LDL-C 253 up from 163

    Trigs 74 down from 140

    Creatinine 1.34 up from .92

    Alkaline Phosphatase 27 down from 52

    My A1C is 5.1. I thought it would be a little lower but I did have a few nasty spikes during the last month, one of which exceeded 200.

    My doc is freaking out. He wants to see me immediately to discuss these results and I know he is frustrated with me as I have been refusing his advice to take statins for almost 20 years.

    Happy with the A1C but thought trigs would be lower and LDL-C is kind of scary. I know I have a great trig/HDL-C ratio but....Guess I better lay-off the coconut or at least scale it way back?

    I would appreciate any and all comments. Thanks.

  2. #2
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    6,414
    Do you drink French Pressed coffee?

  3. #3
    Artbuc's Avatar
    Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Do you drink French Pressed coffee?
    No, but I wonder if the VLCHF diet is messin' with my thyroid? I am guessing dietary fat, especially coconut, is driving up my LDL-C.

  4. #4
    Neckhammer's Avatar
    Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,145
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Do you drink French Pressed coffee?
    That, and there seems to be a subset of people that are hypersensitive to dairy in how greatly it affects LDL.

    Have you been loosing a lot of weight?

    Have you been moving frequently at a slow pace?

  5. #5
    Artbuc's Avatar
    Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    That, and there seems to be a subset of people that are hypersensitive to dairy in how greatly it affects LDL.

    Have you been loosing a lot of weight?

    Have you been moving frequently at a slow pace?
    Yes, I eat a lot of dairy. Weight has been rock steady for over 6 months. Lost about 20 pounds in the year prior. Yes, I lift weights, walk 2-4 miles every day up/down hills with my dog and do a lot of DIY stuff around the house. I am pretty fit and active for an old man (just turned 64). I am 5' 8" , 142 lbs. I drink Caribou decaf - no french press here.

  6. #6
    Twibble's Avatar
    Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    2,405
    Your LDL is not broken down into fluffy and dense. Your trigs and HDL seem to be about right for LCHF. Which number is he ticked about?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

    If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

    Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

  7. #7
    Artbuc's Avatar
    Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    471
    Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    Your LDL is not broken down into fluffy and dense. Your trigs and HDL seem to be about right for LCHF. Which number is he ticked about?
    He is and has always been singularly focused on LDL-C. In his opinion it can never be too low. He has an interesting history. Did his residency at Bryn Mawr cardiology unit. When I first started going to him about 20 years ago, he was a very fit cyclist (still is) with no family history of heart disease and low LDL-C. HOWEVER, he still took Lipitor to get his LDL-C even lower. One day about 7-8 years ago, he had an almost fatal heart attack while cycling. He told me he would have died had he not been a doctor knowing what to do. He continues to take statins and has not had any more cardiac events. On one hand, because of his training and personal history, I would like to think he knows more about lipids and CVD/CHD risk factors than most. On the other hand, he is a one-trick pony when it comes to statins.

  8. #8
    eKatherine's Avatar
    eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    4,867
    I would avoid a doctor who was doing to himself what he is doing.

  9. #9
    magicmerl's Avatar
    magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,904
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    No, but I wonder if the VLCHF diet is messin' with my thyroid? I am guessing dietary fat, especially coconut, is driving up my LDL-C.
    Yep, on both counts. I no longer go VLC, and am actively eating some safe starches for thyroid health, as well as supplementing with selenium and iodine.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

    Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

  10. #10
    Twibble's Avatar
    Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Midland, Texas
    Posts
    2,405
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    He is and has always been singularly focused on LDL-C. In his opinion it can never be too low. He has an interesting history. Did his residency at Bryn Mawr cardiology unit. When I first started going to him about 20 years ago, he was a very fit cyclist (still is) with no family history of heart disease and low LDL-C. HOWEVER, he still took Lipitor to get his LDL-C even lower. One day about 7-8 years ago, he had an almost fatal heart attack while cycling. He told me he would have died had he not been a doctor knowing what to do. He continues to take statins and has not had any more cardiac events. On one hand, because of his training and personal history, I would like to think he knows more about lipids and CVD/CHD risk factors than most. On the other hand, he is a one-trick pony when it comes to statins.
    It seems to me that you're doing the equivalent of trusting a mechanic who had the engine on his car fall out while driving and still doesn't realize that he should attach it differently.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

    If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

    Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •