Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: Lifting Routine for 3 Days? page 2

  1. #11
    Chorlton's Avatar
    Chorlton is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    105
    Primal Fuel
    I fear my shoulders are not nearly stable enough for ring dips. I have a set of rings and a pullup bar but that sounds like a quick way to get injured for me personally..

    Thanks for the link to the rack. Im in the UK though, and can't afford one anyway..

  2. #12
    skorpion317's Avatar
    skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    What's the effect on your shoulder if one of your hands moves away from your body a little too much?
    I'm assuming you'd lose stability and end up hanging on to the rings. The whole point is to not let it get to that.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

  3. #13
    skorpion317's Avatar
    skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorlton View Post
    I fear my shoulders are not nearly stable enough for ring dips. I have a set of rings and a pullup bar but that sounds like a quick way to get injured for me personally..

    Thanks for the link to the rack. Im in the UK though, and can't afford one anyway..
    I have a weight bench at home which has an adjustable back. I move it upright and out of the way, and then I can get underneath the bar to do squats. Not sure if you have a similar setup or not.

    You could do bodyweight squats, and maybe get a weighted vest to make it harder.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

  4. #14
    RichMahogany's Avatar
    RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    8,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Chorlton View Post
    I fear my shoulders are not nearly stable enough for ring dips. I have a set of rings and a pullup bar but that sounds like a quick way to get injured for me personally..
    It's a really good, quick way to do that for sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chorlton View Post
    Thanks for the link to the rack. Im in the UK though, and can't afford one anyway..
    Homemade Squat and Bench Press Stand — End of Three Fitness

    You do have buckets and lumber in the UK, no?

  5. #15
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,141
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion317 View Post
    I'm assuming you'd lose stability and end up hanging on to the rings. The whole point is to not let it get to that.
    Avoiding rotator cuff injury

    Read Rippetoe's response.

  6. #16
    adamm's Avatar
    adamm is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    323
    Ok, my advice for a 3 day split. Everything (except bodyweight exercises) should be reverse pyramid, 5, 8, 12, 15 (for example)

    Day 1: Chest and Back
    Pullups (however many sets to get to 20. If you can't do a pullup, do assisted pullups with a chair).
    Neutral Grip chins (see above)
    Bent over DB Row (I like this better than bent over barbell row because it doesn't hammer the lower back)
    BB Bench
    DB Incline bench
    Pushups

    Day 2: Shoulders and Legs (if you rest less than 1 minute between sets, you can barely do this in under an hour)
    Squats (I know, if you can't, try hack squats and focus on quads)
    Deadlift (ascending pyramid here, not reverse. Final set should be around 4 reps)
    Push press or military press
    lat raises (yes, I know, bb exercise, but I'm a big fan of avoiding shoulder injuries)
    reverse flies (see above)
    Barbell Cuban Press (see above)
    L-Lat Raise (see above)
    Side DB Abduction (see above)
    DB External Rotation (see above)

    Day 3: The gunz. Because if you are a man, you want something there. Even as a primal man. Superset the bicep exercises with the tricep exercises
    Hammer Curls supersetted with Dips
    One arm db curls supersetted with Narrow Grip Bench Press
    Barbell Curls supersetted with Skull Crushers

    My advice on a three day split All three days take less than an hour, though the leg/shoulder day is tough to get done that fast. But the last four exercises are much lower weights and are for specifically exercising the rotator cuff et al.

    --Me

  7. #17
    Chorlton's Avatar
    Chorlton is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    It's a really good, quick way to do that for sure.



    Homemade Squat and Bench Press Stand — End of Three Fitness

    You do have buckets and lumber in the UK, no?
    That's awesome, thanks Rich!

