Thread: Betaine HCL for low stomach acid page

YogaBare is offline Senior Member

Betaine HCL for low stomach acid

Shop Now
    I've just started supplementing Betaine HCL for suspected low stomach acid. Wasn't sure of the protocol, so I'm following the info below - do you guys think that sounds about right?

Eat a meal that contains at least 15-20grams of protein (about 4-6ounces of meat).
    Start by taking 1 pill (650mg of less) of Betaine HCL during the beginning of the meal
    Finish the meal as normal and observe your body for any changes in feeling associated with the stomach and belly button area. Things to look for: heaviness, hotness, burning, or other GI distress.
    Stay at this dosage of 1 pill for another day of meals with protein and if you donít notice anything on the 3rd day, try 2 pills.
    Stay there for another day and then try 3 pills.
    Keep increasing the number of pills taken with each meal until you notice some GI discomfort described in step #3.
    When this happens, you will know your ideal Betaine HCL dosage is 1 pill less. For example, if you felt the discomfort going from 5 pills to 6 pills, then 5 pills is your proper dosage for a normal meal.
    ------

I started with a dosage of two 325mg tabs, but haven't had any burning or anything so I'm assuming I need to build to more. I have noticed that it makes me burp though - does anyone know what that means?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    I am supplementing with Hcl - my trainer/nutritionist just gave me the first batch of pills and told to "test" myself in a similar way. He told me to do the test a bit differently though - increase the amount of pills every meal and watch out for burning. I took up to seven pills and never experienced any burning at all. I then started taking 3 pills per meal (higher dose pills, roughly the same as those 7 test pills). Since I have been able to reduce it to 2 pills (after 9 months or so) - after I started feeling the burn when taking 3 pills.
    I don't know wanything about burping though (except that it's not very pleaseant to burp after taking hcl)

ombat is offline Senior Member
    My naturopath advised I take betaine HCL + pepsin in this manner. I was given the "up one pill at each meal" protocol, but it wouldn't do any harm to go more slowly than that.

I tried it multiple times, eating different types of diets, combining it with other digestive enzymes / supplements, and each time it made me worse. I never felt the "warming" sensation, but my stomach bloated (more than usual...) hard as a rock and felt sore (as though I'd spent the day doing crunches). I can't recall if I experienced burping, though. I don't doubt that I have low stomach acid, but my gut was so seriously f-ed up that I think the acid irritated it? This is my hypothesis. I don't think I have too much stomach acid... The consensus nowadays is that that's pretty rare... Anyway, has this happened to anyone? Perhaps after 8 months primal and taking other measures to heal my gut I should try again?

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I just started taking the stuff a few weeks ago, and I started at 2 pill, and have since gone to 3, around 1500 mgs. If its a small meal (3 eggs, 2 bacon) I take two, if it's much larger I take 3, and if it's a MEGA MEAL I take 4. I've definitely noticed improvements in digestion since I started taking them though.

little vase is online now Senior Member
    yb have you looked into apple cider vinegar? It doesn't make sense (since it's an acid itself) but I keep reading positive things about it.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=...w=1059&bih=695