Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations please :) page

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member

Book Recommendations please :)

Primal Fuel
    So I have a birthday coming up and have been asked for ideas as I'm an akward bugger to buy for

Seeing as I have got all my info on paleo off the interweb I though an actual book would be nice.

So what is the best book out there for really geeking out on the science stuff, I want to lean more stuff about anti-nutrients and insulin sensitivity/resistance, how different carbs are metabolised, how fat is used for energy with propper chemistry stuff, all that kinda crap

Thanks
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Nothing to do with anything you're asking about, but this is an amazing resource for cooking: http://www.flavourthesaurus.com/

Instead of giving you recipes it teaches you how to combine flavours

There are lots of other book suggestions on this page: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82395.html

Happy birthday in advance? Can we ask how young you'll be?
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Mentally I'm still 14
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

awok677 is online now Senior Member
    books on my shelf with 'proper chemistry stuff' :

The Paleo Answer by Loren Cordain

the Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living by Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney

The Diet Delusion by Gary Taubes

Wheat Belly by William Davis

Of these, all the authors except Taubes are MD or PhD. The Taubes book is excellent and is refered to by most of the other books. Basically it's about the best overview on how on earth we got into this mess and it has all the source references you could want. Taubes is a journalist so what he's done is a massive collating job of pulling together who said what in what papers and conferences and how it got changed or influenced against what the evidence actually shows by people who had an agenda. But there's certainly plenty of biological and chemical detail in there.

I started with Volek and Phinney which referred to and sent me looking at Taubes, so I'd recommend either of those to start. Volek and Phinney is of course shorter and mostly just has the chemistry/biology. It fired me up to read Taubes which been sitting on my shelf. My brother started with Wheat Belly and then Taubes. Fair warning - these books are addictive, even in Kindle format. Having a shelf of them is positively seductive.

ETA: When I'm pointed at a new book I always check out the amazon reviews and if there's a 'look inside' option to see if it's the kind of thing I'm expecting.
    Last edited by awok677; 04-10-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I enjoyed reading Wheat Belly, Fat Chance by Dr. Lustig, and Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes. It's scientific but written for lay people, so I don't know if that is along the lines of what you're looking for. Great sources of information and writing, though I found Wheat Belly to not be as great as others have touted.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Matt is offline Member
    My fav book is "The Perfect Health Diet" by Paul Jaminet and Shou-Ching Shih Jaminet. My other favs are "The Paleo Soultion" by Robb Wolf and of course "The Primal Blueprint". The latter are easier reads, but I tend to eat more like "The Perfect Health Diet" suggests (i.e. inclusion of safe starches).

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Body Primal Mind by Nora Gedgaudas

oxide is offline Senior Member
    "Good Caloires/Bad Calories"(Gary Taubes) is the best science geek out.
    "Why we get fat" is supposedly the easy version of GC/BC.
    I haven't read it, but the original Atkins books from the late 1970's are probably very interesting from a historical perspective.

Pay no attention to who has which college degree. I've known some pretty dumb PhD's and some pretty smart people with no college degree at all. Taubes is as smart as they come.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

BeatMD is offline Member
    Wow I'm glad someone made this thread. I want to read more books too. So far I have read The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf, Primal Blue Print, and It Starts With Food by Dallas & Melissa Hartwig.
    Thanks

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    The Protein Power Lifeplan by Drs. Michael R. Eades and Mary Dan Eades.

Great explanations on the science. And if like me, you think some of it is a bit too technical, they have a bottom line segment summing up each chapter. I found the chapter on cholesterol amazing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast