Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me with symptoms realted to new primal diet page

polos26 is offline Senior Member

Help me with symptoms realted to new primal diet

Shop Now
    So my cousin finally took the plunge and is on her 21 day challenge. She started last week. She called this morning complaining of leaky gut symptoms... She said last night she went to sleep bloated to the point of looking like she is in her last trimester (she's not pregnant at all) and with a stomach ache. I had her send me what her food intake was the last 2 days:
    Monday:
    Organic Biscotti (cacao/fruit/nut)
    Organic tomato basil Flaxseed crackers
    chicken/bacon/cheddar/ranch dressing
    salad with tomato and cabbage/balsamic vinegrette
    greek salad
    cesar salad
    mushrooms
    cream of mushroom soup
    potato leek soup
    water/green tea
    Day 2:
    organic biscotti and organic flaxseed crackers again
    pork/ham/swiss/pickle/spicy mustard
    cream of broccoli soup
    chicken and green salad with carrot and cucumber/basil/dill/lemon/red vinegar/olive oil
    water/green tea.

Now, my question is, are her symptoms related to detox? or is something here that I am not seeing that may be causing it? I know that there is flour in the soups that she is eating and im not even gonna talk about the ranch dressing however, being that she is transitioning now from heavy pasta/pizza eater I doubt that a bit of flour may be the culprit.

any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Loving my primal life

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Was the bloating sudden? Did she experience this at any other point since she started the challenge? How did her food for the last 2 days vary from her food since the start of the challenge?

When did the discomfort start in relation to her meals for the day?

I would suggest cutting out the biscotti and crackers, to start. If that's breakfast, she may want to sub it for some eggs or an omelette. If she's not hungry for breakfast, she need not eat at all.

It's difficult to troubleshoot without her being 100% compliant. It could still be the flour or something else in the soups.

What are her goals with the 21-day challenge? Any symptoms she's trying to alleviate? Just fat loss?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Too much fiber is my guess. Get her off the flaxseed crackers too. Who wants all that rancid ALA?

She said the discomfort started right after she ate lunch, which was cream of brocolli and cuban sandwich, sans the bread. I know that not being 100% compliant could be an issue, however considering that she is just starting I am trying to educate her as she goes rather than beat her up for not knowing that there was flour in the soup! I am not sure if that should be common knowledge, but I am 35 years old and I just figured that out last year.
    Loving my primal life

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Too much fiber is my guess. Get her off the flaxseed crackers too. Who wants all that rancid ALA?
    Yeah that was my first guess the crackers.

I am not sure in which direction to steer her sometimes b/c she does not cook at all! This has to be the hardest lifestyle for someone who is not familiar with pots and pans.
    Loving my primal life

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Wondering is she cut out nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes), processed (I'm assuming canned soups here), biscotti, and crackers, pickles, dressings, etc. and just went on meat, fowl, fish, coconut oil, grassfed butter, and lots of vegetables, if she'd feel better. Even cabbage causes some people to bloat. Like a simple steak sauteed in butter or ghee or coconut oil, with lots of sauteed mushrooms, and steamed greens -- lots of greens. Maybe all cooked vegetables until swelling goes down. Water and green tea is super, and she's drinking that, so that's great. Just simple stuff. Seems like a lot of swelling, but there does seem to be a lot of processed in her food list. Chewing extra helps too. Best of luck to her.

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    Ah, just read she doesn't cook. She needs a wok for a present She could do everything in that. Just gently sautee everything. Wouldn't be toooooo hard. Only one item -- a nice stainless steel wok. Throw in butter/ghee/coconut oil and whatever she wanted to eat. Add salt, spices, serve, quickly wash wok, and eat.

oh really? i dont own a wok, but i know she does! I didn't realize that they were and 'easy' cooking item. but let me just say that i told her to get a crock pot and just throw stuff in there "everything turns out great" I said. NO. For some reason it didn't for her. I dont know what on earth she did, but she called me furious to tell me that the crock pot meals she made were disgusting and had to be thrown away. LOL
    Loving my primal life

dacec is offline Senior Member
    If she is not used to some much raw veg (salads) that can also be a contributing factor...maybe have her slow down on the raw and start with cooked.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    She's eating a lot of industrial garbage. I'd be bloated if I ate that, too. Make sure she knows she's not even remotely doing Primal Blueprint.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast