Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Diet = Kidney Stones? page 2

Chupo is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Children on the Ketogenic diet for epilepsy are purposely kept dehydrated. Dehydration can cause kidney stones.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I am under the impression that, so long as you are urinating fairly frequently, you should be fine. Could be wrong though, I often am.

M.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chupo View Post
    Children on the Ketogenic diet for epilepsy are purposely kept dehydrated. Dehydration can cause kidney stones.
    Yes , this was the case in the early years of this protocol but is no longer true. Yet the concerns about kidney stones prevail due to outdated information.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Yes , this was the case in the early years of this protocol but is no longer true. Yet the concerns about kidney stones prevail due to outdated information.
    It was true and suddenly is not even though the mechanism of ketosis is exactly the same? Makes sense to me.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    It was true and suddenly is not even though the mechanism of ketosis is exactly the same? Makes sense to me.
    No, you misunderstood. It was true that children were deliberately kept dehydrated but that is no longer the case. Ketosis never did have anything to do with the kidney stone issue.

Chupo is offline Member
    Thanks. That's reassuring.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    So does that mean there is data now showing the kids kept at normal hydration levels while on ketogenic diets don't get kidney stones?

I'd love to see the data if you have a link available.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    So does that mean there is data now showing the kids kept at normal hydration levels while on ketogenic diets don't get kidney stones?

I'd love to see the data if you have a link available.
    I don't think anyone did randomized double blind tests or anything. They just stopped with the silly water restrictions and the kidney stones stopped being a problem.

Some good general resources for the history and more modern variations of ketosis for epilepsy can be found by googling Johns Hopkins+ketosis and also the AtkinsForSeizures.com site.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I don't think anyone did randomized double blind tests or anything. They just stopped with the silly water restrictions and the kidney stones stopped being a problem.

Some good general resources for the history and more modern variations of ketosis for epilepsy can be found by googling Johns Hopkins+ketosis and also the AtkinsForSeizures.com site.
    I've been doing some more searching and I can't really find this info. I did see that the JOhns Hopkins protocol had added potassium citrate to combat the formation of stones. Is this not the current protocol?

I also saw the report that adults who had been on a ketogenic diet for seizures as children did not have increased rates of kidney stones, but nothing about the change in stone formation with the absence of water restriction.

Any suggestions?
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I've been doing some more searching and I can't really find this info. I did see that the JOhns Hopkins protocol had added potassium citrate to combat the formation of stones. Is this not the current protocol?

I also saw the report that adults who had been on a ketogenic diet for seizures as children did not have increased rates of kidney stones, but nothing about the change in stone formation with the absence of water restriction.

Any suggestions?
    I believe they added the potassium supplement to combat the kidney stone fears. Ketosis and kidney stones is like ketosis and hair loss. Both totally false correlations but it is hard to get rid of a meme once circulating.

I wish I could give you a page to look up. I have read so much about the subject but not kept it all catalogued. IIRC I read about the water restriction not being part of the current protocol on the AtkinsForSeizures.com website. It is meant as a resource/forum site for parents of kids with epilepsy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast