Thread: Otto von Bismark - Paleo success story? page

Otto von Bismark - Paleo success story?

Primal Fuel
    My boyfriend is reading Bismark: The Man and the Statesman by A.J.P. Taylor and pointed out a pretty interesting passage relating to Bismark's life that I was never aware of. Apparently after decades of obesity and health problems including nervous ticks and irritability, starting in 1883 Bismark underwent a total transformation in his health that corresponded to a new doctor who advised he eat a diet consisting almost entirely of Herring. Taylor claims this resulted in Bismark shedding 56 points, curing his sleep problem, clearing his eyes, and doing wonders for his skin. In an interesting note of how history repeats itself, the man who put him on this diet, a Dr. Schweninger, wasn't particularly well thought of among the German medical establishment. Bismark used his inflluence to force the University of Berlin to give him a professorship despite their protests.

barkingupthewrongdog is offline Junior Member
    Wow, I must read this book for both Paleo and German studies!...(having largely deemed the successes of Bismarck not very interesting compared to modern German history...) Dr Schweniger sounds like a nutritionist before his time! A paleo success in that it brought health back to a historical figure, but perhaps a fail due to lack of credit to the guy that implemented the diet...hard luck!

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barkingupthewrongdog View Post
    Wow, I must read this book for both Paleo and German studies!...(having largely deemed the successes of Bismarck not very interesting compared to modern German history...) Dr Schweniger sounds like a nutritionist before his time! A paleo success in that it brought health back to a historical figure, but perhaps a fail due to lack of credit to the guy that implemented the diet...hard luck!
    The 19th Century was really the golden age of German history when Germany was the center of arts, culture, and science. I think there is a primal lesson in that, in that smaller states are almost always better than large, centralized ones.