Thread: New to Primal - end of week one page

Ferg is offline Junior Member

Red face New to Primal - end of week one

Primal Fuel
    Hello

My name is Lorna but people call me Ferg, Fergie or The Ferg -feel free to use whatever.

I have been 'primal' now for the last week. I am not sure how I feel. Yesterday I felt good, energetic and faced a spin class head on after a bit of a stressful work day but today I feel tired and lacking energy.

I havent lost any weight yet - its only been a week and I guess my body will still be adapting. I am 5ft 10 and about 175lbs. I am not happy with my shape. I havent done much exercise or eating well in the last 3 months for various reasons and I want to change that.

Previously though I have been a lean, mean, fighting machine but I really put myself throught the mill to get there. I was addicted to the gym and sport. I was strong not skinny and I would like to be that way again.

I wonder if any of you fine people might give me some hints and tips about food. I am not sure if I am eating enough of the right types of food.

For example today I had 3 eggs for breakfast and a cup of green tea; lunch was later as I wasnt that hungry and consisted of some Turkey, mixed berries and greek yogurt (although not together on same plate - yuk!)

I have yet to have dinner but that will be smoked fish oven baked in butter, lemon, garlic and red onion with veggies with butter and I'll probably have some macademia nuts before I hit my metafit class.

I have had water to drink and only one cup of coffee today.

What do you think?

A typical breakfast has been 3 egg omelette with bacon or chicken and mushrooms/tomatoes cooked in coconut butter/oil, snacking on nuts/seeds and sometime fruit (although I may cut this out) and dinner has been chicken, steak, lamb with veggies all done in butter, oils, and I am cooking stuff with coconut milk and heavy cream doing what I can to get fats.

I love cooking with coconut and butters anyway so its not been too difficult.

I am on the right page? What else ought I be doing?

I have no grains, breads, rice, pasta etc or sweets in over a week. I did though have a glass of wine or two at the weekend - red of course.

I thought I'd feel more, you know different but I guess it early days still!

Thanks for reading!
    Ferg

Salina13 is offline Member
    Diary was making me still feel run-down, bloated and gassy so I had to cut it out of my diet until I found a company that has some A2 Beta-casein dairy versus the troublesome A1 that you get at the usual supermarkets. I can now eat dairy again without the yucky symptoms.
    Try cutting out the dairy you've been eating for awhile and see if you notice any consistent differences with how you feel.
    Its tough to get back into fitness if you haven't done it for awhile and eating better helps to a certain extent but I have found that some days when I workout I feel great and can go hard and then other days I can't do what I just did two days prior. Its a matter of finding the proper balance. When I went back through what I had eaten on both workout days, I found I had more protein before my workout on the day that I did really well.
    It is early days still, give it a few weeks of completely clean eating and you will start to feel and see the results. I lose weight quicker when I do ketogenic levels with very low carb, high fats and moderate protein.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Ferg. Welcome! Are you hungry other than just before meals? Then eat more.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Hi! Thanks for replies. Generally i havent bern hungry except as you saw just before meals. I am exhausted though and wonder if it has anything to do with diary? Could barely get out of bed this morning! Had the usual omelete with chicken and mixed peppers with green tea. Lunch is prepared and will be a makrel salad and no doubt ill snack on some nuts. Will cut out fruit today and diary.. Hopefully tomorrow i will feel much more energrtic!

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Maybe it was the spinning class, or you didn't have a great quality sleep?

I used to do a lot of cardio but these days only really do a little high intensity stuff, along with lifting some weights and my energy levels have shot through the roof. I don't think I realised until recently what a huge problem I had with stress, and how much better I have been feeling since I stopped the cardio (running mostly, but spinning too).

You could try adding more veggies into your diet maybe, or it could be that you've eaten something over the last few days that you're intolerant to.

It's a case of trial and error I'm afraid - no magic answers here!

Thanks Suppygirl. I think you're right. I will just need to work out what's best for me! Just re read my earlier post -I clearly was exhausted given the number of typos and spelling mistakes this morning. ooopps!

I am been extremely tired this afternoon. Not sure why. I have been sleeping ok. I did have a 3 hour meetinh this morning right enough with an hours driver afterwards -maybe thats why.

I will monitor things over the next few days and hopefullysee a difference.

Stresss has always been a problem for me given my line of work but I am trying to not get so worked up about stuff. One step at a time.

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    Hello and welcome.

As for tips, it may take up to 2 weeks for the weight to start coming off, as your body is adjusting to a new diet and exercise routine. At least that's how long it took me to start losing weight.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.