Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New guy checking in... kinda wordy. page

aliphian is offline Senior Member

New guy checking in... kinda wordy.

Hello everybody!

My name is Wes, I am 29 years old, live in central California, and my wife and I began our fitness journey about 2 years ago.

We were to attend a friend's wedding and in the process of buying some fitting clothes we realized that we had somehow gotten FAT!

At a height of 6'1" I was at 203lbs. That may not seem to horrible until you realize that my lean mass was only a small portion of that. I was almost purely skeleton and fat. I guess that is the price you pay for being completely lazy and in love with SAD (tasty) food.

So, we decided it was time to get into shape. We had heard some good things about P90X so we took the plunge. We followed the diet and training program religiously, missing only 2-3 workouts during the program and never cheating on the diet.

At the end of 90 days I was down to 174lbs and feeling pretty good! I wasn't quite in 6-pack territory, but I had dropped 4 inches from my waist (down to a 32) and I felt much stronger.

About the time that we finished P90X life got a bit more hectic and we allowed ourselves to fall right back into the same old routine of watching TV and eating junk food in our downtime (also didn't help that I was smoking almost a pack per day). It didn't take long for my muscle to transition back into fat. I didn't really gain inches back, but I lost a whole lot of strength and pretty much all muscle tone in just 12 months.

We decided that enough was enough and about 62 days ago we decided to do P90X again. Transitioning back into the diet and the hour + per day putting up Tony Horton's same tired jokes was NOT easy. The first two weeks were hell. My wife and I were both completely stressed out trying to follow the diet AND devote over an hour per day to working out.

I can't remember exactly how it happened, but somewhere around week 3 I came across MDA. I recognized Mark from the P90X videos. I started reading the blog and comparing the diet to the P90X plan that I was beginning to hate. After realizing that Mark seemed to know what he was talking about I approached my wife with it. We decided to give it a shot while continuing the P90x workouts.

By week 4 we were getting used to the primal way of eating and we had begun to slack off on the P90X workouts. Instead, we started taking our dog on longer daily walks than usual and I began doing pushups and pullups at my leisure. I kept the pullup bar in my hallway and every other day or so I would do 10 or so pull/chin ups and maybe 20 pushups. This was also the point that I decided to quit smoking! I had finally stopped killing myself.

Because of the P90X mentality that we had gotten into, we still weighed ourselves and recorded our weights everyday. Even with all the slacking off my wife and I kept seeing the fat melt off. It was at this point that I decided that Mark was onto something!

We abandoned P90x completely by week 6 and I ramped up my pushup and pullup regimen. We also just joined a gym so that I could gain access to "heavy things" to lift.

So here I am at day 62, I'm down to 163lbs, 30 inch waist and I'm finally getting some ab definition! Also, my pullup max has doubled in the past 30 days. I am really looking forward to adding the "lift heavy things" aspect to our routine this week although I must admit I am a little concerned about waltzing into the gym for the first time and immediately jumping into deadlifts and squats with basically no freeweight experience. Some advice here would be most welcome.

I'll update with pictures hopefully later tonight. I have to end this first post by giving a huge THANK YOU to Mark for putting this information together. I feel healthier than I ever have and I'm not done yet!

UPDATE: PHOTOS!

So between day 0 and about day 20, I was working out and eating on the P90X plan. I switched to the primal diet at day 20 and switched to primal blueprint fitness (minus lifting heavy) at about day 30.

Day 0 weight - 170.8lbs
    Day 30 weight - 168.4lbs
    Day 60 weight - 164.0lbs

Last edited by aliphian; 04-16-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I'm glad Primal is going so well. I wonder why newbies always think their stories are too long. They never are, especially if they are inspiring success stories like yours.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Hedonist2, I think it's very inspiring to get some idea of where people are coming from. It was almost reassuring to me that so many of the success stories started from such a low point and yet saw clear improvements. It means we can all aspire to seeing improvements, wherever we're starting from. Thank you, aliphian, for sharing your story and congratulations on your successes and on 62 days primal.

Katsuhiko the Rolfer is offline Senior Member
    great success story!

Thank you all for the kind words. I hope that I can keep a presence here on the forums. I need fresh ideas and accountability and I feel like that is what I will get here. I know I slacked off on the pictures, sorry guys. I have everything saved on the desktop at home and I am rarely there. Maybe tonight...

First post updated with photos finally!

vidic07 is offline Junior Member
    Nice story.. welcome to the forum
    Last edited by vidic07; 04-20-2013 at 09:01 PM.

I weighed in at 160 today. I think I need to up the calories, I don't want to waste away! Typical meals for a day looks something like this:

Breakfast - 3 fried eggs, 2 strips of bacon, 20-30oz of coffee with a small amount of Coffee-Mate (I know, not primal)

Snack - Protein shake or greek yogurt or an apple

Lunch - Salad. Usually about 6 oz of chicken and 20oz of veggies, 2 tbsp of caesar dressing.

Snack - Handful of nuts

Dinner - Some big piece of meat and usually some carbs. Sweet potatoes or regular potatoes.

Where should I increase calories and with what?

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Welcome aliphian! You're obviously doing well and your diet looks great. If you don't have problems with Dairy, that can add a lot of calories. If you get more interested in cooking, sauces can also add calories. Browse ChacoTaco's posts for adding calories also, although not everyone agrees with him. In the 1950's a 5'11" male at 135 was average.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cryptocode, I do enjoy cooking! I have been adding full fat dairy lately to most dinners. I also added some sour cream to my home-made caesar dressing. Thank you for your suggestions, I will look into ChacoTaco's posts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast