Thread: Has Primal living helped with Hypoglycemia in you or anyone you know? page

Larry Poppins is offline Junior Member

Has Primal living helped with Hypoglycemia in you or anyone you know?

Primal Fuel
    There is a good chance that I am hypoglycemic.

I was on day 6 of a waterfast and suddenly had a hypoglycemic attack. I don't know why it would suddenly appear after 6 days of fasting. I have been having more mild problems with it for several weeks since ending the fast.

I have taken a blood test and will now go to see an endocrinologist.

My questions are, if you have medically diagnosed hypoglycemia, did going primal help you at all? Did it help you extend the time between meals and alleviate your symptoms? Again, I'd really appreciate if you told me if you had medically diagnosed hypoglycemia or not. Often times, people say they are hypoglycemic when they are merely carb addicted. I had my hypoglycemic attack after 6 days of ZERO eating. I am hoping that going primal will help.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but the thought of having to eat small meals ever 2-3 hours to alleviate symptoms of a crash just makes life seem like it's not worth living.

I am strongly considering going primal.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    I started 18 months ago and now am down to 1 meal/day (4hr window) and happier than ever, can't comment on the medical Hypoglycaemia, never been there.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    My sister has medically diagnosed hypoglycemia, and she gets attacks if she skips meals. She doesn't need to eat 'frequently,' but she has to have 3 meals a day. Two of her meals are very small.

If you went so long without any food before you had an attack, it's unlikely that you have a problem--or your problem is minor and you will do fine as long as you avoid long fasts.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    I have diagnosed reactive hypoglycemia (hypoglycemia 1-2 hours after eating a meal) which disappeared pretty much entirely since going Primal. The few attacks I've had since then have been due to eating too many carbs in one meal, such as when I occasionally allow myself white rice or potatoes and then eat too much of it, or eat anything with more than 10g sugar. I've also had an attack from fasting too long. I've had a gastric bypass, so my anatomy is a little different, but I would highly suggest a Primal diet to anyone suffering from hypoglycemia because it helps keep blood sugar in control. It used to baffle me why I still was having reactive hypoglycemia even when I was eating the way my doctor recommended, but once I ditched the grains I was fine.

drogers81 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    I have diagnosed reactive hypoglycemia (hypoglycemia 1-2 hours after eating a meal) which disappeared pretty much entirely since going Primal.
    This was me too. I have lived with reactive hypoglycemia all my life (two seizures as a young child and then another in college due to low blood sugar).

All my life was about avoiding sugars (and probably ingesting too much artificial sweetener) and always feeling like I was missing out. I would eat six meals a day – three large and three snacks and if I didn’t, the response I had was very noticeable. My wife would carry around granola bars if I ever had an episode.

Since I have cut out grains and dairy and started to eat according to PB (18 months), the change in by life has been dramatic. My reactive hypoglycemia is under control. I don’t have the highs and the lows that I lived with and feared throughout my life. I have even recently experimented (successfully) with an 8 hour eating window (this would have been unheard of as recently as two years ago).

So did PB cure my hypoglycemia? No, I don’t think so (at least I am not willing to proclaim that yet). What it did was lessen the highs, which in turn lessens the lows. Because reactive hypoglycemia is caused by an over-active pancreas producing too much insulin (which shortens the “life expectancy” of the pancreas, thus leading to diabetes) by limiting my carbs and not triggering the need to more insulin removes the reactive nature of the response.

And I have got to tell you – I do not miss the brain fog that came from missing a meal or snack.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    I used to be hypoglycemic between meals. I would wake up in the morning, ravenous, shaking with hunger, feeling anxiety, light-headed. It would go away after I ate breakfast (usually cereal in 1% milk, maybe a bagel or waffles) and sometimes occur again before dinner.

Cutting out grains & refined carbohydrates was enough to fix that. I focus on getting plenty of protein in the AM and I'm fine. The symptoms still occur if I eat a high-sugar breakfast (feel badly before/by lunch time).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Larry Poppins is offline Junior Member
    I'm fairly impressed by the responses I've received so far. Thank you to all of you who have responded. You have given me hope.

Paleobird Guest
    My BFF is an elderly lady who was highly hypoglycemic (not to mention borderline diabetic) before going Primal. She used to carry emergency food in her purse at all times, "Just in case".

Now she has reversed the diabetes diagnosis, lost a bunch of weight and happily skips meals with no problem.

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, I have had medically diagnosed hypoglycemia since I was 14. For many decades I always carried some hard cheese, salami, and a candy bar in my purse. Over time I learned to eat often, including snacking, without thinking about it. With age the symptons have either greatly decreased or disappeared. PB has helped by stopping the sugar habit. I never IF. Not often, but very occasionally, if meals are very far apart, that weak feeling comes (I eat as soon as possible).