Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to keep egg yolks soft

How to keep egg yolks soft

Shop Now
    Lately I've been incorporating egg yolks into different recipes for a little fat/protein boost... and though I like the texture when the yolk's still a little bit liquid, I've started wondering whether they're fully cooked if they're in that state.

Can anyone offer any insight? I don't want to be wasting protein by eating eggs uncooked. Is there a way to get my eggs fully cooked while still keeping them pretty soft?

Timthetaco Guest
    I believe most of the protein is in the whites. Yolks need not be cooked.

As I understand it raw yolks are fine unless there's some external contamination, which is very rare in pastured eggs. Egg whites contain some difficult proteins and should be cooked.

I boil my eggs very briefly because I enjoy the creamy yolks.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    I believe most of the protein is in the whites. Yolks need not be cooked.
    About 50% of the protein is in the whites and 50% in the yolk, from what I've read

According to Nourishing Traditions the protein in question is avidin, found only in the whites. It supposedly interferes with B-vitamin uptake when raw.

Don't cook them too long, 4min for a large egg and white will be solid and have runny yolks.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalStudent View Post
    Lately I've been incorporating egg yolks into different recipes for a little fat/protein boost... and though I like the texture when the yolk's still a little bit liquid, I've started wondering whether they're fully cooked if they're in that state.

Can anyone offer any insight? I don't want to be wasting protein by eating eggs uncooked. Is there a way to get my eggs fully cooked while still keeping them pretty soft?
    I don't understand the bolded sentence.

There are 6.3 gms of protein in a whole uncooked egg. IOW yolk + white.
    There are 3.6 gms of protein in a whole uncooked white.

A hard boiled egg has the same amounts of protein.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I don't understand the bolded sentence.

There are 6.3 gms of protein in a whole uncooked egg. IOW yolk + white.
    There are 3.6 gms of protein in a whole uncooked white.

A hard boiled egg has the same amounts of protein.
    I was under the impression that protein from an uncooked egg (i.e. when raw eggs are put into a smoothie) is not fully absorbed. I'm asking whether runny egg yolks are fully cooked or not, because if they're not, I'll only be consuming a portion of the egg's protein.

Thank you - I was completely clueless as to what you meant.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Shop Now
    Darn it I was looking for a recipe on how to boil eggs and keep the yolk soft, but i can't find it.

It was basically pouring 1/2 cup of water in a small saucepan and covering it until it boils, which would be pretty fast. But the eggs and cover again. The key was in the timing, but I did it yesterday for like 3 or 4 minutes and they came out pretty good. So you can tinker with them a few times and see. The steam make the eggs cook better and more uniformly if you boil more than one.