Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Type 1 Diabetic Scared to take the leap! page 2

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by brookesam View Post
    BTW, from what I understand ketosis and ketoacidosis are two different things.
    This.

I think that as long as you don't try to go VLC (<50g/day) you should be fine.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Before you take any action, please buy and read "Diabetes Solution" by Richard K. Bernstein, M.D. He is also a type 1 diabetic since he was about 10. He is now a recognized expert in this field. His patients include the oldest living Type 1 diabetics.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis and Ketoacidosis are not the same.

Metabolic Effects of the Very-Low-Carbohydrate DiDiabetic Ketoacidosis vs. Dietary Ketosis

Diabetic patients know that the detection in their urine of the ketone bodies is a danger signal that their diabetes is poorly controlled. Indeed, in severely uncontrolled diabetes, if the ketone bodies are produced in massive supranormal quantities, they are associated with ketoacidosis [5]. In this life-threatening complication of diabetes mellitus, the acids 3-hydroxybutyric acid and acetoacetic acid are produced rapidly, causing high concentrations of protons, which overwhelm the body's acid-base buffering system. However, during very low carbohydrate intake, the regulated and controlled production of ketone bodies causes a harmless physiological state known as dietary ketosis. In ketosis, the blood pH remains buffered within normal limits [5]. Ketone bodies have effects on insulin and glucagon secretions that potentially contribute to the control of the rate of their own formation because of antilipolytic and lipolytic hormones, respectively [9]. Ketones also have a direct inhibitory effect on lipolysis in adipose tissue [10].

Interestingly, the effects of ketone body metabolism suggest that mild ketosis may offer therapeutic potential in a variety of different common and rare disease states [11]. The large categories of disease for which ketones may have therapeutic effects are: 1) diseases of substrate insufficiency or insulin resistance; 2) diseases resulting from free radical damage; and 3) disease resulting from hypoxia [11].ets: Misunderstood "Villains" of Human Metabolism
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

KatList is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Derek - good to hear from another Type 1! I am an insulin-resistant, Type I and am also on a pump (MiniMed). I have been tweaking diet and exercise combinations pretty much since I was diagnosed (at 13 yrs-old) and I have to say that a modified primal way of eating is probably the most steadying to blood sugar and insulin requirement I've found. I would not worry at all about the whole ketone issue at all. I think the ideal carb intake is dependent on your workout routine - if you're doing crossfit 4x a week and running and kiteboarding on the weekends then you will require more carbs to function. Obviously the first week or two you're going to want to double up on testing your blood sugar. There are times where I feel like I've eaten a ton of food and think "I better take some more insulin", but have forced myself to go back and list what I actually ate and realize that "more insulin" would send me through the floor. So there is some adjustment to your norms that you'll have to watch, but it sounds like you're already a control freak about it so that's good :-)

I have found that a combination of Primal and Body Ecology (food combining principles and the inclusion of fermented foods) has been the most amazing thing for drastically ironing out my brittle blood sugar numbers. I have found that moderate protein, moderate carbs (from vegis) and higher fat has allowed me to maintain beautiful blood sugars, with greatly reduced insulin intake and still feel completely satiated.

I hope you keep us updated on how primal works for you and how you like it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12