Thread: Iodine Supplementation Fixing Insomnia + Other Issues but Weight Gain? page

sylvanarrow is offline Junior Member

Iodine Supplementation Fixing Insomnia + Other Issues but Weight Gain?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I've skimmed through some of the iodine threads here, but didn't quite find what I was looking for. If you have time to chime in here, I'd appreciate it.

I've been paleo for about a year and gluten/dairy-free for almost 10 years. I started having trouble with insomnia a couple of years ago, not being able to fall asleep, then waking with a start, heart-racing shortly after I did. Had some panic attacks and even ended up in the ER a couple of times, thinking I was dying. Blood pressure starting going up too. Docs, of course, never found anything wrong. I never got sick otherwise (not since booting out gluten/dairy) and looked/tested healthy in all regards. Always felt fine during the day, but nights were the worst.

Anyway, I cut out all caffeine and tried to get really strict with my diet (so hard to get rid of those sweeteners completely, heh) and started taking a "methyl guard" supplement (tested positive for one instance of the MTHFR polymorphism, which effects the body's abilities to clear toxins). That helped a bit, but things didn't really start getting better until I decided to try some kelp supplements (I'd been doing sea salt for years at home and was never a big fish/seaweed eater so figured my only source of iodine was from eating out now and then and getting table salt that way). The results have been amazing -- almost instantly, my sleep started improving, and now I'm falling asleep at a normal time, almost as soon as I turn out the lights, and am not having any of the panic attack symptoms. A few menstration issues have gotten much better, too, and I feel good overall.

Buuut, in the six weeks or so that I've been supplementing with the kelp, I've gained weight. A good five pounds so far. Nothing else has changed, though, in response, I've cut out all honey/sweeteners in the last three weeks or so (previously it's been easy for me to shed the extra pounds just by cutting out sweets but it hasn't helped this time, and the clothes are just getting tighter!). I exercise regularly weights, yoga, and running (more sprints than long-distance cardio any more) and have not changed that of late. Low stress lifestyle overall (work from home, no kids, etc.)

From my poking around, thyroid issues (apparently Hasimotos doesn't do well with iodine?) seem like the most likely possibility, but I had them tested a couple of years ago and the numbers were fine. I'm going to get all my hormones and everything checked out again soon, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what might be going on. I'm loathe to stop the iodine supplementation since everything else is so much better, but the weight gain is alarming. Is it possible this is some kind of detox reaction that will pass? I take the Dr Ron's multivitamin, Magnesium Calm (the one with D, potassium, C, etc.) and have started taking some extra C and a couple of brazil nuts a day in case it's selenium. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks!

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I think you're right about Hashi's not playing well with Iodine- I have Hashi's and have strict instructions from my doctor not to supplement with iodine. I haven't been told to avoid natural forms of iodine such as seaweed though, and adore a good Seaweed salad at my local Japanese restaurant and never have issues with it.

That does seem odd that so many other things improved but now you're gaining weight.

Have you had bloodwork?
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

dilberryhoundog is offline Senior Member
    Its kind of a simplistic view. But you may have just increased the efficiency of your metabolism, It mightn't take as much energy now to fuel your basal metabolic rate (or other factors), So you might have more calories to spare (gets stored as adipose tissue) considering you haven't changed anything. I remember reading about this a few weeks back when doing my own research on iodine. I'm not sure if it was scientific fact or someones observation from a forum. take it as you like.
    A little primal gem - My Success Story
    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

imwoman is offline Junior Member
    just a guess here, but from what i understand about beginning iodine supp, one may experience symptoms of hypothyroidism at the beginning, but that's hormones balancing out. i started supping with iodine, selenium, lipo c, and more mag about 2 months ago and have gained weight, too, but then, i wanted to. i have been underweight (5'5", 97 lbs) for some time, so getting to 104 these days is wonderful news for me. anyway, may or may not be temporary for you, and i hope for both of us it is simply a matter of the body adjusting and metabolizing more efficiently.