Thread: Once-A-Week Cooking organization and logistics page

Charlie Golf is offline Senior Member

Question Once-A-Week Cooking organization and logistics

Primal Fuel
    Traveling for a living, I struggle with nutrition both in quality and quantity. As such, I find myself poorly fueled for workouts which leads to stress, poor sleep, poor recovery, etc. I've also recently learned that I have sensitivities to certain Primal/Paleo foods that were staples of mine and have been advised to eliminate them for at least 6 weeks before rotating them back in - specifically whole eggs, tomatoes, and carrots

Breakfast is the biggest challenge because it seems one looks like an alien if you don't order eggs or some grain-based carb abomination before 11 AM. I've decided to try some Once-A-Week cooking (OAWC) to make quality meals to freeze and carry with me on my trips. I've got a great cooler bag and a FoodSaver to vacuum seal with. I'm starting simple with 3 recipes:

• Pan-browned GF Ground Beef w/"Creamed" Kale sautéed in coconut milk
    • Grilled Salmon w/steamed (or grilled) asparagus drizzled with GF butter
    • Grilled or Stir Fried Chicken Thighs w/Spinach sautéed with EVOO

I'm filling in the gaps with nuts, GF jerky, fruit. PWO sweet potato baby food, unsweetened apple sauce, whey powder.

I am normally going to need 4-5 full days worth of meals. I'm trying to be efficient with the logistics of taking this endeavor on. Plan to expand the recipe repertoire once I get a system down. Hoping anyone who does OAWC can offer some hints, tips, suggestions. How would you organize the cook-a-thon for the stuff above?

TIA
    iHerb.com 1st time buyer $5 discount code: GIS836

polos26 is offline Senior Member
    I some times cook several meals for the week, just so I can free up some time during the week. The kitchen shuts down for everything else but I find that I waste less food that way. In my case a lot of time I just use half of a veggie, save the other half, which i then forget about until I find it in the back of the fridge... buts thats neither here or there.

I get stew meat and throw it in the crock pot with onions, spices, bone broth maybe peppers and turn it on high. While that cooks I can cut up chicken pieces and sautee them in cast iron pan salt and pepper until browned then I add half a can of coconut milk and curry powder, cover, turn to super low heat and simmer for as long as im in the kitchen. In the meant time I am also roasting something in the oven, salmon or perhaps some churrasco steak or both. Each dish can be split in 2 meals. I also have 2 crockpots so some times they are both on duty.

I live in a tiny apartment with the worlds most horrible designed kitchen in terms of space, but it is totally doable!

Good luck!
    Loving my primal life

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I was working 3 jobs, I used to cook for the week on Sundays. I had 10 sectioned plastic plates. I would steam vegetables and pack them into the smaller sections, then cook some sort of meat and pack it into the larger section, sometimes with rice. I would take 2 plates with me when I left for work in the morning.