Thread: question about reusing 'juices' page

polos26 is offline Senior Member

question about reusing 'juices'

Primal Fuel
    So I have many times, while I am making multiple meals for a few days, 'recycled' the left over juices from a dish to cook another dish. Thats good so far right? When I got home from work and scooped the little bit of stew meat leftover from lunch, I had a lot of juice/sauce or whatever you wanna call it left. Is it ok to use this recycled juice a third time or is that plain nasty? or rancid?

Am I being too 'thrifty'? lol
    Loving my primal life

kathleen is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't reuse it after a couple of days, but in the same day or so, fine.

I once made a HUGE batch of chicken noodle soup, years ago, using chicken broth left over from the crock pot. For about a week, the soup tasted fine...then suddenly, it went sour. I guess the "juice" just wasn't good, and I should not have made that much soup!

I also make my own tomato sauce, and when it comes time to need more I will make more, and add any leftovers from the week before into the mix. I figure it's a week old, right? Well once I was eating tomato sauce and found ground beef in it. I had not used ground beef for 6 weeks... No longer do I mix it in together to "save" it, haha.

I don't think it's disgusting to reuse juice, I would just keep it within the same day or so. If it gets the point where you are storing fatty juices in the fridge for days to reuse, I don't think that would be very safe.
    Stumbled into Primal due to food allergies, and subsequent elimination of non-primal foods.

Start Gluten-Free/Soy-Free: December 2012; start weight 158lbs, Ladies size 6
    Start Primal: March 2013, start weight 150lbs, Ladies size 6
    Current: 132lbs, Ladies size 2
    F/23/5'9"

26lbs lost since cutting the crap.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    If it taste good, and you will cook it again, no reason not to. I reuse it all the time, to add to stocks. In either China or Japan, iirc there is a pot that has the stock that was simmered non-stop for like 100 years or so... It is very normal for any traditional culture to have a simmering pot that keeps going for a while, and to reuse everything. I make stocks from bones from roasted meat and chicken as well.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i re-use cooking liquids often. if you're concerned, be sure to boil the liquid for 5-10 minutes before using it again.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    It can be re-used indefinitely as long as you bring it to a boil again every few days.

Paleobird Guest
    Yes, a good sniff will tell you all you need to know. If unsure boil it.

I do this all the time. You get some of the yummiest flavors sometimes when the juices of one kind of animal are added to the cooking of the next. I might get a beef/lamb/goat/venison combination going as juices get recycled.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    when i braise meats, i do it in a pretty neutral liquid. after it's cooked, i keep about 1/2 and freeze that liquid for the next batch. the remainder i flavor and season however i feel. been doing this for months and it feels like keeping a sourdough starter. it has tons of meaty oomphy flavor, and am guessing tons of nutrition.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    tons of meaty oomphy flavor
    I like the way you describe things.

polos26 is offline Senior Member
    Ok! good to know. I guess I got worried b/c I knew there would be pieces of meat in the 'juice' I had at the moment, and straining it just didn't occur to me...duh!
    Loving my primal life