Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions Wanted on Couch Potato to 5K Type of Training page

lorih is offline Junior Member

Opinions Wanted on Couch Potato to 5K Type of Training

So. I have been lifting weight for quite some time. I feel I am strong and I do lift heavy (I guess - DL 135 lbs, squat 80 lbs, 90 lb rows, 80 lb lat pulldowns).

But I still need to lose about 20/30 lbs of fat, so I want to incorporate some high-intensity interval work once or twice a week into my fitness program.

However, I freely admit I am not in the greatest cardiovascular shape. I can walk for miles, and now that the weather is getting nicer in PA, I have been...but I can't jog at a very slow pace for more than 1/8 mile, and I can only do an all-out sprint at max effort for about 25-30 seconds before feeling like I need to stop or I will puke.

Due to this underdeveloped CV fitness, I am wondering if I will see good results just by following a simple CP25K program, at least for a while. Do you think that doing an easy jog/walk rotation three times a week will help me build up to feeling more comfortable doing hard sprints?

Thanks for your opinions.

Salina13 is offline Member
    I've done the couch to 5k a couple of times now and both times it got me back to being able to do sprints and run for a few miles without stopping. I ultimately can't keep a running schedule for very long periods of time because of my curvier girly figure and the aches and pains running causes in my hips and knees, but the couch to 5k is an excellent way to get started.
    I have some music playlists that tell you when to run and walk. PM me with a good email address and I can send them over to you to get you started.

ELizabeth826 is offline Senior Member
    I definitely think the couch to 5K program could be helpful to you. Sometimes people on here think no chronic cardio = no running ever! No chronic cardio means don't run/bike/elliptical for hours a day. I run 2-3 miles at about a 10 minute mile pace (so not fast) several times a week, and I don't think it's doing me any harm. 20 minutes of jogging a day isn't going to be a problem. It once you are better able to run at a slower pace, you will be in a better position to increase the intensity aka sprint.
    No disease that can be treated by diet should be treated with any other means.
    -Maimonodies

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure of your size or age, but you could defiintely build those lifts to heavier weights if you started following a program. I'm a 5'3", 170lb female and I deadlift 180, squat 175, bench 125 and press 90.

When doing sprints, you should only do all out sprints for 8-10 seconds at most. Check out the discussion in PBF for how to set up a good sprinting program.

If you really want, you could do C25K, but there are other options as well.

zoeamy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I'm not sure of your size or age, but you could defiintely build those lifts to heavier weights if you started following a program. I'm a 5'3", 170lb female and I deadlift 180, squat 175, bench 125 and press 90.

When doing sprints, you should only do all out sprints for 8-10 seconds at most. Check out the discussion in PBF for how to set up a good sprinting program.

If you really want, you could do C25K, but there are other options as well.

I agree. If you want to be better at sprinting, do sprinting. Your best option is tabata sprints.

lorih is offline Junior Member
    Thanks all.

Teach, I started NROLFW in January and (due to chronic winter illness between me and my daughter, and my husband's work travel schedule) I just finished Stage 1 two weeks ago. I start Stage 2 tomorrow. I have seen great strength increases just since January, so I do plan to continue with the program. Prior to that, I was doing more isolated stuff (curls, kickbacks, etc) and I didn't see nearly as much improvement, especially in such a short period of time. I'm 35, 5'5", 184, and have always been muscular. I know I will never be tiny or willowy, but I would like to get back to a size 10 (the size I was when I got married 10 years ago) or even - pipe dream - get to a size 8, which is smaller than I was even in high school.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've never looked at the couch to 5K program before. It seems like it gives you 6 weeks to get to the point where you are able to successfully run the distance without stopping to walk, and then in 3 weeks you get your speed up to 10 minute miles. Am I missing something? I can't imagine getting up to running 10 minute miles in that brief a period of training.

zoeamy is offline Member
    Couch to 5k is more about distance than time, its a pretty good program... if you're knees will take it

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    C25K can be done either by time or by distance. I did it at the age of 52 in 2007 and have been running ever since. I did the program by time because I didn't have anything to gauge distance at that time.

I've only done two 5Ks, but I was able to do them under my goal time of 40 minutes (after which I puked my guts out). I don't ever recall the program requiring that you run a 10 minute mile. I generally can't sustain higher than a 13.45 minute mile although, I can run a 11 or 12 minute pace for awhile.

I never had any real issues with my knees and you probably won't if you run in proper form. I've always run with a fore/mid-foot strike rather than a heel strike - keeping my knees slightly bent.

I think it's a great program for beginning runners.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynna View Post
    I don't ever recall the program requiring that you run a 10 minute mile.
    It wasn't so much a requirement as an observation that you'd be running 10 minute miles. I agree that 13-15 minutes per mile is more realistic for a person who has never run before.

The Couch-to-5K Running Plan | C25K Mobile App

I used to jog/run for fitness back when I was a lot younger, though I don't think I ever broke 10 minutes a mile. I've been doing a slow mile with sprints, with an occasional 4.5 mile walk. The weather was so nice the other day that just before seeing this thread for the first time I ran 3.6 miles. "Run" may be an exaggeration here, as I call my speed "slog" (slow jog). I could walk faster. 10 minute miles would be like a dream to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast