Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is actually losing weight? page 2

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I lost approx 18lbs following strict primal (not counting calories and only sort-of-estimating carbs) and I did not find it hard at all. I lost a little more than I intended as I found it hard to stop losing at first. Since then I have maintained the same weight for several months, which is actually a little trickier than losing in my opinion.

I don't think it's hard to lose weight on primal, what some people seem to find difficult is actually sticking to the blueprint. I do not fully understand this, but feel it is probably related to negative mindset and self confidence issues, strong unhealthy habits, addictiveness of SAD products, hormonal unbalances and various other factors from being too far out of kilter with diet and health for too long. They can't be insurmountable problems though, because many people have successfully pushed through to overcome them.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    I lost approx 18lbs following strict primal (not counting calories and only sort-of-estimating carbs) and I did not find it hard at all. I lost a little more than I intended as I found it hard to stop losing at first. Since then I have maintained the same weight for several months, which is actually a little trickier than losing in my opinion.

I don't think it's hard to lose weight on primal, what some people seem to find difficult is actually sticking to the blueprint. I do not fully understand this, but feel it is probably related to negative mindset and self confidence issues, strong unhealthy habits, addictiveness of SAD products, hormonal unbalances and various other factors from being too far out of kilter with diet and health for too long. They can't be insurmountable problems though, because many people have successfully pushed through to overcome them.
    What some people find hard is not "sticking to the blueprint". What they find hard is that they don't seem to be able to recognize unconsciously when their bodies have had enough food so they can stop eating. And then people judge them and tell them they are doing it wrong, and make up all sorts of things they must be doing wrong, without any direct knowledge of the situation.

So, you think people are overeating on primal food? Rather than slipping back into eating the junk? I see lots of people confessing to succumbing to garbage even though they know it's wrong.

EagleRiverDee is offline Senior Member
    I'm directly guilty of what Annieh suggested. I fall off the wagon sometimes. If I'm eating primal, I lose weight. If I eat CW, I gain weight. I find it hard to overeat when eating primally.
    High Weight: 225
    Weight at start of Primal: 189
    Current Weight: 174
    Goal Weight: 130

Primal Start Date: 11/26/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    So, you think people are overeating on primal food? Rather than slipping back into eating the junk? I see lots of people confessing to succumbing to garbage even though they know it's wrong.
    Yep. There are people who are overeating the good stuff. And it's annoying as heck to be told you're lying or delusional by someone who has no idea what you're eating.

Ok, I see the other side of the coin now and I accept that just because I found it relatively simple to lose (and I wasn't going for 50+ pounds either) doesn't mean others won't find it difficult for whatever reason. I hope I never said anyone was delusional though.

No, you didn't say that. But I have seen it said previously that people are deceiving themselves. And it does happen at times. Just not all the time.

qqemokitty is offline Senior Member
    There are lots of ways to lose weight. Primal and paleo are not "weight loss diets" they are ways of eating that lead to health - a benefit of said health is losing or gaining to and then maintaining a healthy weight.

I am someone who seems perpetually on a weight loss journey. Primal is not my problem. I feel great when I eat paleo/primal and I feel like crap when I eat processed junk. I gain weight when I eat 3-4K calories in a day, which is scary easy to do when you are eating fast food, or junk, or desserts (processed grains carry massive caloric cost for little benefit) and unhealthy oils compound the problem.

MY problem is disordered eating of the emotional binging variety. You will encounter dozens if not hundreds of people here who have disordered eating of some kind or another and don't even know it. You will find many who are just plain addicted to engineered-to-be-addictive processed foods.

Substance addictions are easier for some people to kick than others. Some people will be looking for "the next big thing" to help them lose weight for the rest of their lives. These forums are full of threads with the same handful of people jumping on to each new fad to make it work, and they backslide and fall victim not only to their own unrecognized disordered eating patterns, but an insistence on over-complicating primal eating. It's not rocket science, but a lot of us feel if we are not making things complicated (measure this, count that, restrict this, restrict that) that it's not going to "work."

There is literally nothing as simple in the world as "eat meat and veggies and fruit and some nuts and sleep well and move around some." For many, that very simplicity is what makes it so damn hard.

/endsoapboxing

zoeamy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qqemokitty View Post
    There are lots of ways to lose weight. Primal and paleo are not "weight loss diets" they are ways of eating that lead to health - a benefit of said health is losing or gaining to and then maintaining a healthy weight.

I am someone who seems perpetually on a weight loss journey. Primal is not my problem. I feel great when I eat paleo/primal and I feel like crap when I eat processed junk. I gain weight when I eat 3-4K calories in a day, which is scary easy to do when you are eating fast food, or junk, or desserts (processed grains carry massive caloric cost for little benefit) and unhealthy oils compound the problem.

MY problem is disordered eating of the emotional binging variety. You will encounter dozens if not hundreds of people here who have disordered eating of some kind or another and don't even know it. You will find many who are just plain addicted to engineered-to-be-addictive processed foods.

Substance addictions are easier for some people to kick than others. Some people will be looking for "the next big thing" to help them lose weight for the rest of their lives. These forums are full of threads with the same handful of people jumping on to each new fad to make it work, and they backslide and fall victim not only to their own unrecognized disordered eating patterns, but an insistence on over-complicating primal eating. It's not rocket science, but a lot of us feel if we are not making things complicated (measure this, count that, restrict this, restrict that) that it's not going to "work."

There is literally nothing as simple in the world as "eat meat and veggies and fruit and some nuts and sleep well and move around some." For many, that very simplicity is what makes it so damn hard.

/endsoapboxing

I find this whole conversation very interesting. I think that Primal is a great way to eat, for health.

I worry that I overeat, because I'm pretty sure thats my issue, but that being said I've had no problems "sticking" to primal (for whooohooo all of one week), but as i've mentioned elsewhere, hunger... oh, hunger.

And, is wine really "cheating"? Does it really matter?

surely thats not half as bad as eating a deep fried mars bar or something.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I lost around 50 lbs just following primal principles (plus no dairy, nuts, or eggs) - from a US size 14 to a 4/6. This was without counting of anything.

If I get lazy and eat white rice or sugar too frequently I will start to gain again.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast