Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primal Diet = Kidney Stones? page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    This is a recent article on the subject:Ketogenic Diet Side Effects

From that link:"Kidney stone formation (nephrolithiasis) is associated with the diet for four reasons: [My comments in brackets]

Excess calcium in the urine (hypercalciuria) occurs due to increased bone demineralisation with acidosis.[NOTE: acidosis is problem in type 1 diabetic children, not normal ones.]

Hypocitraturia: the urine has an abnormally low concentration of citrate, which normally helps to dissolve free calcium.[Hence the potassium citrate supplements.]

The urine has a low pH, which stops uric acid from dissolving, leading to crystals that act as a nidus for calcium stone formation.

Many institutions traditionally restricted the water intake of patients on the diet to 80% of normal daily needs; this practice is no longer encouraged."

To this I would add that the diet has also been traditionally very heavily reliant on dairy products. The advent of MCT oil has allowed for a greater amount of fat without so much in the way of milk solids.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupo View Post
    Children on the Ketogenic diet for epilepsy are purposely kept dehydrated. Dehydration can cause kidney stones.

I'm not familiar with epilepsy meds, but there are meds that dehydrate and/or are known to cause kidney stones.
    Ketosis itself is not related to stones at all.
    And as long as you have healthy functional kidneys and don't have a history of stones(and are not on meds that put you at high risk) oxalates in foods are not an issue.

I have brain issues as well, though not epilepsy, and I have to take two meds for it that are know causers of CalOx stones, and one is specifically to cause my body to be unable to retain water because of elevated brain pressure (it dehydrates me)... that said my doctors are also very positive about me staying Keto as a part of my treatment.
    Staying HFLC has allowed me to cut the amount of meds I take drastically. Seriously drastically... from 3kmg/day to only 500-1kmg day! So... yeah. Keto it is.

There are some steps that I take to try and prevent crystals from building up in my kidneys so that I hopefully never have a stone event... so far it has worked.
    I avoid foods in the Very High and High oxalate range most of the time. I drink copious amounts of water to keep my kidneys flushed and clean, and I dose all my water with lime, key lime, or calamondin juice (simply because I prefer those to the taste of lemon) in order to keep the acidity of my urine a little high to erode any crystals that might form. And I supplement some potassium citrate.
    This has evidently worked. I get my urine tested regularly at Neurologist appointments and I'm always clear... my doc's are happy but have expressed their surprise, especially during the time I was at an extremely high dose of my meds when I was doing higher carb Paleo.
    Last edited by cori93437; 04-11-2013 at 10:14 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

tolerated is offline Junior Member
    Actually they can never improve until their calcium and magnesium intakes are adequate. Not infrequently physicians tell individuals with kidney stones to avoid all milk, thereby causing stones to form even more rapidly

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I'm not familiar with epilepsy meds, but there are meds that dehydrate and/or are known to cause kidney stones.
    Ketosis itself is not related to stones at all.
    And as long as you have healthy functional kidneys and don't have a history of stones(and are not on meds that put you at high risk) oxalates in foods are not an issue.

I have brain issues as well, though not epilepsy, and I have to take two meds for it that are know causers of CalOx stones, and one is specifically to cause my body to be unable to retain water because of elevated brain pressure (it dehydrates me)... that said my doctors are also very positive about me staying Keto as a part of my treatment.
    Staying HFLC has allowed me to cut the amount of meds I take drastically. Seriously drastically... from 3kmg/day to only 500-1kmg day! So... yeah. Keto it is.

There are some steps that I take to try and prevent crystals from building up in my kidneys so that I hopefully never have a stone event... so far it has worked.
    I avoid foods in the Very High and High oxalate range most of the time. I drink copious amounts of water to keep my kidneys flushed and clean, and I dose all my water with lime, key lime, or calamondin juice (simply because I prefer those to the taste of lemon) in order to keep the acidity of my urine a little high to erode any crystals that might form. And I supplement some potassium citrate.
    This has evidently worked. I get my urine tested regularly at Neurologist appointments and I'm always clear... my doc's are happy but have expressed their surprise, especially during the time I was at an extremely high dose of my meds when I was doing higher carb Paleo.
    Yes, most epilepsy meds do have the same side effects as your brain swelling meds.

This brings up an interesting point. While the kids on the keto study were those with refractory epilepsy (meaning the meds didn't stop them) I don't know that any of them were med free.

I'm glad you've been able to cut back on your meds. I'm down 25% off both my seizure meds and feeling fine on keto. It's so fun when your body works the way it's supposed to for a change.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes, most epilepsy meds do have the same side effects as your brain swelling meds.

This brings up an interesting point. While the kids on the keto study were those with refractory epilepsy (meaning the meds didn't stop them) I don't know that any of them were med free.

I'm glad you've been able to cut back on your meds. I'm down 25% off both my seizure meds and feeling fine on keto. It's so fun when your body works the way it's supposed to for a change.
    I'm still at 100% dose. I've been feeling much better on primal with low carb, mod protein, high fat, but afraid to cut back on meds as I'm still a couple years out of being able to apply for a job in which you need to be seizure free 5 yrs on medication... Only two more years... I've had no issues with stones.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metric View Post
    I'm still at 100% dose. I've been feeling much better on primal with low carb, mod protein, high fat, but afraid to cut back on meds as I'm still a couple years out of being able to apply for a job in which you need to be seizure free 5 yrs on medication... Only two more years... I've had no issues with stones.
    Who says you have to tell the truth? Just sayin'...
    It's a silly rule and fibbing to get around such a discriminatory rule wouldn't bother me a bit.

kidneystones is offline Junior Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123