Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Bloodwork Since LCHF page 2

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Yep, on both counts. I no longer go VLC, and am actively eating some safe starches for thyroid health, as well as supplementing with selenium and iodine.
    Yes, I already supplement with iodine and selenium as recommended by Kresser and Masterjohn. I would like to eat more carbs, but it spikes my BG so much. I gave up eating fruit, oatmeal and sweet potatoes because I had to limit my portions so much, eg 1/4 apple or 50 grams sweet potato. I think I will work hard to replace some saturated fat with some good carbs and see if I can find a happy medium.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    You have to admire a man who follows his own advice. Unless he's one who doesn't think for himself. I'd ask him if he's looked at any of the studies done on LC lately. Different people will certainly have different responses to his answer. But if he answers "no", I would look for a different doctor.

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Are these basically common results from LCHF?

It seems like a lot of people report HDL up, Trig down (good). Improved ratios. LDL up (but it depends on something about dense particles or whatever, can someone explain this please?). And then total chol -- who cares.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Yes, I already supplement with iodine and selenium as recommended by Kresser and Masterjohn. I would like to eat more carbs, but it spikes my BG so much. I gave up eating fruit, oatmeal and sweet potatoes because I had to limit my portions so much, eg 1/4 apple or 50 grams sweet potato. I think I will work hard to replace some saturated fat with some good carbs and see if I can find a happy medium.
    Atbuc, for what it's worth: I was VLC for about six months, and when I first started eating pototoes and rice again I would crash if I ate even a bit too much. But gradually my response to them improved, and now I can eat big plates of both and just feel good afterwards.

I believe the crashing was due to impaired insulin sensitivity.

Do you actually have symptoms of hypothyroidism or are you just going by your LDL numbers?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    Do you actually have symptoms of hypothyroidism or are you just going by your LDL numbers?
    No obvious symptoms....just speculating about a possible explanation for the dramatic increase in LDL-C.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    No obvious symptoms....just speculating about a possible explanation for the dramatic increase in LDL-C.
    Isn't this an estimated quantity using a certain formula ? I would read Peter Attia's series of articles on cholesterol (9 articles IIRC). Look them up on eatingacademy.com

It is not so much the cholesterol content that matters but the number of these lipoprotein particles. These particles carry more than cholesterol by the way and it is not the cholesterol per se that is problematic (after all, cholesterol is vital and sent where damages must be fixed).

Quote Originally Posted by dkJames View Post
    Isn't this an estimated quantity using a certain formula ? I would read Peter Attia's series of articles on cholesterol (9 articles IIRC). Look them up on eatingacademy.com

It is not so much the cholesterol content that matters but the number of these lipoprotein particles. These particles carry more than cholesterol by the way and it is not the cholesterol per se that is problematic (after all, cholesterol is vital and sent where damages must be fixed).
    Yes, it is a calculation. My LDL-C would be around 217 using the Iranian formula. I have read Attia's series and he has subsequently backed away from his strong statements re LDL-P. Attia has promised future articles to discuss the use of statins and new thinking re CVD/CHD risk factors.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    Well you don't mention how old you are or whether you have any history of heart problems. On the former I won't guess, but with the latter I'll assume not.
    To me that doesn't seem too bad. I'm actually envious because although my LDL went down my trigs went up and HDL went slightly down.
    Your doctor sounds like he has a little bit of tunnel vision if he's really freaking out about that. By CW standards it's somewhat concerning, but not warranting a panic. Your HDL is up and your trigs are down. You're making progress, it doesn't seem unreasonable to wait at least another 6 months to see what the LDL does.

Also, like your doctor, my dad had a heart attack even-though he'd never had cholesterol levels outside normal range.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    it depends on something about dense particles or whatever, can someone explain this please
    I can give it a whack for you. Basically, LDL-C is a measurement (calculation actually, but ignore that for now) of the amount of cholesterol in LDL Particles.

So, to use a Peter Attia analogy, it's like your bloodstream is a river, LDL-C is the amount of cargo on the ships (apolipoproteins) and LDL-P is the number of ships.

So you could have a large LDL-C with a small LDL-P (few ships, lots of cargo) or a small LDL-C with a large LDL-P (lots of ships with very little cargo). We know the former tends to be more dangerous than the latter (it's the ships that run into the artery walls), although we don't exactly know why.

So LDL-C, the total amount of cargo on the river, isn't particularly informative.

All that said, with the OP's HDL being so high, CVD risk is quite low from the information I've seen.

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Do you drink French Pressed coffee?
    How does french pressed coffee effect cholesterol?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast