Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is actually losing weight? page 3

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The only way I can lose weight is to count calories. I'm an emotional eater and whatever regulates true hunger doesn't work in me. I certainly wish it did. But one can do both. Eat primal and count calories. I don't drink 300 calorie cups of coffee - when I put butter or coconut oil in my coffee, it's generally 50-75 calories worth.

I also think a lot of stalled weight happens because sometimes newer people glom on to the things that are primal but should be eaten in small amounts like nuts, dark chocolate, and wine. Yes, they're primal because they have some benefits and aren't in and of themselves poison, but logic will tell you that if you want to lose weight, you can't end your evenings with a bowl of nuts, a bar of chocolate, and a bottle of wine.

That's just my experience. Both my parents were overweight, and I was a chubby child. Whatever gene I didn't get (and there is starting to be some gene research as to why some folks just naturally don't over eat), or whatever satiation mechanism I didn't get doesn't really matter to me. If I don't keep track on paper of what I eat, I will over eat, and I will gain weight.

The biggest difference is the lower carbs. That keeps me from being miserable when I eat less than the fatty pants gremlin in my brain wants to.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    50 pounds off in total. Maintained for several months now. No counting, but had to eliminate eggs, dairy and nuts due to allergies. I really didn't expect to lose anything like that, fully expected to stop 20lbs ago. I now work hard to eat enough to stay the same and not lose.

Pretty much unlimited fruit, veg, meat and fat. but very light on starchy veg. and virtually no sugar until I reached a reasonable goal weight, still trying to keep it down.
    Last edited by Silvergirl; 04-09-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    I am one of those who has not been able to lose weight on PB. I stopped eating grains, sugar & AS over a year a go & lost 40lb. I found MDA in Dec last year & since the start of Jan I have eaten <6g Carb/day & feel great. I do not drink, eat chocolate or cheat in any other way. I have stopped the nuts for the past month & am now cutting out the dairy again (I only started butter & cream after reading PB).

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    I just ignore the 'nuerotic calorie counting' types, and stick to the PB properr.
    Yes, I weigh daily & track every thing I eat to the gram because not doing so didn’t work for over 6 months & I am trying to find what works for me. Despite sticking to ‘PB properr’ & eating to just below BMR or eating low cal (<1130) nothing is working. I have not managed to lose my surplus 35lb whatever I do.

I am taking a break from trying to lose weight right now & am enjoying eating to satiety again without guilt or worry, before I start some form of PSMF as I am convinced that is the only way for ME to lose the weight. I will continue to eat PB & VLC as it makes me feel good & keeps the black dog at bay but please don’t assume eating primal is a magic bullet or that losing weight is easy for everyone.
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 04-10-2013 at 12:27 AM.

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Didn't have a lot of weight to loose - was was eating an ok CW diet before.
    Lost weight quick, now close to 'ideal weight'' - whatever that means
    I hover around that weight.

Happy but I always experiment and change things up to keep it interesting.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm dropping fat (as opposed to simply losing weight) - but it is very slow.

I dropped about 12lbs very quickly when I stopped eating grains and then stalled for a long while. Looking back, I was probably guilty of overeating the good stuff and had to do quite a bit of tweaking to find out what works for me.

I have a history of comfort/emotional binge eating and a long history of dieting - therefore it's really important to me not to have to count calories or track macronutrients as it does make me neurotic, obsessed and likely to binge. However, not counting has enabled me to remain binge free now for over a year (and I honestly think that as long as I eat good, clean food and steer clear of the junk, I've got it covered).

Personally I think it is possible for most people (other than those with other health issues) to drop fat on PB, however I think it takes time. A long period of purely following PB as per the book is a good idea, followed by a further period where you learn to tune into your body and tweak things so that they suit you. High fat, pretty low carb suits me for now (although I know there are many for whom it doesn't work), but I keep a close eye on lots of things including body fat, weight, energy levels, hormonal issues etc to make sure that I know when the time is right to tweak again.

PB is a fantastic starting point, but it most definitely isn't a 'one size fits all'.

goinggrok is offline Senior Member
    I too seem to lose weight slow. I think we believe after reading some very successful stories that we should all be able to achieve that. Its not true. But as slow as it seems, I too am much happier. I don't often add non primal foods into my mouth, two cheats in the last 7 weeks...if you want to call them cheats.
    I am a slow learner at listening to my body as well. I am not as "in tune" with it as others are. I wouldn't say I over eat as I eat two meals a day breaky and dinner. I don't indulge in the primal goodies often either (almond flour, choc, etc)
    So I just accept it for what it is and try and enjoy the fact that I am eating great food now instead of junk.
    If the weight loss happens but it takes 6 or more months..I guess its still a good thing!
    Patience is something we can all learn more of

Patti is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoeamy View Post

Is anyone who (seriously) has 50+ pounds to lose having (or had) troubles?

And what is up with the neurotic calorie counting?
    My experience with the PWOL is shorter than most here. In the little over 2 weeks I've been eating a paleo/primal diet I've lost 11 lbs. and it feels effortless. Most of this is probably water weight, and that's fine. My hope is to control the loss to keep it to a much slower pace so that I don't encounter issues with hair loss or loose skin. If my doc is right, those issues can be avoided by losing slowly. To this end I eat at least one starch (sweet potato, banana, or plantain) a day, two to three servings of fruit, and an ounce or two of nuts, a little bit of Kerrygold cheese, and a little heavy cream in addition to all of the other delicious things on the menu. When it's time to start tweaking the menu because I'm gaining or stalled for a long time, those will be the first to cut back on.

11lbs. down, 89 to go. Even better than the weight loss, my osteoarthritis pain is 95% gone in two weeks after being very painful for the past few years. Even if I never lost another pound, I'm still better off than I was a month ago.

Regarding calorie counting, for some it is essential to their personal progress. Personally, it drives me nuts to track and I'll only do it for a very short time to get a snapshot of what current pattern I'm following in order to make changes.

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    I'm losing weight (without counting calories), but I don't really talk about it.

I'm doing this WOE for health - I feel amazing when I stick to 80/20, but I usually do something closer to 95/5, because meat/veggies/fruit are what I LIKE to eat.

I've lost something like 45-50lbs in the last 6-8 months, but I haven't really been weighing myself more than once every couple of months (the height/weight charts always say I need to be about 10lbs under my LBM. ain't happening.), and going by clothing sizes seems ridiculous (thanks vanity sizing, I'm a 4!)... I feel great, I don't really care how much I weigh as long as I feel good (and it feels good to be "reducing" so yes, that's part of it.).

I also think a lot of people don't really look into ALL aspects of the PB... they just start eating a lot of fat and protein and say they're "fully primal" - but when they post menus there's still lots of junk in their diet, and what about sleep, play, fitness, getting sunshine, etc.?

For those that are eating "perfectly," and not losing, they may need to count calories, and/or it could be other bits and bobs inside healing or readjusting. *shrug*

hopefully something in there helps you...

Heliotrope is offline Member
    I've been trying to lose the last five pounds since January 1. (I did Wheat Belly in 2012 and lost 10 to 12 pounds.) Even-lower-carb didn't work--cravings set in. Then I tried Perfect Health Diet. I felt great on that, but I did puff up a small bit.

I recently read Mark's Reasons You're Not Losing Weight post, and that was helpful. Right now, I am tinkering with PHD weight-loss version, eating some safe starches but not as much as recommended. Cut out nuts. Try not to eat too much cheese. And adding more activity. Someone posted a recommendation somewhere on the forums to do your strength moves--squats, push-ups, etc.--three times a day. I've being doing them twice a day so far and added sprints yesterday. Plus no dinner for an intermittent fast as often as I can manage.

Tinker, tinker, it's April--but I do believe I'm starting to lose again.

Gladmorning is offline Senior Member
    Yes. I have a total of 100 lbs to lose before I reach my first major goal. So far, since February 1st 2013 I have shed 37 lbs.

Strangely enough, even after taking off almost 40 lbs, I haven't lost a pants size. I have lost most of the weight off my upper body. I have lost 3 1/4 inches off my hips, 3 off my waist and (just measured today) 4 off my busy. In the last 1.5 weeks, my weight loss has stalled a little bit, but it is because of my card festing. I was having some seriously awful cravings for potatoes. So, I ate them. And ate them. In March I started with some serious IFing, and now I am doing Alternate day fasting. Essentially, I eat every other day. It's an amazing feeling having this much control over my body. ADF sounds crazy, but it is wonderful and works so well with my life.

Don't be discouraged. I know it can get that way reading this forum and dealing with your own progress, but it will happen. I can't wrap my head around needing to only lose 60 lbs more before I reach that "100 down" goal. Now, that is not my ideal weight. Ideal weight is about 20-30 lbs under my 100 down goal. But, I LOVE nice round numbers, so I am starting there. Once I get 100 down, I will make a new goal and go from there.

When I started, I said I didn't care how long it took. 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, whatever. I no longer life a lifestyle that supports obesity, and my body will eventually adjust accordingly.
    The process is simple: Free your mind, and your ass will follow.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast