If you're like me, then you suffer from moderate to severe seasonal allergies that cause itchy, red eyes, sinus congestion, a runny nose similar to turning on a faucet, and the constant feeling that you have to sneeze. As soon as the first few warm days of spring hit, you know you are in for a rollercoaster ride of anti-histamines, tissue, and sneezing.

If you're like me then you also are completely sick and tired of having to rely on chemical medicine to be able to go to work, enjoy the weather, or breathe through your nose. You have heard all of the "natural" treatments, tried some, and eventually always end up coming back to the pharmacy to pick up your drugs. This post is an attempt to gather information about curing allergies so that you will know longer need to rely on chemical drugs to live your life during the spring-fall months.

It is now April 10th and the beginning of what looks to be one of the worst allergy seasons in years. I also happen to live in one of the worst states for allergy sufferers, Tennessee. As a new resident, my last summer was my first in the south- and my allergies were definitely the worst they have ever been. I've been taking some sort of anti-histamine for probably around 10-15 years now, at least during the spring-fall months, but last year I had to take it everyday. I've done them all- started with Claritin, which quit working, moved on to Zyrtec, which quit working, and now I'm on Allegra, which is still working (yay?). I have become much more aware of the terrible side effects of anti-histamines within the last year (for whatever reason), and I am determined to rid myself of any chemical anti-histamine for the rest of my life.

Here's where I am this year:
I stopped taking Allegra about 1-2 weeks ago. I was taking no supplements at the time, however I have been eating local honey (about 1-2 tablespoons) everyday for months now. I was doing perfectly fine until yesterday (the first day I noticed pollen on my car). Then began the sneezy feeling and the runny nose. I have decided to begin taking 1000mg of quercetin and around 900mg of Stinging Nettle Leaf a day, use a Neti Pot 2-3 times a day, and consume two tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar in water upon waking daily. Having recently adopted a 80-100% fully primal lifestyle, I have obviously changed my diet as well.

This afternoon, I broke down at work and had to run out to buy some Allegra. I couldn't work, could barely even hold a conversation my symptoms were so bad. 30 minutes later, the Allegra kicked in and I felt about 100 times better.

My theory is this:
If I continue taking the Allegra throughout the first few weeks of allergy season when the pollen counts are highest (although they are usually always high in this region) as well as continue all of the natural "treatments" and supplements, I will eventually be able to quit taking Allegra and rely entirely on natural means. Having just started the primal lifestyle only a couple months ago, I feel that I am still in the early stages of my body healing itself and thus it may still need some help from chemical medicine to allow for healing. Does that make any sense at all?

What I would love to figure out is why people have such terrible allergies to something as natural as tree pollen?
How do we get our bodies to react normally to such natural stimuli again?
Did our ancestors suffer from seasonal allergies? If not, was it the advent of agriculture that spawned them?
If I am otherwise completely healthy, should I be concerned at all with taking the Allegra, Quercetin, Nettle, and ACV all at the same time? Is there anything I can do to make this process easier on my body?

I would love to hear from others out there who have a similar experience to mine. What worked for you? What are you trying now and how is that helping? And would also love some answers from anyone educated on the subject more than I.

According to WebMD, over 55% of the U.S. Population tests positive for allergens to one or more substances. That is insane. What went wrong and how do we change that?

-Anthony