Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions for Stronglifts People page 2

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Starting Strength has some charts that define the various levels novice, advanced, elite etc... you will have to dig them up, I'm too lazy!
    Noooo! That's exactly what they're not supposed to be. In fact, this exact confusion is why Rippetoe took down the charts in the first place. They have just recently been resurrected, and the categories are just I, II, III, IV, and V, to avoid associating them with level of advancement.

How much weight you can do for a given lift has nothing to do with your level of advancement!

prufock is offline Member
    Well, regardless of what they are called, I found the chart. My squats and dead lifts are at level III ("intermediate"), while the rest of my exercises are at level II ("novice"). Out of proportion, but considering my back issues it's not something I want to worry about too much. I've been training on this program for about 7 months, so it's still expected that I'd be at level II. This isn't my first time lifting; I've done some split body work before, as well as compound. I've been sort of an off-and-on lifter up to now, and switched up programs every 6 months or so. At this point I'd like to stick with what I'm doing. As long as I continue to see some progress, I plan to keep at it with SL, at least until I get to the point where I'm stalling on 1x5. I'm not sure where I'll go after that - Madcow, Wendler? Any suggestions?

The big difference with Starting Strength seems to be the inclusion of cleans instead of rows. Should I try inserting some power cleans at some point? I know I'll be behind on these relative to the rest of my exercises, but will I be overtraining if I put in a group of 3x5 cleans starting with low weight on day B (dead lifts day)?

Man, I'm looking at the calorie counts that some people recommend; I don't know how anyone can eat that much! Seems pretty expensive too. I'm going to try amping up my intake a bit.

Thanks for the responses so far.

01tj is offline Junior Member
    Do you take off weeks? I usually take a week off about every two months and usually come back more motivated

Stacy15 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    Hey, I've been doing the Stronglifts program for about 6 months now.
    Was going to post asking if anyone had results with SL and would recommend it, and here you are already talking about it. So thought I might chime in if you don't mind. Is it changing your body shape for the better along with gaining strength?

GKL
    GKL is offline Member
    You sound over-trained to me, especially the part about feeling down at the end of a work out and being stalled. I'm physically exhausted at the end of a workout but mentally charged. I have felt down before and de-loading is the only thing that fixed it.

Take two weeks off. I know it sounds like an eternity and I'm sure your panicking about what you'd lose, but you'll proabably end up ahead in every respect. There is a ton of research (much of which has been referenced on PB by Mark) supporting the idea that extended de-loads help, not hurt. Just keep your eating clean, nutrient -dense and high in protein.

sunsis is offline Member
    Are you eating enough calories? You gotta up them pretty big time on your lifting days, including upping your carbs.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=quikky;1155606]Noooo! That's exactly what they're not supposed to be. In fact, this exact confusion is why Rippetoe took down the charts in the first place. They have just recently been resurrected, and the categories are just I, II, III, IV, and V, to avoid associating them with level of advancement.

Settle down. Rip changing the categories to numbers doesn't change a thing other than added ambiguity. Don't be hatin' just because you're still in the untrained category ;P
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Settle down. Rip changing the categories to numbers doesn't change a thing other than added ambiguity. Don't be hatin' just because you're still in the untrained category ;P
    It doesn't change a thing, and that thing is exactly what I said:

The Strength Standards Tables are back up.

Don't spread the confusion around.

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    It doesn't change a thing, and that thing is exactly what I said:

The Strength Standards Tables are back up.

Don't spread the confusion around.
    Use those charts and follow them as doctrine!

Lighten up Francis. "OMG don't read those charts. You may consider yourself a novice!!!" Seriously....

Please stop posting, everyone's IQ is going down.
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Use those charts and follow them as doctrine!

Lighten up Francis. "OMG don't read those charts. You may consider yourself a novice!!!" Seriously....

Please stop posting, everyone's IQ is going down.
    There's a reason they were taken down originally. It's an important reason, because LP is cut short most times without the mistake of misinterpreting a table.

If you don't care and want to act like an immature ass, go ahead, but those who care about their training will benefit from knowing what the tables represent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast