Thread: Fifth Third River Bank Run - 5K Tomorrow - What's for Breakfast? page

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

Fifth Third River Bank Run - 5K Tomorrow - What's for Breakfast?

Primal Fuel
    I am competing in the 5K 53rd River Bank Run tomorrow.

What do you think would be the best breakfast?

I am thinking of making an avocado based smoothie...

*1 Avocado
    *3 T hemp seeds
    *1/2 scoop whey
    *1/2 banana
    *1/4 C blueberries

This is a lot of fat, about 25 g protein, and a fair amount of carbs. What do you guys think?

Last year I had a lot of pasta the night before the race and then I believe oatmeal in the morning. Since I am primal it will be VERY different
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Suki is offline Senior Member
    I don't see any need to change your normal breakfast for a 5K unless you don't often run 5K.

How many carbs do you eat on a normal day?

Nasno is offline Senior Member
    I usually do 3.5 miles in the morning with just a cup of coffee in me.
    I ran my first 5k last weekend, and did a whey protein/banana/frozen pineapple smoothie two hours before.
    Can't say that I noticed a difference between running on a tank of fuel or not.

If that is as carbed as you get, you'll probably burn it off during the race.

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    The best breakfast before a race, in my opinion, is no breakfast at all. When I ran my 10k, I skipped dinner and breakfast. I felt light as a feather and had energy to spare, which makes sense to me because digestion itself is metabolic drag. However, this probably works only to the extent that you've trained your body to burn fat instead of carbs.

Thanks for the input guys.

I average about 150 g of carbs a day - possibly a little less. I am on the verge of gaining weight. I weighed 130 about 2 weeks ago and I want to get to 150 by the end of the year.

I figured that sticking to what I normally eat would be ideal. I enjoy smoothies too so I may go with what I suggested. If I am hungry for an omelet and bacon then I will dive into that! We will see where my taste buds are when I wake up.

As far as me not eating anything... that is probably not a good idea for me. I have an absurd metabolism and must have fuel before a race. I will try your advice sometime Timothy - but not before a 5K race. It will be before a workout at home! Lol.

Almost forgot to mention -- good luck on the race, Dosenberry! I hope you have a wonderful time and let us know how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
    Almost forgot to mention -- good luck on the race, Dosenberry! I hope you have a wonderful time and let us know how it went.
    Thanks Timothy!

It went great. The weather was not the best - 40 degrees with a 30 degree wind chill, and sprinkles. As far as time goes, it was my worst 5K race ever. It was the ninth one I have run in. I did 5 last year and 4 this year. I came in at 26:39 but it was almost on purpose. My main goal was to simply have fun. I did exactly that. I have a goal of breaking 20 minutes by the end of the year but I new I was not going to do that in the cold unless I wanted to almost kill myself.

So, I decided to run with my sister for the first 5 minutes and thoroughly enjoyed it. I then took off and weaved through hundreds of people for the next 5 minutes and then settled down at a steady pace. I was able to finish strong and sprint to the finish.

In the past I have been usually soar the next day. Not this time. I was able to lift heavy things the day after the race for the first time and I felt great.

Oh, and as we took off there were 2 dudes barefoot! Not even VFF... completely barefoot. I cheered them on and it was simply awesome. There should be great weather for my next race so I will go hard and shoot for around a 22-23 minute final. I am certain I will break 20 minutes this year. My record is 21:04.

Congrats, Dosenberry, sounds like you had a great time! Awesome that you paced with your sister for a bit. You make a very good point with your indifference to the time. Every race is not judged by how close you come to your PR. When the elements all line up just right, you're bound to break 20 minutes with ease.

Thanks for sharing your report!

slowpokejudd is offline Junior Member
    A barefoot running forum is how I discovered this website.
    It had an ad for mark's book and i ordered it, and here I am.

I ran barefoot before discovering pb. I think this race set a record for number of barefoot runners.? I think its the same race.

Jason Robillard has a barefoot running site. He's from michigan, Grand Rapids I think. I've run a couple of 5k barefoot in north dakota. you get a lot of looks.

Quote Originally Posted by slowpokejudd View Post
    A barefoot running forum is how I discovered this website.
    It had an ad for mark's book and i ordered it, and here I am.

I ran barefoot before discovering pb. I think this race set a record for number of barefoot runners.? I think its the same race.

Jason Robillard has a barefoot running site. He's from michigan, Grand Rapids I think. I've run a couple of 5k barefoot in north dakota. you get a lot of looks.
    I saw an article in the paper about a barefoot run at Kenowa Hills. Their goal was to set the world record for the most barefoot runners in a race. I wanted to sign up but it was too late. I am not sure if they broke the record. The fifth third river bank run that I ran in was not the barefoot race by any means.

The run I did is the biggest 25K run in the world. They also have a 5K, 10K. Total participants exceeded 22,000 with more than 6,000 competing in the 25K and more than 5,000 competing in the 5K.

Its HUGE. Even last year they had the most participants at only 18,000. So the growth was 4,000 in one year with not so great weather - wind chills in the 30s, rain.... crazy. I love the race.