Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Lot of Work page

A Lot of Work

Shop Now
    I haven't seen any other posts comparing PB to the Atkins diet or the South Beach diet, and maybe I'm speaking sac religiously (lol) but there are aspects of it that remind me of the Atkins. I was "on" that diet a few years ago and did really well, and that's partly why I KNOW this one will work, especially since I'm not using this as a diet, but as a lifestyle that I won't get off of.

Anyway, in reading several different posts and most of the PB book - honestly when it comes to the science and numbers for everything, I lose interest for the most part, I've come to realize that the PB (just like Atkins) is way more in depth than I really have interest in knowing. Yeah, I want to know WHY and HOW something works, but I'm not a body-builder. I'm not a hard core athlete, nor do I ever intend to be. I'm doing this and my husband is too, for our health. We want to lose weight, feel better, look better, get sick less often, DO AWAY with allergies and asthma, and all the other positives that go along with this lifestyle. When I was on the Atkins diet I felt better than ever, and successfully lost 20lbs in 3 months. I'm not seriously overweight, just way more than I am comfortable with. I'm 5'0, and I started this this week, at 136lbs. I've lost about 3 lbs so far.

But my question is...is it really necessary to count the PUFA's, and calories, and all that other STUFF that bores me to death? Does it matter if I'm in ketosis or not? There is ALOT of information that I don't understand because I'm too bored to read it. I want to know that eating wholesome meat and vegetables and no grains and sugars...is going to be enough. How in depth does a person like me have to be with the details of it all if I feel better and look better? I don't need 6-pack abs, or man-like muscles.

Does this make sense? I'm not lazy by any means. I don't do Weight Watchers because I do NOT want to count crap all the time. I also don't want to do that for any other nutritional lifestyle. Probably makes me sound not too dedicated, but I just need to know what y'all think.

April in Texas

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    I've done Atkins off and on for years with successful losses. I think you could look at PB as similar to Atkins because it emphasizes meats and veggies, eschews sugar. However, PB places emphasis on eating natural/whole foods without additional processing or preservation. Atkins (especially now that he's dead) doesn't seem to mind if you eat an Akins bar full of crap, artificial sweetners, etc as long as it's low carb. Atkins also focuses on losing weight, but not so much on overall health, wellness and exercise. I don't watch my ratios as closesly as I should to be considered completely primal. However, I do eat whole, natural, organic, wild caught or grassfed foods. I leave off processed foods, sugars and artificial sweetners. I don't compare almonds to walnuts to cashews because I don't really care to take it to that level. I supplement with high quality omega 3's and eat fish occassionally and figure that's about as good as I'm going to get. I don't count calories, I don't count carbs (mostly estimate). I DO care if I'm in ketosis because that's the only way I can lose weight and maintain natural appetite suppression.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    Actually I found the PB to be generally LESS work. If someone has certain goals, like weight loss, they may find that they have to look a little deeper if weight loss isn't coming. Most of us are starting out with various forms of unhealthiness and/or disease and nutritional deficiencies. It takes time... and some searching to figure out what those deficiencies are to fill them. Most people here only count calories to get an idea of what they're eating and their fat/protein/carb ratios. Once they have a handle on what that looks like for them, they usually drop it unless at some point their weight loss is stalling or going up and they want to see if maybe they're overdoing something again.

Counting carbs might not be something you need to do. Or, you can do everything right and not be losing because your body needs to be under a certain amount of carbs. At that point you'll have to decide-- count carbs and lose, or forget it. Honestly I think that once you do it every day for a short period of time you'll then know what your meals translate to carb-wise and won't need to do it anymore. However it can be easy to get taken in by a food, thinking it's fine, and not realizing it has 50, or 100 carbs in it.

I also think getting a handle on the ratio of fats/carbs/protein you eat is helpful at first because so many people fall way short on fats and are hungry, or too high on carbs and have crashes. But if you think you're feeling fine, then no reason to do it.

I suggest just going about it how you are, and then if you hit a snag you can take a closer look then.
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

coach81 is offline Senior Member
    I have yet to count one single calorie since I started about 2 months ago.. my thinking is.. I will listen to my body, and eat when I am hungry. So far, I'm about 20 lbs down.. and currently the lightest I've ever been as an adult.

mjoshuahill is offline Member
    I am in the same boat as coach regarding eating when hungry and listening to specific cravings like the "fat now" ones when I am not eating enough. Working well for me so far.
    It is sad that the measuring stick of our progress is the speed by which we distance ourselves from the natural world. Even sadder is that we will only see this when there is no nature left to save.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    If you are staying away from all grains, starchy vegs, fruit, and most nuts you should be fine.

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    I don't count. Actually, I do a bit, now that I think about it, but all by eyeball - they are more rules to make sure I'm eating enough while I get used to the change in my diet. I try to have a cup of veggies (or fruits) at every meal, and over the course of the week, about five times as many veggies as fruits. I try to eat protein at every meal or snack, and usually my serving is around the size of my palm, but I find if I skimped at another meal I might be hungry for more, and then I eat more. I use as much olive oil or coconut oil as I want, sometimes sesame oil. I eat seeds and nuts as an afternoon snack with a couple of dried figs to boost my calcium, and I supplement with omega 3 and probiotics. Even this amount of tracking is possibly unnecessary, but I can get very light-headed and even incredibly nauseated before I realize I'm hungry (whether I've had any fruits or other carbs that day or not), so I like to plan ahead. Eventually I imagine I will be able to figure out how much I can eat and not worry about even this much, more primal, I suppose.

I think the quality of the ingredients, especially when it comes to the meat, is very important. Only organic poultry, and only 100% grass-fed beef. This helps keep the ratios in line without thinking too much about it day to day. I can't do dairy - a few times a week (and always post-work out) I even have some of the leftover grains I bought before I decided to go completely primal. I'm insulin sensitive so I lose at a steady clip this way. If you are more resistant you may need to watch your dairy and your total carb intake. I burned myself out doing all that years ago, and I won't do it again unless I have to.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    No, you don't have to count PUFAs or any of that, nor do you have to understand all about leptin and small low density lipoprotiens. If you trust that Mark and others are 'telling the truth' then just follow those PB 10 rules - they are simple and easy to understand. Personally, if I'm going to go against the advice of 95% of the medical establishment and follow a way of eating that my own cardiologist says will kill me quickly, I want to know that stuff and have some confidence in it. It's my life after all. I try and keep it simple - I take 2000 IU of vit D, 2 good quality fish oil tablets, and a men's formula multivitamin every day unless I forget, and since I never used to take any of that, I do forget sometimes. Those quantities seem to be safe, not excessive, and easy to remember. The rest of it is just sticking to high quality, natural meats, fats, and veggies with the occasional fruit, and then looking at the rest of your lifestyle. Just take your time, do what seems right, listen to your body.

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. I do feel great. And oddly enough, even when I get hungry if I haven't planned the day's food well enough, I don't feel ANGRILY hungry like I used to. It's a hunger I can ignore or at least control. I don't get the headache with being hungry like I used to, and I also don't get the shakes from being hungry. (And I just realized this fact as I'm typing this - because I'm hungry!)

We are still eating raw almonds and other raw nuts, and more fruit, and I see that some people disagree with that. So, I think I need to re-visit the book and re-read the 10 rules. When the budget allows (and I'm talking about a very strict and tight budget) I will be able to buy only the BEST (organic) meats, but until then I can only do what I can do. I have always believed in eating the organic meats, but budget doesn't always agree with me.

And yeah, I do pretty much just trust Mark and his advice, because it makes sense, and I guess that's another reason I just take it at face value and try to do what I'm "told" instead of getting too far into the science of it. I think losing 3lbs in 5 days is pretty good for me, because I guess with my small build, I don't usually lose very fast.

April in Texas

DianeThePurple is offline Senior Member
    To address your original point about comparing to Atkins - I found Atkins to be way too complicated. All those phases? I never knew anyone who followed the phases all the way through maintenance.

Also PB is a life-long approach for general health, whereas Atkins is targeted for weight loss. So PB tends to be a bit more friendly to those who want to participate casually.

Good luck, and welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast