Thread: Excess Dietary fat.

Hybrid View

Excess Dietary fat.

Al Salam al' Aikum my fellow Cavemen and women across the interwebzz..

My question to you is this: What happens when excess dietary fats are ingested? I remember reading somewhere that the metabolism will raise in an effort to burn leftovers, but can anyone confirm this to be true? Am I deluded? Am I grasping at imagined ideas to reassure myself that weight gain (as long as carb count is down) is merely a remnant of the carby past when insulin is in check? And can anyone give me the link to the page (if it even exists!) of such findings?
    And also, would an increase of fat correlate to higher ketone production? Or is that purely to do with minimising carb intake?

Much love and cyber smooches xxx

p.s. please don't mistake light heartedness for a lack of seriousness to my questions.

Define "excess"

I would define "excess dietary fat" as fat calories that put you over your daily caloric need. Some people will become more thermic and burn off more calories in this situation. Most will eventually store excess calories as fat and put on weight.

My layman understanding:
    Digested fat simply joins the circulation so less gets withdrawn from storage and more gets deposited temporarily until the FFA level in the blood returns to a fasting level.

Ingested SCT and MCT fats like butyric acid and lauric acid will turn into ketones because tissues can't use them directly, but mainly ketone production is determined by the brain's glucose supply.

There's an individual threshold when our metabolism speeding up hits its peak and excess calories became excess fat storage. There are studies that show the metabolism slows down in a deficit but also temporarily speeds up in a surplus, making it harder to predictably lose AND gain weight; both of these thresholds are undetermined and strictly individual. It's impossible to predict in grams or kcals how much this is, as it differs from person to person and even day to day within that person. Bottom line: its possible that your metabolism temporarily or marginally speeds up or down depending on your food manipulation and activity and other environmental factors, but I wouldn't count on it to always work in the same way.
    Last edited by j3nn; 04-09-2013 at 01:31 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

off topic but oh my goodness are those your own calves eKatherine?!

Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post
    off topic but oh my goodness are those your own calves eKatherine?!
    Yes, they are.

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Yes, they are.

wow!!! Awesome!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenry Hennings View Post
    Al Salam al' Aikum my fellow Cavemen and women across the interwebzz..

My question to you is this: What happens when excess dietary fats are ingested? I remember reading somewhere that the metabolism will raise in an effort to burn leftovers, but can anyone confirm this to be true?
    In the case of ingested dietary fat the thermogenic effect is very low, only between 0 - 3%, so if in a calorie surplus almost all dietary fat will be stored as body fat, far more easy than any other macronutrients! Carbs have a thermogenic effect of 10 %, so this amount of calories will be burnt off in the digestion. Protein is the true dieters friend, and whopping 30% will be burnt off by the thermogenic effect. So if in a calorie surplus or just above maintenance make sure to keep fat low and protein high…

So if talking in terms of actual health,
    Then Fats are the healthiest most efficient energy source, followed by Carb's and lastly Protein if there is no other choice.

The reason high protein diets work in weight loss is the body starts getting sick and actually becomes physically repulsed by the sight of another lean chicken breast, surely this is not healthy for either body or mind.