  8. #18
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,141
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    Ok, my advice for a 3 day split. Everything (except bodyweight exercises) should be reverse pyramid, 5, 8, 12, 15 (for example)

    Day 1: Chest and Back
    Pullups (however many sets to get to 20. If you can't do a pullup, do assisted pullups with a chair).
    Neutral Grip chins (see above)
    Bent over DB Row (I like this better than bent over barbell row because it doesn't hammer the lower back)
    BB Bench
    DB Incline bench
    Pushups

    Day 2: Shoulders and Legs (if you rest less than 1 minute between sets, you can barely do this in under an hour)
    Squats (I know, if you can't, try hack squats and focus on quads)
    Deadlift (ascending pyramid here, not reverse. Final set should be around 4 reps)
    Push press or military press
    lat raises (yes, I know, bb exercise, but I'm a big fan of avoiding shoulder injuries)
    reverse flies (see above)
    Barbell Cuban Press (see above)
    L-Lat Raise (see above)
    Side DB Abduction (see above)
    DB External Rotation (see above)

    Day 3: The gunz. Because if you are a man, you want something there. Even as a primal man. Superset the bicep exercises with the tricep exercises
    Hammer Curls supersetted with Dips
    One arm db curls supersetted with Narrow Grip Bench Press
    Barbell Curls supersetted with Skull Crushers

    My advice on a three day split All three days take less than an hour, though the leg/shoulder day is tough to get done that fast. But the last four exercises are much lower weights and are for specifically exercising the rotator cuff et al.

    --Me
    Seems like a bodybuilding routine to me, with a lot of isolation exercises. This isn't exactly a program for strength.

  9. #19
    adamm's Avatar
    adamm is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Seems like a bodybuilding routine to me, with a lot of isolation exercises. This isn't exactly a program for strength.
    It has squats and deadlifts, bench, presses and rows. That is all strength. Yes, there are isolation exercises, and yes they provide hypertrophy. But you know what? Even isolation exercises help you get stronger. Increasing muscle size is a useful addition to a strength training program, and they do complement each other. All of the competitive power lifters and Olympic lifters do isolation "assistance" work.

    I was just providing this as an option, not trying to convince you to do anything. Personally, I workout like a bodybuilder, with 5 way bodypart split. Sure I do my compound movements for strength, but I also do lots of isolation work too. I like the fact that hypertrophy specific exercises are great for insulin sensitivity (as well as other health benefits). That is my bag. But I'm also reasonably strong (450 lb deadlift, 350 lb squat). They aren't mutually exclusive, you know

    --Me

  10. #20
    quikky's Avatar
    quikky is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,141
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm View Post
    It has squats and deadlifts, bench, presses and rows. That is all strength. Yes, there are isolation exercises, and yes they provide hypertrophy. But you know what? Even isolation exercises help you get stronger. Increasing muscle size is a useful addition to a strength training program, and they do complement each other. All of the competitive power lifters and Olympic lifters do isolation "assistance" work.

    I was just providing this as an option, not trying to convince you to do anything. Personally, I workout like a bodybuilder, with 5 way bodypart split. Sure I do my compound movements for strength, but I also do lots of isolation work too. I like the fact that hypertrophy specific exercises are great for insulin sensitivity (as well as other health benefits). That is my bag. But I'm also reasonably strong (450 lb deadlift, 350 lb squat). They aren't mutually exclusive, you know

    --Me
    Do you really think, whether from a strength, or even hypertrophy, standpoint, an average person will benefit more from a lot of isolation work, instead of just diverting that extra time, energy, and recovery to putting more weight on the bar with compound lifts? Remember, it's not like time and recovery are infinite. Time and muscle fatigue spent on doing a bunch of lateral raises would probably be better used for getting one's press to a higher poundage.

    Also, why a 5/8/12/15 type of pyramid. 15 reps of squats or deadlifts in a single set (total being ~40 work reps), especially for a beginner? Why not just do 3 sets of 5 reps and increase the weight a little every time? It has proven quite effective.

    I'd say 99% of lifters can become strong, healthy, and muscular by just doing heavy squats, deadlifts, bench presses, presses, and chin-ups. If you can't become strong with just those exercises, you're doing something wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •