Thread: Hello from Chicago page

rona_j is offline Junior Member

Hello from Chicago

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Everyone!

Im 39 years old and really excited to have found all of you on MDA. Me, my husband and brother started this journey together yesterday.

I'm 5'6" and 150 pounds. Doesn't sound so bad, but being Filipino and having just returned from the Philippines to visit my family, its very apparent that I should be considerably smaller! I typically go to the gym 6 days a week but am looking forward to doing more fun and less intense working out - maybe more yoga or splashing around in a pool instead of weightlifting 3 days a week.

In any case, I'm going Primal to lose some body fat, get more energy and to get rid of my asthma medication. Oh, the side effect bikini body would hurt either!

Yesterday was day 1 and I don't think I've eaten such good food all day long in quite a while! Breakfast was an omelette with peppers, onions, mushrooms and avocado. Lunch was a big a**salad with chicken - strawberries, blueberries and raspberries in lieu of dressing. Dinner was salmon, bacon, brussel sprouts, mashed cauliflower and mushrooms. Snacks included nuts, seeds and a plum. I did learn I'm not much of a salad person so that means more cooked veggies for me!

I'm looking forward to getting the hang of meal planning. Oh! yesterday I joined a CSA for real meat including grass fed beef, pastured pork, chicken and eggs. So excited to get the first box o' meat on Saturday. Yum!

Have a great day everyone. See you around!

Rona J.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    hello and welcome! love the Phillipines, been scuba diving at Boracay, Sapang - Punta Galera and visited all over. I lost loads of weight there eating sinigang (siligang??) every day for breakfast and fantastic seafood at night after a day in the water - great country, lovely people!

good luck and enjoy those meats when they come! yum indeed

Katsuhiko, my dad's family is from the Boracay area! His hometown is a 30 minutes from Caticlan, the port to take the ferry over. The one and only time I have been diving was in Boracay, much fun!

Mmm, shrimp sinigang is one of my favorites. Ill put that one on the primal dinner list. The squid, crab, fish, shellfish in the Philippines is to die for. Is it lunch yet?

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Hi, Rona! If you haven't found it already, there is a Meetup group in Chicago called Paleo Chicago. If you're looking to eat and work out with fellow Groks/Grokettes...

BeatMD is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom B-D View Post
    Hi, Rona! If you haven't found it already, there is a Meetup group in Chicago called Paleo Chicago. If you're looking to eat and work out with fellow Groks/Grokettes...
    hey im from Chicago too, i actually just signed up for the Meetup group

Thanks Tom B-D and BeatMD! I'll check out the Meetup Group!

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Welcome! My main form of exercise is splashing around in a pool, aka aqua "aerobics," which is more than aerobics. It includes sprint intervals, flexibility and resistance. The instructor is 93 years old and she is going strong.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

I've never done aqua aerobics but they do offer classes at my gym. Time to try something new!

Today is day 3 and Im feeling pretty good. Besides, the veggies, I feel like Im eating alot of meat so Im going to try and make a conscious effort to eat more seafood. Cooking and meal planning takes up quite a bit of time but once I get the hang of it that should get easier. So far so good!