Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing meals/intermittent fasting

Hybrid View

Missing meals/intermittent fasting

I have been experimenting with various meal plans and for past few weeks have been experimenting with 2 meals a day (cutting out lunch) I just wondered if this is ok or if it may have adverse results? I am cutting body fat (currently around 18%) and conditioning muscles rather than mass bulking up.

Example day would be:
    Breakfast: 3 egg omlette (usually bacon, chicken or steak), some fruit (apple or grapes) & a protein shake (I know people on here don't tend to be a fan but I find they help with the training)
    Water throughout the day with cups of tea (I work in a trade its customary although may switch to green)
    Evening: Shepards pie with sweet potato mash and as much veg as we can squeeze into the mix

Thanks

I have been doing 2 meals a day (about 8 hours apart) for months now. Have had no problems with doing it.

I was doing breakfast and early dinner for quite some time (no lunch since no hunger) but I realized that I was not even hungry in the morning. Breakfast had been such a long time habit. When I read material from a poster called pklopp regarding IF (one meal a day - preferably early dinner - with occasional 44 hour fast), I decided to give this a try because of how little hungry I felt on a 2 meal-a-day. I had no problem adapting to one meal (a good large meal but I am not overdoing it either) but have yet to try skipping it occasionally (every 2 weeks or so). \

The benefits:
    - you run a lot on your fat store. Since you skip breakfast, you continue the night fast which relies mostly on fat
    - you feel energized because of reliance on ketones, especially if you take a spoonful of coconut oil just before bed and say in your morning tea or coffee
    - you spare quite some money by eating one meal a day
    - you don't care too much about calorie intake (of course, you should not stuff yourself like you won't eat for a month!)
    - depending on your physical activity, you can balance carbs (starches) / fat accordingly. When I do nothing, I use more fat and little carb, when I am very active, I eat more carbs and not so much fat.

With all this, I can tell you, my health has progressed in the right direction. Since I am a dad of 2 (1.5 y.o. and 3.y.o) I need to be on top of things because kids that young will wear you out quick! Especially with night sleep interruptions that can be too many for comfort ...

Prior to that, I was on a very low carb - high fat diet (about 6 months) but after correcting my fat metabolism (I was on a rather SAD eating plan for a long time), I see no point in continuing this as adding carbs and lowering fat on very active days seem to be very healthy, especially one this one-meal-a-day schedule.

20/4 one meal time in evening, probably consuming 2/3rds of previous food consumption, drifted into that mode for last few months after switching to paleo/primal 18 months ago.
    1 rule listen to your body, do not try to force things, your body rules what goes on within, brain only rules in the outside world.

Since I started experimenting with IF I have been losing weight and fat more easily and gaining muscle. I look leaner than I have ever looked in my life.

I'm a fan. I eat lunch and dinner in a 4-6 hour window so.....18 - 20 hours a day I'm fasting. I love it. I have lots of energy. Not a breakfast lover anyway so it's never been a problem. I too am putting on muscle and losing fat faster since I started. Since you're still in the experimental stage perhaps you could try not eating breakfast or not eating dinner instead of lunch, just so your eating window is smaller. To see if that feels better/different, or helps you achieve your goals. Your example meals look good.

I tried one meal a day but was starving by about 1pm as my job is pretty physical. Maybe I could do one proper meal and a lunch snack (some fruit & a shake or something)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    20/4 one meal time in evening, probably consuming 2/3rds of previous food consumption, drifted into that mode for last few months after switching to paleo/primal 18 months ago.
    1 rule listen to your body, do not try to force things, your body rules what goes on within, brain only rules in the outside world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane. View Post
    I tried one meal a day but was starving by about 1pm as my job is pretty physical. Maybe I could do one proper meal and a lunch snack (some fruit & a shake or something)

Thanks
    Did you read the detail, I was Primal/Paleo for 12-14 monthhs before I went to 1 meal per day, listen to your body, just eat right and don't force it.
    my breakfasts just went later and later, then merged into an early lunch, then lunch went later and later then just merged into an early dinner and there you are, 3 to 2 to 1, but note the time frame.
    And yes I do hard physical labour, no problems.
    Maybe you can do it in 6 months, maybe it will take 2 years or more, don't stress over it, just eat well, don't force it and listen to your body.

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    Did you read the detail, I was Primal/Paleo for 12-14 monthhs before I went to 1 meal per day, listen to your body, just eat right and don't force it.
    my breakfasts just went later and later, then merged into an early lunch, then lunch went later and later then just merged into an early dinner and there you are, 3 to 2 to 1, but note the time frame, maybe you can do it in 6 months, maybe it will take 2 years or more, don't stress over it, just eat well, don't force it and listen to your body.
    Fully agree. I was primal for 6 months as a corrective measure for my metabolism before I really started to feel my food needs. I ditched lunch first as it was more of a social thing at work - I truly was not hungry. I then switched to bulletproof coffee for breakfast with sometimes a couple of eggs and bacon because I also cook for my wife and kids. But then, I realized I was not even hungry during the morning. So I ditched breakfast altogether as well (but kept coffee and spoonful of coconut oil, I like good coffee in the morning ). And lo and behold: true hunger only kicked in during late afternoon. I had not looked back since I started this eating schedule. I feel really good on it and it feels like I am much more aware of how good food tastes during dinner! It became a real enjoyment to eat, not just a mindless stuffing

But yeah, I would recommend to approach this once you are really fat adapted as your body will rely on fat store for the fasting period (4 hours after dinner to start of next dinner). Read pklopp take on IF (3 parts) really informative

Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

J.
    Last edited by dkJames; 04-11-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane. View Post

Thanks
    I hadn't eaten breakfast for years when I read about intermittent fasting. But I tried one day to switch to a 19/5 window of eating and wasn't able to do it. Later I read the Fast-5 book (download free off their site) and found that they recommend easing into it over a period of weeks by pushing back breakfast until it merges with lunch, then pushing back lunch. I was able to make the transition effectively in that way.