Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greens (Powder) page

Danny66 is offline Junior Member

Greens (Powder)

Shop Now
    I, for some reason, don't care for 95% of the most important green veggies that are good for you; (Brocholi, Brussel Sprouts, etc.) I do like the milder variety of Spinach, but other than that, green beans are my go-to green veggie, but I realize they don't have too much real punch to them, in terms of nutritional value.

My question is...are the powdered greens an acceptable substitute for someone like me? If so, what are a few brands that are high quality?

Thanks,
    Danny
    Last edited by Danny66; 04-10-2013 at 08:50 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Why do you feel the need for greens at all?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread76160.html

Perhaps you are a carnivore at heart.

Danny66 is offline Junior Member
    Green veggies are the most important, and I know I don't get enough of them, so the powdered greens seem like they'd be a good thing to take, assuming they work as prescribed?

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure what you can do with them. I doubt you can hide them in anything in sufficient quantity to fool yourself. And as far as "working" goes, aren't they intended to turn spaghetti green or something?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny66 View Post
    Green veggies are the most important, and I know I don't get enough of them, so the powdered greens seem like they'd be a good thing to take, assuming they work as prescribed?
    Says who? Do we really need to eat a lot of veggies or are we just listening to that maternal voice in our heads saying, "Eat your vegetables, they're good for you." There is no nutrient in veggies that is not more readily and abundantly available in meat.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    He mentioned nothing of meat. We're not carnivores, you simply cannot optimally function for long periods of time eating nothing but meat, sorry.

Green powder though is nothing but a concentrated shot of PUFA, and vegetables are disgusting bug food, so if you don't like them, you can find all nutrients more bioavailable(not attached to fiber) eating a balanced diet of fruit, dairy, and some meat.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    He mentioned nothing of meat. We're not carnivores, you simply cannot optimally function for long periods of time eating nothing but meat, sorry.

Green powder though is nothing but a concentrated shot of PUFA, and vegetables are disgusting bug food, so if you don't like them, you can find all nutrients more bioavailable(not attached to fiber) eating a balanced diet of fruit, dairy, and some meat.
    If you will bother to read my thread on carnivorousness, you will see that I am not eating "nothing but meat". I am rather eating an animal products centered diet including lots of dairy and occasional berries even.

I was just trying to point out that eating a bunch of greens (powdered or not) is not really necessary.

Total agreement about the concentrated PUFA shot, however. And the bio-availablity argument is one of the main reasons for a mainly carnivorous diet.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    polyunsaturated fatty acids - how do you get these out of leafy greens? This is the second time I have read this and don't get it. There is no fat in greens...is there?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snoops View Post
    polyunsaturated fatty acids - how do you get these out of leafy greens? This is the second time I have read this and don't get it. There is no fat in greens...is there?
    You're right but, depending on the brand, many "green" powders also have a lot of seeds and therefor seed oils in them.

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Oh OK. The previous comment I had heard was about green juices - I juice myself - no seeds or oils. Am I OK in assuming no PUFA's Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast