Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Missing meals/intermittent fasting page

Shane. is offline Junior Member

Missing meals/intermittent fasting

Shop Now
    I have been experimenting with various meal plans and for past few weeks have been experimenting with 2 meals a day (cutting out lunch) I just wondered if this is ok or if it may have adverse results? I am cutting body fat (currently around 18%) and conditioning muscles rather than mass bulking up.

Example day would be:
    Breakfast: 3 egg omlette (usually bacon, chicken or steak), some fruit (apple or grapes) & a protein shake (I know people on here don't tend to be a fan but I find they help with the training)
    Water throughout the day with cups of tea (I work in a trade its customary although may switch to green)
    Evening: Shepards pie with sweet potato mash and as much veg as we can squeeze into the mix

Thanks

smartuko is offline Senior Member
    I have been doing 2 meals a day (about 8 hours apart) for months now. Have had no problems with doing it.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I was doing breakfast and early dinner for quite some time (no lunch since no hunger) but I realized that I was not even hungry in the morning. Breakfast had been such a long time habit. When I read material from a poster called pklopp regarding IF (one meal a day - preferably early dinner - with occasional 44 hour fast), I decided to give this a try because of how little hungry I felt on a 2 meal-a-day. I had no problem adapting to one meal (a good large meal but I am not overdoing it either) but have yet to try skipping it occasionally (every 2 weeks or so). \

The benefits:
    - you run a lot on your fat store. Since you skip breakfast, you continue the night fast which relies mostly on fat
    - you feel energized because of reliance on ketones, especially if you take a spoonful of coconut oil just before bed and say in your morning tea or coffee
    - you spare quite some money by eating one meal a day
    - you don't care too much about calorie intake (of course, you should not stuff yourself like you won't eat for a month!)
    - depending on your physical activity, you can balance carbs (starches) / fat accordingly. When I do nothing, I use more fat and little carb, when I am very active, I eat more carbs and not so much fat.

With all this, I can tell you, my health has progressed in the right direction. Since I am a dad of 2 (1.5 y.o. and 3.y.o) I need to be on top of things because kids that young will wear you out quick! Especially with night sleep interruptions that can be too many for comfort ...

Prior to that, I was on a very low carb - high fat diet (about 6 months) but after correcting my fat metabolism (I was on a rather SAD eating plan for a long time), I see no point in continuing this as adding carbs and lowering fat on very active days seem to be very healthy, especially one this one-meal-a-day schedule.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    20/4 one meal time in evening, probably consuming 2/3rds of previous food consumption, drifted into that mode for last few months after switching to paleo/primal 18 months ago.
    1 rule listen to your body, do not try to force things, your body rules what goes on within, brain only rules in the outside world.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Since I started experimenting with IF I have been losing weight and fat more easily and gaining muscle. I look leaner than I have ever looked in my life.

little vase is offline Senior Member
    I'm a fan. I eat lunch and dinner in a 4-6 hour window so.....18 - 20 hours a day I'm fasting. I love it. I have lots of energy. Not a breakfast lover anyway so it's never been a problem. I too am putting on muscle and losing fat faster since I started. Since you're still in the experimental stage perhaps you could try not eating breakfast or not eating dinner instead of lunch, just so your eating window is smaller. To see if that feels better/different, or helps you achieve your goals. Your example meals look good.

Shane. is offline Junior Member
    I tried one meal a day but was starving by about 1pm as my job is pretty physical. Maybe I could do one proper meal and a lunch snack (some fruit & a shake or something)

Thanks

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Even though I have been eating really well for about a year now, fasting still is the biggest contributor for me to lose weight (not necessarily just body fat)

the best protocol for me has been fasting until lunch (12.30-1pm) 5/6 times a week (i like to have a breakfast about 11am at the weekend)

I also chuck in a couple of 24 hr fasts on Mondays and Fridays.

Find out what works for you.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    I tend to just eat lunch and dinner, although I tend to have a spoonful of coconut oil in my coffee first thing in the morning.

I used to have a real issue with breakfast as it seemed that no matter how much I ate, I was always hungry well before lunch. These days that just doesn't happen and the last couple of days I've been delayed in the morning so lunch has been later, with absolutely no problem at all.

Occasionally I'll eat breakfast and skip lunch (usually Sundays when I do a heavy lifting session early afternoon), then eat dinner. That works for me too, but I prefer lunch and dinner.

It seems to be the thing that has finally enabled me to get to grips with my hunger and it feels great.

otzi Guest
    I'm having good luck with no breakfast, a potato (no butter or other dairy) for lunch, and a regular dinner.

I think the high GI carb lunch sets you up nicely for your evening meal with a phenomenon called 'second meal effect' in that the composition of your first meal greatly inluences your second meal in terms of glucose and insulin response.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast