Thread: Wisdom teeth getting pulled. page

TerpsPwn_387 is offline Member

Wisdom teeth getting pulled.

Shop Now
    Hello everyone. Today I am getting my wisdom teeth pulled and was wondering what I should consume during my recovery. I tend to lose weight if I don't eat enough.

I usually stay away from dairy and whey protein but I was thinking about making a shake with milk, raw eggs, and whey.

What do you think?

Thank you in advance.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    It's been a long time since I had my wisdom teeth pulled, but I just ate soft foods after the first day. Scrambled eggs was one of them. Of course, this was in the 1980's, so I also ate stuff like pasta, but more primal friendly foods such as soft cooked veggies, ground meats, bananas, cooked fruits - applesauce, soups.

UTfootball747 is offline Member
    You should probably follow the advice of the surgeon performing the procedure. In my experience, I went back to eating as normal the next day--but everyone is different.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    I had my wisdom teeth out when I was 19.

I don't know what to advise you to eat. It'll depend on how difficult your surgery is. Mine was about as easy it can get. I had 4 teeth that'd had cut through halfway, but none were impacted and the surgeon even decided the wounds were fine to heal on their own without stitches.
    He recommended mashed potatoes for recovery, which are sort of Primal. I hate mashed potatoes though, so I didn't eat those.
    Nothing I ate was all that great, though this was long before I knew about Primal.
    Mostly pasta cut into tiny bites to avoid slurping with various creamy sauces, chocolate frozen yogurt, and the occasional Jello. My mom bought me some Carnation instant breakfast too, but they tasted nasty so I only drank one of those. I also ate raisins that I gnoshed with my front teeth like a rabbit.
    After I was declared OK at my follow up visit, I went back to eating normally because I felt fine. There were some times when I got food stuck in the holes and had to work it out by gargling with mouthwash, but that just comes with the territory.
    Since I was eating so much sugar I was afraid I'd gain weight, but instead I lost weight and I don't lose easily so you may lose some weight. I think it's fairly normal after having oral surgery to drop a few pounds because it's harder to eat.

Just eat what you feel like eating. If smoothies sound good have smoothies, mashed potatoes if you like them, lukewarm soup, lukewarm cream tea. Can't really think of much else that's Primal. If you wanted to buy some Primal fuel, that might be an option as well for meal shakes. Also, if you want something that isn't Primal and nothing else sounds edible, I'd even say it's ok to relax your rules a bit.

I think the biggest points are:
    1. Don't take any narcotic painkillers on an empty stomach
    2. Don't smoke or drink with a straw. You don't want a dry socket.

252dlp is offline Senior Member
    Mine was a long time ago as well, but I remember liquids the first day home. Can't remember what I ate after that, but I'm pretty sure it was soft foods for a day or two. Your surgeon will have some ideas as well. If you have coconut milk in the house you can make your shake with that as well.

A couple of years ago I had a molar pulled and a dental implant inserted at the same time. For that I definitely had to do soft foods for at least two weeks on that side. Unfortunately, I had to have a root canal on the other side during that second week, so had to have soft foods for almost a month, lol.

My current diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread100765.html
    My original diary: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread77760.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Soft foods other than those already mentioned - sweet potatoes, summer squash which can be sauteed in butter or bacon fat, winter squashes roasted,

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I had a wisdom extracted that needed stitches. I got it pulled after work and was so stoned/ in pain I didn't want food. I think I ate some over easy eggs. The next day, I ate more eggs, some soup (I didn't cook it as hot as usual, mostly lukewarm) and had steak with salad for dinner, chewing on the OTHER side of my mouth. I rarely use a straw and prefer room temperature beverages, so that wasn't an issue for me.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Lots of homemade bone broths, soups, and grass fed butter for the vitamin K2.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    When I got my wisdoms taken out, I pretty much did not eat for 2 days after surgery. My mouth was too bloody, and I was too nauseated from the full body anesthesia I had.

Afterwards, I ate a whole lot of applesauce, mashed taters, and soup. There's really not a whole lot that can be done to avoid 'not eating a lot. If you want protein, maybe try some quinoa pasta. I didn't eat meat for like 5 days, and the first meat I had was chicken. Easier to chew than red meats. Maybe try shrimp?
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

s-piper is offline Senior Member
    That's a good point it will also depend on how you react to the anesthesia, trauma, and medication.

I had conscious sedation and Novocaine. I felt totally lucid afterward, though probably wasn't. I was also thirsty and starving immediately. In fact I had to wait for the Novocaine to wear off so that I could swallow without choking.
    I had mine first thing in the morning, and had water and jello for an lunch, lazed around watching TV for a few hours to see how that sat, and then told my mom that for dinner wanted Mac&Cheese and some extra strength Ibuprofin.
    Things pretty much went smoothly from there.